Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 12:40:35 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690719
  • Total Topics: 118343
  • Online Today: 839
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Making a Viking Long House for $4 (USD)  (Read 41772 times)

Offline grubman

• Mad Scientist
Making a Viking Long House for $4 (USD)
« on: August 22, 2010, 03:03:44 PM »
This is a single excerpt from an ongoing thread about my role playing game campaign, so bits of the commentary might not make sense, but the core is about building the terrain piece, so I’m presenting it here for you guys.

Making a Viking Long House…for $4.00!

I know what you’re thinking:  Grubman hasn’t posted for a long time; he’s lost interest and moved on to something else. 

Nothing could be further from the truth!  Fact of the matter is that I haven’t been posting, or on the forums because I’ve been so super busy preparing for this Tuesdays (24th) game that I haven’t been able to do anything in my free time besides paint and build stuff and write.  I’ve painted no less than 29 new miniatures for the next game!  But most of my time has gone into building this surprisingly time-consuming long house.

I don’t want to show the miniatures, and thus ruin my player’s surprise, but here is the long house in step-by-step, with usual commentary.

My Evil Plan!

While historical accuracy isn’t something I’m anal about, I did want my long house to look at least close to authentic.  After researching both exterior and interior I found this picture of Trelleborg-hall, and decided to use it as my base for the model.  I drew up some sketches of how I planed to proceed with the project, and started thinking about what materials I would need.

Material

I did a lot of debating on how to proceed with this project.  Should I whip it up out of cardboard and have a less impressive looking model, or should I use scrap hardwood and carve each board, or would I spend a fortune on Balsa wood?  In the end I got a “brilliant” idea!

Remember all those things you used to build out of Popsicle sticks when you were a kid?  I thought that skill would never amount to anything…who would have known?  They carry these in the local $1 store (that’s right, everything is a dollar USA in that store).  I decided to use foam board as my core, also available in the dollar store. 

So I went and spent a whopping $3 and had almost everything I would need for the project (paint, glue, and patience not included in the price!).

Getting Started

The first thing to do was cut out my core foam board pieces.  I was going to need the basic structure, as well as the 2 tier long benches that line the interior of the house.

More Sticks Than I Can Shake a…er…Stick At!

This is where the patience comes in.  I had to line each piece with the individual craft sticks, wait for them to dry completely, cut off the excess (with a saw), flip and repeat.  The saw was unforgiving, tossing chips of sticks in all directions and refusing to cut straight.  Sometimes things that frustrate you turn out to be a boon, as this ended up giving the whole structure a rustic look.

I decided that rather than base this on a piece of hardboard, I’d put it majestically on a hill, so I cut a piece of Styrofoam for the base from scraps from my other terrain.  (This would come back to bite me in the ass later!)

Dude, Ventilation is Important!

While every project I do turns into a big experiment, I decided to try something new…staining the sticks instead of painting them.  I primed the outside of the structure (because I was going to paint that with a weathered look) but stained the inside.  I didn’t open my garage door while doing this and had a nice headache by the time I was done.  The stain took a full 24 hours to dry and be fumes-free enough to work on more.

When this was done, I could glue the whole thing together.

DOH!!

While this was drying I was going to start working on the porch that surrounds the long house using sticks from the woods for uprights.  It was at this point that I realized that my base wasn’t cut big enough to support the porch structure (slap hand to forehead!).

I realized this was going to reduce the coolness of the model, but, oh well.  I tried to rationalize it by telling myself it was only for one game session, and it has already taken way longer than I expected to build…but it still sucks!

Interior Design

I glued the benches in place, as well as a little “stage” for the Jarl to hang out on.  I also build a fire in the center.  This is actually pretty much how these houses were designed.  I did plan on putting support columns in (like were found in real long houses) but I figured they would just get in the way, so decided to skip them.  I wish I had a bit more time to fill the house with shields and weapons and bedding, ect.   But sometimes you have to make sacrifices.

The Roof (or how I spent my last dollar)

Well, can’t just have an open top!  I now turned my attention to the roof.  I was originally going to go with shingles, no small project considering the size of this building (I cut each shingle individually), but then I decided to try something I hadn’t done before…thatching!  I got this idea while I was in bed the night before, and eagerly ran to the dollar store to pick up a small broom.  I cut the bristles off and glued them to the foam board.

I cut some decorative edging out of hardboard scrap.

At this point I was getting worried, because, well, it looked like shit!

I ended up painting the thatching with some exterior paint (Ironic, huh?) that I had in the garage, and then stained it.  The whole thing took 48 hours to dry (frustrating for a guy like me who likes to finish projects in a day!).  Oh the emotional pain!

