Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 03:15:10 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690587
  • Total Topics: 118338
  • Online Today: 822
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Help requested: What's next for Hinterland?  (Read 19232 times)

Offline Mancha

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Hinterland Miniatures
Help requested: What's next for Hinterland?
« on: August 10, 2010, 05:43:47 AM »
Hi All,

I want to ask for your help to plan upcoming Hinterland Miniatures releases.  Let me begin by describing what I have, and the immediate two upcoming releases.

What I have available to purchase:

1)   The Princess: Single-figure miniature
2)   Command Pack: Five-figure group
3)   Firing Line: Five-figure group, getting ready to fire
4)   Unit Builder: Six-figure group (in two poses), firing

Upcoming releases (in a month or so, I hope):

1)   Skirmishers: Five-figure group, rushing forward
2)   Maxim Crew: Three-figure group, firing Maxim

So the question is what’s next?  I would love your input.

Let me begin by saying that at the moment, cavalry, while obviously necessary, are just too expensive for me.  I will do them eventually, but I cannot just yet.  That said, I have instructed Paul (assuming he’s willing) to get to work on a mounted version of the Princess herself.  You can assume that that will be in the next wave, following the skirmishers and the Maxim crew.

I have a number of ideas for “fun” miniatures.  These are things that fit into the army, but aren’t particularly necessary.  Examples include casualty figures, guards, bathers, medics, etc.  While I hope to eventually get to these, I also need packs that are indispensible to the gamer.  In short, I need things that people will need to buy.  This is where I hope you can help me.  When looking to buy an army of the VSF/WWI variety, what do you need next?

I look forward to your ideas.

Jason/Mancha

Offline Plynkes

• The Royal Bastard
  • Elder God
  • I killed Mufasa!
    • http://misterplynkes.blogspot.com/
Re: Help requested: What's next for Hinterland?
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2010, 09:03:41 AM »
Being an historical type I'm not interested so much in the VSF idea of an army of female hussars, but more the original germ of Prussian princesses that started it all off. In that vein I'd love a figure of Kronprinzessin Cecilie so Viktoria Luise has a friend to discuss girly stuff with:

Her husband the Kronprinz "Little Willy" in his army uniform (both fancy parade and the one he wore in the war) would be cool too, but is probably straying too far from what you had in mind for your range.
With Cat-Like Tread
Upon our prey we steal...

Offline Rabbitz

• Mad Scientist
    • Unit57
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2010, 09:58:38 AM »
Cavalry, riding side saddle

ooops  just noticed you wont be doing them yet.

How about Heavy Artillery?  campaign uniforms with backpacks and pouches?
« Last Edit: August 10, 2010, 10:00:56 AM by Rabbitz »
Integrity is non negotiable

My little blog

www.unit57inminiature.blogspot.com.au

Offline Blackwolf

• Potato Cup 3 winner
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2010, 10:47:28 AM »
Bathing lady hussars for me ;D
May the Wolf  Walk With You
http://greywolf1066.blogspot.com.au/

Painting Clubs Joined: APC,MPC, PPC,PAPC,LPC.

Offline Ray Rivers

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2010, 01:01:16 PM »
I agree with Plynkes that the Kronprinzessin Cecilie (as pictured) would be a wonderful mini.

Overall, from my VSF perspective, I have loads of choice for normal infantry units.  What I seek is "abnormal units."  Stuff that isn't out there or been made.

The sharpshooters recently posted by Froggy caught my eye, but there are only three different figures and would need head swaps.  I would buy something like that, either Prussian or American British.  ;)

Sharpshooters thread:
http://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=21446.msg261383#msg261383

Really good klanks also seem to be hard to come by.  I don't like the ones from Eureka and the ones from Ironclad are kewl, but are a bit small by my tastes.  Something in between the two.  Big and awkward looking but with neat weapons.

A really heavy rocket unit could be very useful...

Something like this from Yankeepedlar01 (but perhaps a bit more bulky and VSF'ish):
http://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=18725.msg226110#msg226110

A unit with "special weapons."  Thorbjørn Nielsen's Prussian Unfindbarium Jagers come to mind:
http://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=14864.0

Just some ideas...
« Last Edit: August 10, 2010, 01:03:08 PM by Ray Rivers »

Offline Chairface

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2010, 01:35:41 PM »
A unit with "special weapons."  Thorbjørn Nielsen's Prussian Unfindbarium Jagers come to mind:
http://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=14864.0
That is an idea that I can get behind!

As for cavalry, is it the cost of sculpting horses that is a concern? The commercially available horses from ebob could be an option: http://www.ebobminiatures.com/products/horses.htm

Offline Froggy the Great

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • ...let slip the frogs of war.
    • My deviantArt gallery of painted figures
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2010, 01:39:46 PM »
I plan on (when I order) going all Girl Genius and Narbonic with them, so less strictly V and more SF.  I can make clanks and over-the-top weapons so I'm afraid my suggestions are less helpful, but that's what I'll be doing.
You, sir, are not allowed to attempt a takeover of the solar system until your octopus sobers up.

