Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 11:27:39 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1691073
  • Total Topics: 118370
  • Online Today: 823
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: The Medical Centre - WIP- Major Update (lots pics) 13-8-10  (Read 18527 times)

Offline Braz

• Mad Scientist
Hi all, thought I'd share one of the two big builds I have on the go. Presented here is the Medical Centre, good for all sorts of disaster scenarios. Phase 1 is what I am working on at the moment and consists of a stand alone building that would fit comfortably in a small town or suburb. The centre consists of an admissions area with an admin office and waiting area, two doctor offices/exam rooms, a multipurpose room which will either have diagnostics equipment (MRI, X Ray, etc...) or be used as a doctor's lounge, an emergency department with two trauma bays, a nurse's desk and an ambulance bay. Enough to get characters in or out of trouble.

Here are pictures of the dry fitting of parts to work out any kinks before texturing and assembly. Already a few fixes needed but not many.

The parts:
" width="800" height="404" border="0[/url]

Here is a picture with the Phase 2 board (with rough the floor plan drawn in) that will transform the centre into a full hospital by adding a three plus level tower with a surgical room, cafeteria, pharmacy, morgue, a specialties floor, ICU, pathology lab, patient rooms floor, rooftop helipad, etc. At least that's the plan for the future.

And some of the details: 2 inch high walls of foamcore or illustration board on a 9.5 x 19 inch 1/8inch thick mdf base.

C&C welcome.
Cheers
« Last Edit: October 25, 2019, 01:06:15 AM by Braz »

Offline Johnno

• Mastermind
Re: The Medical Centre - WIP
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2010, 05:09:21 AM »
Looks great so far!
I cant wait to see more!
Yearly painting challenges only show me how useless I am at painting...

Offline Muskie

• Scientist
  • Purple and Green are the only colours you need.
    • My Homepage
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2010, 07:12:38 AM »
Of course the Spacemarines are already there... Jervis has a quote about never in a million years expecting to sell as many plastic spacemarines as they have...

I don't have a Spacemarine army but I've converted a large number of loyalists to Chaos Space Marines so in my own little way I've supported the growth of the empire.  ;-)

Offline SBRPearce

• Mad Scientist
    • "The Cellar-Dweller" blog
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2010, 01:33:22 PM »
Muskie:  ??? 
from Mr.Vampire: "It's the paintjob that makes the miniature fight harder not the size."

Offline DFlynSqrl

• Mastermind
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2010, 02:04:31 PM »
Very nice.  Looks like a good start to me.

Offline Braz

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2010, 04:35:08 PM »
Work progresses in the reception/admissions area. Floor and exterior wall textures, windows, and main doors added. Reception desk built but not detailed yet.

Bezzo, sorry to have brought up any unpleasant memories but no it is not intended for any specific conflict. Just like the library, the convenience store, the sheriff's office or the local biker bar, it's just another location in a small community, although I wouldn't want to visit the last two either.

Cheers all.

« Last Edit: October 26, 2019, 11:31:28 AM by Braz »

Offline anevilgiraffe

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • http://anevilgiraffe.blogspot.com/
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2010, 07:56:44 PM »
Both my wife (who is anurrse) and I work in the NHS and the thought of playing out violence in an A & E for fun leaves me cold. I'd also not game football gangs running riot  in a shopping mall.

Sorry while I admire the work  this is my last visit.

right, so you walked out of the Crazies, Dawn of the Dead, Planet Terror, AVP2 and god knows how many other films did you? if you can't seperate that a hospital is a logical place for bad things involving infections to happen from pissed idiots on a Saturday night, how can you justify gaming anything with any levels of violence at all...

Offline joroas

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2010, 08:07:26 PM »
To be fair, I think we all have areas that are taboo for one reason or another.  Musketeers Irish figures are nice, but I'm not sure that I could use them for purpose, VBCW is fine.  Some things are too close to home. 

I always remember a bemedalled Commissionaire I met at a 1970s wargames show, completely stunned that people would dress up as soldiers in re-enactments.
'So do all who see such times. But that is not for us to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that we are given.'

