Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 02:13:40 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690649
  • Total Topics: 118342
  • Online Today: 866
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Return of the Martians  (Read 6431 times)

Offline Westfalia Chris

• Cardboard Warlord
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Brain
  • Elaborate! Elucidate! Evaluate!
Return of the Martians
« on: August 18, 2010, 12:56:01 AM »
Hi folks,

some of you may remember me showing some Martians I did back in 2005-6. Then, the "project" included a Tripod (actually the start, done on a whim), a Flying Machine (which was basically a "VSF-ified" variant of those in the 1953 WotW movie), and some sculpted and cast Martians. You can see pictures of those here: Chris' Victoriana Gallery at DisplacedMiniatures.com

Anyway, after that, I didn't really follow up (although I'm usually very interested in anything VSF/ESF, and H.G. Wells in particular). I got the book as a paperback, but that was it. Ultimately, the Tripod went to subdue an excellent defensive position in Shropshire, held in an amusingly clumsy fashion. ;) The rest went into hibernation (read storage).

Then, following last years very nice-looking VSF game at the BLAM (in which I sadly did not participate) and the Atlantis campaign, I got the Martians out when I was in Germany this July and took them over to the UK. I didn't really plan on doing much more on it, but elysium64's pointer concerning EMA Model Supplies and a PM by the Shropshirean inspired me to build another tripod.

The model consists of several acrylic shapes, wood pieces, metal washers and rings, and a secret ingredient to be revealed further down. And some plasticard to spruce up the surfaces.

The basic design is loosely based on my original Tripod, but features different proportions, more detailed legs arranged in a different fashion (although I may reposition those for more stability, or add a base).

The torso can be rotated and removed by a pin mount. I'll maybe add some weathering or extra shading for some definition.

Now, while I'm happy with how the model worked out and how the green acrylic parts worked with the brassy colour (I wasn't 100% convinced when I opened EMA's package this morning, as it looked very "neon-ish", and even though I only was a wee lad back in the 80s and early 90s, I do remember neon as a fashion better to be forgotten, or rather beaten up with a baseball bat). Nonetheless, I had planned to do something special with the model, and am pleased to announce that it worked out.

So, for the pièce de résistance:

Yup, it's illuminated.

Please take note, though, that it is done in a fashion which would shame my father (professor of electrical engineering), but I cannot do proper model lighting - never got the hang of wiring, resistors and LEDs, so I used this (and some LEDs for the engine decking, illuminated from the inside):

A 50p "pushlight" bought at Poundland. The overall effect is rather pleasing, if I may say so myself, and even visible under daylight, but I shamelessly chose darkness for a higher "woof!" rating.

Now, off to shoot down some Aeronefs and to study the effects of Heat Rays on liftwood.

Offline Supercollider

• Mad Scientist
Re: Return of the Martians
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2010, 01:06:21 AM »
Awesome!  That looks very effective. I think the green elements go very well with the metal, and look suitably martian. :-*

Offline TwoGunBob

• Scientist
    • It's a band thingy I play in
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2010, 01:12:22 AM »
I don't think awesome quite conveys how impressed I am with this.

Offline Calimero

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2010, 01:25:38 AM »

Really cool work Chris 8)
A CANADIAN local hobby store with a small selection of historical wargames miniatures (mainly from Warlords). They also have a great selection of paint and hobby accessories from Vallejo, Army painter, AK Interactive, Green Stuff World and more.; https://www.kingdomtitans.ca/us/

Offline manfred

• Assistant
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2010, 01:46:16 AM »
Wow!  Just Wow!  Really nice design and a fantastic use of the push light.

Great job!
My Terrain Blog
http://universalterrain.blogspot.com

My Figure Blog
http://heroesonthetable.adventuresandhobbies.com

Offline redzed

• Mastermind
    • redzed
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2010, 02:30:59 AM »
it just gets better and better :)
Commission Painting undertaken, PM or email me.

Offline Blackwolf

• Potato Cup 3 winner
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2010, 07:28:27 AM »
Bloodly lovely! That's how a tripod should look. :-*
May the Wolf  Walk With You
http://greywolf1066.blogspot.com.au/

Painting Clubs Joined: APC,MPC, PPC,PAPC,LPC.

Offline OSHIROmodels

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Custom terrain a speciality.
    • Oshiro modelterrain
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2010, 07:45:59 AM »
That's fantastic Chris  :-*  :-*  :-* And a very enjoyable write up, I swear, your English is better than most of the locals (especially mine  ;D )

One thing I would comment on and it's not to detract from the build at all, is the legs. I feel they should be more fluid, but you get this with almost every tripod build. Reading the book it gives the impression of 'snake' legs with no visable joints. But to be fair, this is just me being a bit picky. As I said, wonderful build  :D

cheers

James
cheers

James

https://www.oshiromodels.co.uk/

Twitter account -     @OSHIROmodels
Instagram account - oshiromodels

http://redplanetminiatures.blogspot.co.uk/
http://jimbibblyblog.blogspot.com/

Offline Gluteus Maximus

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2010, 08:13:47 AM »
Woof woof!

Excellent work Chris. Good old Poundland  ;)

I like the green tinge to the domes etc - reminiscent of the 50s film, yet still looks like proper Wellsian VSF. I think the heat ray is my favourite bit.

Superb  :-*

Offline moif

• Scientist
    • JRC-1138
« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2010, 08:16:18 AM »
Simply brilliant!! Well done. I love it!
Expert in ancient artefacts, occult civilisations and phoney baloney technobabble!

Offline Malamute

• Prince of Darkness
  • Elder God
    • Boot Hill Miniatures
« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2010, 08:17:07 AM »
Absolutely brilliant, I love everything about it, the lights are the icing on a rather splendid piece of Victoria sponge cake. ;D
"These creatures do not die like the bee after the first sting, but go on age after age, feeding on the blood of the living"  - Abraham Van Helsing

Offline Westfalia Chris

• Cardboard Warlord
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Brain
  • Elaborate! Elucidate! Evaluate!
« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2010, 08:24:21 AM »
One thing I would comment on and it's not to detract from the build at all, is the legs. I feel they should be more fluid, but you get this with almost every tripod build. Reading the book it gives the impression of 'snake' legs with no visable joints. But to be fair, this is just me being a bit picky. As I said, wonderful build  :D

Yes, point taken. I was always at a loss at how to interpret Wells' description of the thing working without any axles (i.e. rotatory power transfer) or wheels, and "snake-like" is always a bit difficult to capture, especially if you want rigidity (and a look of rigidity). That said, I think you could do it with acrylic rods wrapped in thin paper strip, and I may very well try it sometime.

For this one, however, I took a bit of inspiration from the classic 1927 "Amazing Stories" cover:

Those legs are very spindly, though, but I like the general layout best of the various interpretation on the theme I've seen (except for the BBC tripods, those rock).

Offline Tsune

• Scientist
« Reply #12 on: August 18, 2010, 08:24:38 AM »
Brilliant idea that works excepcionally well!  :-* :-*

Offline Dewbakuk

• Administrator
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #13 on: August 18, 2010, 08:54:01 AM »
Excellent build and a great piece of lighting there :)

I will say I prefer the legs on the original, they might be less detailed but I prefer the way they are set away from the body.
So many projects..... so little time.......

Online JollyBob

• Galactic Brain
  • I've only had a few ales...
« Reply #14 on: August 18, 2010, 09:04:34 AM »
You are an evil genius.  :o