[/b]And There It Is![/b]

Finished up the base, assembled the roof and tadah!  In the end I’m happy with the model.  Yes, it could have been better.  The porch awning (or whatever it’s called) would have looked really cool, and I can’t help but think I could have shaved some time and effort somewhere.  But hey, experimenting and learning for next time is half the fun of this hobby.

So I’m almost ready for Tuesday’s session…then I can turn around and start working on the NEXT sessions stuff!  $4 well spent!

Mice-Aat-Arms Miniatures and Rules: https://rrbminis.com/mice-at-arms/

Offline Operator5

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • The Silent Sentinel
    • Rattrap Productions LLC
Re: Making a Viking Long House for $4 (USD)
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2010, 03:34:31 PM »
Nice build! And I love the step by step instructions for it. It's always great when someone shows each step of the process.

How thick did you do the roofing? I mean, how many layers of psuedo-thatch did you do?
Richard A. Johnson
On Facebook: Rattrap on Facebook

Offline grubman

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2010, 03:39:47 PM »
How thick did you do the roofing? I mean, how many layers of psuedo-thatch did you do?

Just one (well, 1 and 1/2).  The length of the bristles wasn't long enough to cover the entier roof so I did one layer, then went back did another overlapping layer (you can see it in the pic).

It looked really thin untill I painted and stained it.  I was rather surprised at the results when finished.

Offline Belgian

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Wargame News and Terrain
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2010, 05:51:15 PM »
Awesome! Thanks for the photo tutorial and the brilliant idea (I also have 400 sticks somewhere around  lol)
Wargame News and Terrain Blog, daily updated with the latest wargame news

Interested click https://wargameterrain.blogspot.com/

Offline Hitman

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2010, 08:00:08 PM »
Well done!! The final result looks great. I enjoyed the step-by-step instructions as well as the "commentary"...which gave it a personal note!! lol

Thanks for sharing.
Regards,
Hitman
 8)
Victory is guaranteed to the last man standing, but always remember those whom you stepped on to get there!!

Offline kidterminal

• Mastermind
  • A rising star in the hierarchy of Hell.
    • Fends in Waistcoats
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2010, 09:41:56 PM »
Well done. This is a great step by step post. How did you do the benches?

Rob

Offline Donogh

• Librarian
    • Land War in Asia
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2010, 09:51:24 PM »
Fantastic post - thanks!
My Wargaming Blog:  Land War in Asia

Offline grubman

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2010, 11:20:30 PM »
How did you do the benches?

The benches were done the same as the walls, except I only put sticks on one side.  Then I simply glued the 1" one on top of the 2" one.

Offline TwoGunBob

• Scientist
    • It's a band thingy I play in
« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2010, 12:07:18 AM »
Awesome as always, sir. Love to see the scratch building with an eye for finance.

Offline grubman

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2010, 12:18:35 AM »
Awesome as always, sir. Love to see the scratch building with an eye for finance.

Yeah, when you're dropping hundreds on lead, you have to cut corners somewhere! ;)

Online carlos marighela

• Elder God
  • Flamenguista até morrer.
« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2010, 01:25:20 AM »
Very nice. I particularly like the wodd stain idea. Might have to try that myself. In a properly ventilated area of course.
Em dezembro de '81
Botou os ingleses na roda
3 a 0 no Liverpool
Ficou marcado na história
E no Rio não tem outro igual
Só o Flamengo é campeão mundial
E agora seu povo
Pede o mundo de novo

Offline grubman

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2010, 01:47:44 AM »
I particularly like the wodd stain idea.

Yeah, those sticks really stained in an intersting pattern.  At first I thought the inconsistancy would look bad, but in the end it looked pretty neat.

Offline ushistoryprof

• Mad Scientist
    • World Historyprof-History Real & Imagined through Miniatures
« Reply #12 on: August 24, 2010, 04:40:38 AM »
Brilliant use of four bucks.

Offline Argonor

• Elder God
  • Attic Attack: Mead and Dice!
    • Argonor's Wargames
« Reply #13 on: August 24, 2010, 06:32:39 AM »
Very well done.

Hmmm... from now on I'll take plenty of pictures of architechture for reference, when I visit places like this:

http://ribevc.net.dynamicweb.dk/Default.aspx?ID=269

And other sites with a historical scope.....
Ask at the LAF, and answer shall thy be given!

Cultist #84

Online carlos marighela

• Elder God
  • Flamenguista até morrer.
« Reply #14 on: August 24, 2010, 10:11:43 AM »
One question (and I'm no student of Nordic architecture) but where does the smoke go? Shouldn't there be a flu somewhere?