Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 03:26:01 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686664
  • Total Topics: 118120
  • Online Today: 817
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: New Foundry 18th century civilians  (Read 6789 times)

Offline Poliorketes

• King of the Congo
  • Scatterbrained Genius
  • Never look back
New Foundry 18th century civilians
« on: July 26, 2007, 07:12:35 PM »
Great Collection, I fear a must have for Gloire!
http://www.wargamesfoundry.com/collections/SYW/14/index.asp
If you come for the king, you better not miss (Omar)

Offline Grimm

• Two-time LPL Champion (Season 2 and 3) Supporting Adventurer
  • The Colonial Tales Winner
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • Grimms-Hangar on Facebook
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2007, 08:17:49 PM »
:o  :o  :o  :o Cool I can see my Woodland Indians raiding these  civilians :mrgreen:
ttps://www.facebook.com/pages/Grimms-Hangar/196455560521708

Offline Rhoderic

• Mastermind
  • I disapprove!
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2007, 09:23:28 PM »
They're not in period for my swashbuckling setting, but I'd love to have a few select packs of them anyway.

I won't get them, though. I'm not in an economic position to buy Foundry miniatures willy-nilly  :(
"When to keep awake against the camel's swaying or the junk's rocking, you start summoning up your memories one by one, your wolf will have become another wolf, your sister a different sister, your battle other battles, on your return from Euphemia, the city where memory is traded." - Italo Calvino

Offline Lowtardog

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2007, 09:29:06 PM »
They are lovely but pricey I think I will have to look else where

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2007, 11:40:07 PM »
Very nice. But yes, Foundry are dashed expensive. There again, you get what you pay for. I've often toyed with adding the Old Glory Fat Island Governers to my ever expanding pirates collection, but having seen these from Foundry, I think some of these gentry will do rather better.

Actually, I think (without false modesty) this little range may be my idea, because I certainly wrote to Bryan Ansell back in 2000 with a few detailed suggestions for new ranges - one of which was for a C17th 'crime and punishment' range - highwaymen, smugglers, harlots, militia, footpads, wreckers, excise men, press gangs, etc etc. And this certainly looks like part of it! (Wait to see if a second release of excise men, wreckers and a press gang follow, and you'll know I'm right!)

Interestingly, at the time, I got a phonecall from Bryan - which I missed and I never followed up on! Bum! Maybe he was offering me a job  :mrgreen:

Anyway - Bryan - if you're listening, and this lot was based on the idea I sent you, then drop me a few free packs in the post would you?  :wink:

Offline WitchfinderGeneral

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2007, 11:57:51 PM »
I was excited when I read the newsletter today, too.
Some of the packs are a "must-have".
Yes, they are expensive.
But on the other hand, if we all stop buying Foundry figs Bryan Ansell will starve to death.  :cry:
"I'd like to send this letter to the Prussian consulate in Siam by aeromail. Am I too late for the 4:30 autogyro?"
"Uh, I better look in the manual... This book must be out of date. I don't see "Prussia", "Siam" or "autogyro"...

Offline W.B.Kurgan

• Scientist
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2007, 10:48:22 AM »
I saw these on the Foundry site yesterday and I very nearly posted a link here, but as I haven't been round much lately I sort of assumed they weren't all that new and someone else had already posted about them.
 :roll:

Oh well, never mind that - I LOVE the smugglers! I really hope Captain Blood is right and they follow them with excise men, wreckers and a press gang!
 :love:  :love:  :love:
Mein Flugzeug ist kaputt!

Offline Rhoderic

• Mastermind
  • I disapprove!
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2007, 12:50:24 PM »
Quote from: "WitchfinderGeneral"
But on the other hand, if we all stop buying Foundry figs Bryan Ansell will starve to death.  :cry:

There are forums out there where many would consider that a good thing :roll:

For my part, I'm a student, so probably in a worse position to afford Foundry than most in this forum. I did get one of those 20% discount offers in my e-mail, though. I have 'til the end of the month to use it and I'm seriously considering doing just that. Mr Ansell's whole business strategy seems to be repeatedly whipping up this kind of "buy now and buy plenty" frenzies, which I sort of resent, but the quality of the miniatures speaks for itself. But then again, I might as well wait for next time I get one of these offers. The way Foundry does business, I'm sure I'll get another one sooner or later.

Offline Aaron

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2007, 01:03:42 PM »
Is it just me, or do many of them look like dark elves? I still may give in and grab some of the civvies to victimise. I have more than enough villains.

Offline Malamute

• Prince of Darkness
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
    • Boot Hill Miniatures
« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2007, 07:26:24 AM »
Some are very nice and some are a little odd looking, but overall a very nice batch of figures. I particularly like the two armed thugs in the smugglers pack:)
"These creatures do not die like the bee after the first sting, but go on age after age, feeding on the blood of the living"  - Abraham Van Helsing

Offline geboom

• Bookworm
    • http://www.shiftinglands.com
« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2007, 07:36:59 AM »
I will get me some because I simply need civilians unless someone hassome nice links to beter/cheaper civilians?
These do look fine to me though.

G.

Offline Malamute

• Prince of Darkness
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
    • Boot Hill Miniatures
« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2007, 07:40:01 AM »
Geboom, You could try Westwind in their Gothic Horror, Sleepy Hollow range they have a pack of villagers and some town elders, or Front Rank figures have some C18th civilains, about 15 - 20 figures. :)

Offline Rob_Jedi

• Librarian
    • Rob Jedi's Miniature Blog
« Reply #12 on: July 30, 2007, 05:28:40 AM »
Geboom, Eureka miniatures has some good civilians and thugs in it's civilian range. The criminals and comic thugs are quite good. I haven't seen the 18th century civilians in the lead yet though.

http://eurekamin.com.au/index.php?cPath=87_126_138

Offline Mr Mipps

• Bookworm
    • http://mywargamingcorner.blogspot.com/
« Reply #13 on: July 30, 2007, 10:16:41 AM »
Parkfield Miniatures has a Rogues and Vagabonds range of figures including a number of smugglers and revenue men.  The Napoleonic Peninsular range includes some naval landing party figures which can also be used with the revenue men.

http://www.parkfieldminiatures.freeservers.com/SMUGGLERS.htm

Simon
Always remember to pillage BEFORE you burn

Offline Rhoderic

• Mastermind
  • I disapprove!
« Reply #14 on: July 30, 2007, 11:12:17 AM »
If you get civilians from Eureka, don't forget they also sell some plantation peasants that don't appear in the webstore (you'll have to contact them directly about it). Pictures here: http://www.chronofus.net/wargames/eureka/100club/1700s/index.htm