Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 03:58:48 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689614
  • Total Topics: 118287
  • Online Today: 681
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: How I paint rust - Tutorial-ish  (Read 5397 times)

Offline Gunbird

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • With miniatures, anything is possible!
    • 20mm and then some
How I paint rust - Tutorial-ish
« on: July 23, 2007, 06:55:18 PM »
For completions sake, this is a repetition of a step by step I did fro another forum. And it gives me something to point at when people ask how I do it :)

What I use paint and equipment wise:
- Vallejo MC 984 Flat Brown
- GW Blood Angels Red (it's a bloody orange!) ot Vallejo GC8 Orange Fire
- GW Chesnut Ink
- a cut down brush, so I can stipple with it
- a fine tipped brush
- a big fat finger (optional)

!!!>>> Word of caution about how I use tha paint while painting rust. When giving the locals painting advice I tell them to always thin down the paint to a runny milk consistency.
In this case I don't do that. and use it straight from the bottle/pot! This will become obvious as I explain the steps.

Step 1: Give the thing a decent basecoat and the first coat of colour.

Optional Step 1a: If you want you can paint the area you want to rust black first.

Step 2: Use the fine tipped brush to drop a few blobs of paint on the model. take your time. Then  take the stipple brush beat the blob into a yucky blob. Repeat. look at the pic, that should explain it better then my verbal abuse. We want texture here, and we are going to simulate that with the varied thickness of the paint. (which, sadly, is spoiled a bit by the varnish on the end, but alas, we want our models to keep their paint, not loose it during gaming)

Step 3: use the fine tipped brush to dab a bit of Chesnut wash here and there. Let it dry a bit. Repeat.

Step 4: Repeat step 2, but now more widely spaced. You should see some texture building up slowly.

Sadly, at this point, my Godlike photo skills had a Karma drop or something as they all came out blurred. Oh well, I'll remedy as soon as I have the time. Or feel like it. So for now steps without pics.

Step 5: use the fine tipped brush to do small spots of Blood Angels Red. Wait a bit. Use the stipple brush to flatten and spread it out. Use finger (or cloth) to remove excess. Move to the next bit and repeat.

And honest to God, that's it.

I alsways add a thick glosscoat covered by a matte coat over my models so that fills in the texture a bit, but you can still see the light play across the texture. (Come to think of it, this should be an easy way to add casting roughness to a Russian tank turret.... :) )

Well, I hope my ramblings are of use to someone. Give it a try. It won't kill you. looking at rust in the field is optional and can be frowned upon by your fellow man though :wink:

Johan
Who is Gunbird? Johan van Ooij, Dutch, Mercenary Gamer, no longer mobile and happy to live life while it lasts >> http://20mmandthensome.blogspot.com/