Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 02:22:08 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686489
  • Total Topics: 118102
  • Online Today: 857
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Copplestone Russian sailors... (Finished for now! Update page 4)  (Read 25023 times)

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
Re: Copplestone Russian sailors... (More Sailors!)
« Reply #30 on: October 03, 2010, 12:21:26 PM »
a black Vallejo bottle exploded on them and myself when the nozzle got blocked and I pressed a bit too hard.

The same thing has happened to me a couple of times  :(
Bastard blocked nipples!  >:(

That stripey shirt is blinking brilliant - what are you worrying about, man?!  ;)

Sounds like you'd really prefer to do some partizans next, so my advice is - do the partizans!  ;)

Offline Plynkes

• The Royal Bastard
  • Elder God
  • I killed Mufasa!
    • http://misterplynkes.blogspot.com/
Re: Copplestone Russian sailors... (Update page 2!Commander and Guards)
« Reply #31 on: October 03, 2010, 12:32:25 PM »
I painted one of those stripey sailor shirts recently (on a KuK U-Boat man), and I found the experience somewhat nightmarish, too. I think I'll stick to the Royal Navy and the Kaiserliche Marine in future.  :)

Fantastic work. Really stunning paint-jobs.
With Cat-Like Tread
Upon our prey we steal...

Offline Remington

• Mastermind
  • Who? Where? Say what now?
    • The Doc's Diary
« Reply #32 on: October 03, 2010, 12:37:11 PM »
Captain Blood is reading me like an open book. :) I am very keen to paint them. And as Chris said, you don't see them that often. Sailors and partisans together could be quite a unique looking team. Besides, as far as I can tell, there were quite a few people who were dragged away from their fields and fought in whatever they had on, or am I mistaken? Plop a Commissar or/and a uniformed leader next to them and Bob's your uncle.

Not that worried, Captain... :) It's just that I've had this guy in front of me for quite some time and I can see every detail. I regretted writing that comment immediately after I set the guy down on the table and looked at him from above. :)

Plynkes... it's nice that someone feels my pain! :)

Offline Svennn

• Galactic Brain
  • Balding bloke with a 'V'
    • Svenns Little Men
« Reply #33 on: October 03, 2010, 12:41:21 PM »
Well I wish I could do the stripes that well. They are lovely, lovely indeed.
"A jewelled sceptre plucked by order to serve their cause"

Offline Calimero

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #34 on: October 03, 2010, 12:51:45 PM »
Nobody’s listening to me anymore… :'(

lol whatever you choose to do I’m sure they will be great figures.

Not that worried, Captain... :) It's just that I've had this guy in front of me for quite some time and I can see every detail. I regretted writing that comment immediately after I set the guy down on the table and looked at him from above. :)

I find that a good way to avoid this feeling is to put the figures aside for some time and take a look at it later on. This way you won’t focus on all the small "mistake" it might have. An other option, is to hold the figures in front of the mirror and to look at the reflection rather than at the figure itself… sound crazy but it work ;)
A CANADIAN local hobby store with a small selection of historical wargames miniatures (mainly from Warlords). They also have a great selection of paint and hobby accessories from Vallejo, Army painter, AK Interactive, Green Stuff World and more.; https://www.kingdomtitans.ca/us/

Offline Remington

• Mastermind
    • The Doc's Diary
« Reply #35 on: October 03, 2010, 12:53:57 PM »
 lol Calimero, of course I am listening... The dilemma is real. :) I guess it's a heart against mind decision. My heart's with the partisans.

Thanks Svennn! You just have to accept that it is a pain and try it till it works... And it is a full and proper pain!
« Last Edit: October 03, 2010, 12:56:54 PM by Remington »

Offline Turbo-Ben

• Scientist
    • Partisan-Con Mannheim
Re: Copplestone Russian sailors... (More Sailors!)
« Reply #36 on: October 03, 2010, 06:22:38 PM »

They could be Reds or Whites or even Anarchists. All I would need, would be enough standard bearers and maybe different commanders to create the needed impression.

Remember you can get that extra set of sailor command from brigade I just bought.
It includes two standard bearers as well as two commanders.

Offline Remington

• Mastermind
    • The Doc's Diary
« Reply #37 on: October 03, 2010, 06:44:03 PM »
Oh, I haven't forgotten and you should bring them next time we meet! :D

Offline area23

• Mastermind
    • area23
« Reply #38 on: October 03, 2010, 09:00:39 PM »
Very nice!