Offline Malamute

• Prince of Darkness
  • Elder God
    • Boot Hill Miniatures
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2010, 01:48:01 PM »

I agree with pretty much all of what Ray has suggested :)
"These creatures do not die like the bee after the first sting, but go on age after age, feeding on the blood of the living"  - Abraham Van Helsing

Offline Ray Rivers

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2010, 02:33:51 PM »
Oh, come on Nick!

You're one of the Kings of VSF in these parts... certainly you have an idea or two. 

Put on your electro-magnetic mind machine and let the sparks fly...  :D

Offline Jonas

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • OUT OF PRINT!
    • Deathworld Adventures
« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2010, 02:40:43 PM »
I would like to see some Russian themed automatons and maybe a steam babushka

I would also like some male cossacks dancing to entertain the princess.

Offline Sinewgrab

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • All to all, by my mustard!
« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2010, 03:04:07 PM »
An artillery crew is my first desired add-on. Cannon are common, but good-looking crew is not necessarily so.

And Ray is spot on with the desire for 'special weapons' - something adequately techno-illogical.

And, for those of us who make 'nefs, some with goggles and flight gear.
"There is no known cure for the wargaming virus, only treatments with ever increasing doses of metal."

Offline Tommy20

• Scientist
« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2010, 03:41:34 PM »
I would suggest that since you've started a business based on marketing a unit of dismounted hussars, that mounted figures are a necessity!  I may be in the minority, but the lack of mounted figures is what has kept me from ordering.

Let me begin by saying that at the moment, cavalry, while obviously necessary, are just too expensive for me.  I will do them eventually, but I cannot just yet.  That said, I have instructed Paul (assuming he's willing) to get to work on a mounted version of the Princess herself.

I assume by "too expensive" that you're referring to the horses.  Have you considered selling the riders only, and making them compatible with another manufacturer's horses?  The Ebob ones mentioned earlier come to mind.  Also, Castaway Arts has very nice horses (and sells them individually to boot).  Given the uniform, make sure they're riding side-saddle!

That said, if you'd like to stick with the women warrior theme, how about some Amazonians?

-Tommy

Offline Laflin and Rand

• Scientist
    • Curses from the Workbench
« Reply #12 on: August 10, 2010, 03:50:44 PM »
Like Tommy said, I wouldn't mind if you were to branch out to other female troops. Like something from La Guerre au Vingtième Siècle or something. Or even units dressed in retro-futuristic uniforms (from a Victorian lense). Kronprinzessin Cecilie would also be good. There is need for a lady in a pickelhaube.

Also, Chairface makes an excellent suggestion.

Offline Mancha

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Hinterland Miniatures
« Reply #13 on: August 10, 2010, 04:03:24 PM »
I appreciate all of your input so far, and I hope you'll keep it coming. 

Unfortunately, when creating something one wishes to sell, it's necessary to make sure the product has some universal appeal.  Female hussars are obviously at something of a disadvantage from the start.  This is what's kept me away from VSF-like weaponry.  As they are, the Hinterland minis could be wedged into a variety of genres, including WWI (albeit, a weird variety), Pulp, Colonial, Victorian, and VSF.  My fear is that I have to maintain this cross-genre adaptability.  For this reason, I am reluctant to make specifically VSF weaponry.  If there were a way to make a conversion pack, I would certainly consider that. 

While Princess Cecilie's look just never appealed to me much, I have to agree that it might be impossible to avoid her.  Perhaps she will be the personality in the wave following the mounted Princess.

Cavalry is a must, I know.  My plans, as a couple have suggested, are to use eBob horses.  These still ain't cheap, especially as I'll still have to pay to have horse equipment and (side-) sadlery added.  We'll see how the mounted Princess does, and maybe after that...

I was just looking at Brigade's WWI offerings the other day and it ocurred to me it would be fun to construct an artillery crew for a Krupp gun.  That's definately something to consider.   I also find the idea of snipers kind of appealing.

Of the new suggestions, the one that appeals to me most is some sort of cold-weather pack, for use as tank crew or in balloons.  These would probably have a WWI pilot look to them, with plenty of goggles and mittens.  I'll have to get out the sketchpad and start drawing fashionable ladies' attire again.  :)

Please keep the ideas coming. 

Offline the commissar

• Scientist
« Reply #14 on: August 10, 2010, 05:09:24 PM »
I think I may be getting the wrong end of the stick (not for the first time :)) - so could I check that it is your intention to produce female figures to expand the range or are you open to suggestions of any sort?

I received the command pack today and am looking fprward tp the release of the skirmishers and Maxim