Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 23, 2024, 09:18:23 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Help requested: What's next for Hinterland?  (Read 19223 times)

Offline Ricco

• Bookworm
Re: Help requested: What's next for Hinterland?
« Reply #30 on: August 11, 2010, 09:16:46 PM »
I MUST!!!! agree with Tommy 20. Those Canadian Amazonians were a real unit and we gamers in the Great White North would love to have some. The Space 1889's would likely want them as well.

Please Please PLEASE!!!!!
Shit Keith ... Not another stinkin air war game!!!!!

Offline argsilverson

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #31 on: August 11, 2010, 09:36:02 PM »
Here's what I have in mind:
.- princess Luise sitting (in the manner of the original photo) I would say smoking (I do not know if she actually did but I like the idea). Plus a courrier delivering message, plus a female hussar typing on some typing machine and maybe a guard.
.- during the end of 19th c. early 20th german students used to duel a lot. So, here it is: A couple of female hussars duelling (with swords), plus a couple of aides or so. Nice excuse to show some cleavage, too. They could be in light dress/shirts etc.
.- a set of female hussars: bathing, cleaning etc they also could enjoying themselves (wenching / feasting)  , another excuse for cleavage etc. A nice addition could also be a set with a couple of males and females in bathing suits of the era, plus some gents and ladies in summer dresses and hats
.- a set of women in light dress/undress status, as being hastily gathered to defend and could be used in a sort of partizan / civilian /just awaken hussars role.
.- cyclists and motorcyclists, vehicle drivers, pilots, zeppelin crew. mountaineers, explorers. skiers etc etc : good idea.

Leaving aside  the hussar themed women I could also suggest:
.- medics, nurses, doctors etc (there is somewhere a photo of two women wearing a slouch hat with the description of "doctors in colonial service") These could be for home and colonial fronts.
.- police constables
.- cantinieres
and lots of other suggestions!

argsilverson

Offline the commissar

• Scientist
« Reply #32 on: August 11, 2010, 11:06:16 PM »
If you are allowing variation of uniforms (shirtsleeved artillery crew for example) then how about a detachment for colonial service?

Same jacket but in trousers either jodphur type with long laced up boots with socks at the top or ordinary trousers tucked into "jackboots".

A different type of hat (sort of bush hat also like worn by the German East Asia Brigade).

Perhaps also carrying a bit more equipment (back pack with blanket roll).

Of course eventually we are going to want some suitable opposition - how about some female British infantry in early war dress (you could call them Thomasinas!).

Offline Sterling Moose

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #33 on: August 11, 2010, 11:49:02 PM »
I MUST!!!! agree with Tommy 20

Me too - another vote for the Canadian Amazonians.  They feature inthe Space 1889 rulebook.

Not so sure that some of the 'wants' suggested would make financial sense.  Semi naked hussars bathing can only have a very limited market - even if they are showing their cleavage.  ;)
'I saw the angel in the marble and carved until I set him free.'

Offline Mancha

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Hinterland Miniatures
« Reply #34 on: August 12, 2010, 12:14:54 AM »

I've got a few of these photos tucked away as well.  Would be a cool, fun idea.  Attaching the side wheels might be something of a challenge though.

Offline Mancha

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Hinterland Miniatures
« Reply #35 on: August 12, 2010, 12:32:24 AM »
.- princess Luise sitting (in the manner of the original photo) I would say smoking (I do not know if she actually did but I like the idea). Plus a courrier delivering message, plus a female hussar typing on some typing machine and maybe a guard.

I like this idea, as I've had something of a similar one. The typing machine would certainly be unique.

I appreciate all the ideas.  Some of them have certainly struck a chord.  Please keep them coming.

For the time being, I want to build on the current army, although perhaps with some variations of dress.  However, I'm sure that sometime in the future the Hinterland ladies will need an opponent. 

I wonder if anyone else has ever considered starting a miniatures company?  You Canadians, as a form of national pride, should pool funds and commission those Amazonians.  I'd be happy to discuss the ins and outs of getting such a venture started.  I think I got Hinterland started for about $2,000, spread out over a number of months, and going mostly toward sculpting commissions and casting. 

Please don't regard this as being a dismissal of the Amazonians idea.  It's just that if I ever got around to it, it would be pretty far in the future.

Back to Hinterland, would casualty markers of some sort be important?  Do people buy dead and wounded minis?

Offline Tommy20

• Scientist
« Reply #36 on: August 12, 2010, 12:41:52 AM »
Same jacket but in trousers

Bite yer tongue!  No self-respecting lady would go out in public in trousers!
« Last Edit: August 12, 2010, 12:44:24 AM by Tommy20 »
-Tommy

Offline Tommy20

• Scientist
« Reply #37 on: August 12, 2010, 12:44:07 AM »
Not so sure that some of the 'wants' suggested would make financial sense.  Semi naked hussars bathing can only have a very limited market - even if they are showing their cleavage.  ;)

What if they didn't show any cleavage?

Offline Calimero

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #38 on: August 12, 2010, 12:44:27 AM »
Back to Hinterland, would casualty markers of some sort be important?  Do people buy dead and wounded minis?

That’s odd. I don’t have any problem with almost any kind of figures but somehow I find the idea of female casualty figures to be a little over the top… but maybe that’s just me?
« Last Edit: August 12, 2010, 12:46:58 AM by Calimero »
A CANADIAN local hobby store with a small selection of historical wargames miniatures (mainly from Warlords). They also have a great selection of paint and hobby accessories from Vallejo, Army painter, AK Interactive, Green Stuff World and more.; https://www.kingdomtitans.ca/us/

Offline Froggy the Great

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • ...let slip the frogs of war.
    • My deviantArt gallery of painted figures
« Reply #39 on: August 12, 2010, 12:58:35 AM »
See, what I liked about this line was that it respected its subject matter under period circumstances...
« Last Edit: August 13, 2010, 02:03:12 PM by Froggy the Great »
You, sir, are not allowed to attempt a takeover of the solar system until your octopus sobers up.

Offline gatetraveller

• Assistant
« Reply #40 on: August 12, 2010, 07:44:41 PM »
Here are a couple of poses that are more subtle that outrightly wounded figures.

Offline the commissar

• Scientist
« Reply #41 on: August 12, 2010, 08:37:14 PM »
Bite yer tongue!  No self-respecting lady would go out in public in trousers!

Ah but these are extraordinary ladies - prepared to make that extra sacrifice for the greater good of bringing the true Teutonic way to the heathen (and co-incidedentally expand the German empire)

Offline Mancha

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Hinterland Miniatures
« Reply #42 on: August 12, 2010, 11:04:10 PM »
Here are a couple of poses that are more subtle that outrightly wounded figures.

Swooning instead of wounded?  I like it.   :)

Offline Sterling Moose

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #43 on: August 12, 2010, 11:08:30 PM »
Swounded?  ???

Offline Laflin and Rand

• Scientist
    • Curses from the Workbench
« Reply #44 on: August 13, 2010, 03:20:12 AM »
Swounded?  ???

I was considering introducing special rules for such a unit. Enemies may not fire upon the ladies unless they are either automatons, aliens or heathen swine. Civilized troops must engage them in hand to hand combat at penalty in order to disarm and subdue them in a non-disgraceful manner.