I'd go for partisans. You'll have an instant Kronstadt uprising force.

That's what I'm palnning anyway. I already have the partisans and seeing all the sailors on LAF lately got me convinced I need to get the sailors too. Either as a early revolution Kronstadt vainguard force or revolutionary rebels against bolshevik power.
I would add an armoured car too, and possibly some generic soldiers that could double as bolsheviks, deserters or rebels, depending on which point of history.

DEATH TO THE BOLSHEVIKS, LONG LIVE THE SOVIETS!
If you don't believe in lead, you're already dead.
+++AREA23 BLOG+++

Offline Poliorketes

• King of the Congo
  • Scatterbrained Genius
  • Never look back
« Reply #39 on: October 03, 2010, 09:44:13 PM »
Brilliant stripes
If you come for the king, you better not miss (Omar)

Offline Mark Plant

• Mad Scientist
    • Pygmy Wars : Russian Civil War and Related Stuff
« Reply #40 on: October 03, 2010, 10:22:42 PM »
Sailors and partisans together could be quite a unique looking team. Besides, as far as I can tell, there were quite a few people who were dragged away from their fields and fought in whatever they had on, or am I mistaken? Plop a Commissar or/and a uniformed leader next to them and Bob's your uncle.

Historically the sailor/partisan combo is reflective of the early civil war. That's when units were cobbled together and just flung into the field. You can add in worker units (railroad men, miners) and urban Red Guard too, if you want. They can be anti-Bolshevik too (Grigoriev's revolt, for example).

The down side is that that Whites at the period were not the multi-coloured Kornilovs and flash cavalry that players tend to like. They were equally scruffy collections (Cossacks, officers and students mostly) slapped together.

The Reds also had close to no cavalry at this stage (what they did have tended to be "Internationals" like Hungarians and Germans or was utter dreck). Nor did they have much armour, aviation etc. Nor commissars (actually very little command structure at all).

Early war is a fun period, but the Reds are mostly rubbish quality infantry. If you want to actively avoid players always insisting on having all the toys (armoured cars, planes etc) then it has that going for it.

(This is the historical sequence. Your gaming event line may differ.)

Offline cuprum

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • The East is a delicate matter!
    • Studio "Siberia"
« Reply #41 on: October 04, 2010, 03:07:26 AM »
Fine work!
There are some remarks. On a peak-cap of the commander it is necessary to make white lines, as on it a photo:
http://s004.radikal.ru/i206/1004/7f/364f8c3f1528.jpg
The figure will look more interesting.
Strips on a striped sea shirt can be made as follows:
Take any unnecessary you decal and cover with its dark blue paint. Then knife on thin strips on a metal ruler. A thickness of a strip - 1 mm. Then paint a shirt in white colour. Also glue dark blue strips as usual decal.
Here article about fights for Barnaul (a city where I live) between white, Czechs and Red guards in 1918. Article in Russian. Try to read, having taken advantage of the translator "Google". There are many real photos and uniform reconstruction.
http://zhurnal.lib.ru/w/wdowin_a_n/oteh.shtml
Use red ancient bronze guns of the period of Napoleonic wars is interesting!

Offline HerbyF

• Mastermind
  • Why fear nightmares when you can be one
« Reply #42 on: October 04, 2010, 04:51:05 AM »
I have done a unit of Russian sailors for the Boxer rebellion. Mine are striped in red, only did about half in the stripes the rest in dark blue. Striping was a real pain.
LHV 2015 +200 2016 +770 2017 +636 2018 +888 2019 +1015 2020 +656 2021 +174 2022 +220 2023 +312 2024 +95

Offline Remington

• Mastermind
    • The Doc's Diary
« Reply #43 on: October 04, 2010, 06:03:11 AM »
Thank you for the info, Mark and Cuprum. Very interesting indeed. Well, I got till tomorrow to decide... then it's group ordering time! :) The armoured car will be a must, so I might go for the uniformed chaps first to be able to play the periods with all these toys. :D

Cuprum, thank you for pointing out the line of the cap. I'll paint it on tonight. Still unsure if I should paint the cockade for the commander.

Offline cuprum

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • The East is a delicate matter!
    • Studio "Siberia"
« Reply #44 on: October 04, 2010, 06:58:14 AM »
The commander of red seamen on a peak-cap could carry a red star, as in this drawing.

At white seamen imperial cockardes more often rushed.
Anarchists of a cockarde, most likely, had no.