Offline anevilgiraffe

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2010, 08:43:58 PM »
To be fair, I think we all have areas that are taboo for one reason or another.  Musketeers Irish figures are nice, but I'm not sure that I could use them for purpose, VBCW is fine.  Some things are too close to home. 

I always remember a bemedalled Commissionaire I met at a 1970s wargames show, completely stunned that people would dress up as soldiers in re-enactments.

that's different (sorry, thread tangent), as that is making games of real incidents - I get that...

I don't think anyone is planning on gaming Friday night at A&E... activation based on waiting times? roll a 1 and puke? I'm guessing this is destined for zombies, Red Dawn style invasions and alien attacks... not punching out a staff nurse who's been on duty for 10 hours...

Offline Gluteus Maximus

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2010, 09:36:24 PM »
I can see Bezzo's point about not gaming real violence in this sort of location (my sister is a nurse).

However, I agree that zombies, alien life forms bursting out of patients' chests and other such blatantly silly ideas are far removed from Saturday night drunken yob violence in the casualty department.

It's a great idea for a setting and would also make for a decent hostage rescue scenario too, as well as the other SF/horror options.

By the way, biker bars aren't that bad - so long as you have a bike, love heavy metal and don't wear replica race leathers, of course  lol

Offline anevilgiraffe

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2010, 09:57:05 PM »
Anevilgirraffe
yeah, pretty much every single Friday, So....?

Want to swap shifts with her?

you bolded the bit that said no one was going to be making light of it and you still think I'm making light of it?  ::)

Offline Centaur_Seducer

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Gubbspel
« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2010, 12:23:53 AM »
Great start!  :o
Any pics of earlier builds? I see some sporting goods in the background :)

Offline anevilgiraffe

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #12 on: July 25, 2010, 01:04:46 AM »
Sorry-but this is a personal thing. We are on the "front line" and to see it being a source of entertainment just does not sit happily...I can see for outsiders it looks a legitimate scenario. A new arena.

At 2.30 am when you are trying to placate a stabbed yet still totally drunken yob (whom thinks it was you that attacked him). Want to deal with him? Have you got a choice? We don't.

Puts a slightly different spin on things, Yeah?

no, because no one is gaming that... Casualty and Holby City have more to do with your job than this model and any game that will be played in it...

Offline commissarmoody

• Galactic Brain
    • Moodys Adventures
« Reply #13 on: July 25, 2010, 07:00:56 AM »
Looks like your off to a great start, pay no attention to the cranky old man in the corner.  :D
"Peace" is that brief, glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading.

- Anonymous

Offline Gluteus Maximus

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #14 on: July 25, 2010, 09:35:54 AM »
Sorry-but this is a personal thing. We are on the "front line" and to see it being a source of entertainment just does not sit happily...I can see for outsiders it looks a legitimate scenario. A new arena.

At 2.30 am when you are trying to placate a stabbed yet still totally drunken yob (whom thinks it was you that attacked him). Want to deal with him? Have you got a choice? We don't.

Puts a slightly different spin on things, Yeah?

So I am sorry if I have bolded things I should not have done.  I apologise for any offence.

Bezzo, we're all on your side here! It's a completely understandable point of view. No-one with more than 10 functioning brain cells would have anything but the greatest sympathy and admiration for the work the casualty staff do or utter contempt for the scum that cause the trouble.

Stop and think avout the troops in Helmand, for example. What do they feel about us buying 28mm versions of themselves and playing toy soldiers with them? How does a bloke in a wheelchair with no legs feel when he sees us making his suffering into a miniature game? What about the D Day veteran who still has nightmares? Doesn't sound good, does it?

Somebody was recently on about gaming in Ulster, which I found pretty upsetting after serving for 4 years there in the 80s. Sadly wargaming can sometimes be a moral minefield :( 

It's all about what the planned uses are, not the model itself, which is a perfectly legitimate and fascinating project. Great work so far, Braz  :)