Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 01:04:18 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690719
  • Total Topics: 118343
  • Online Today: 898
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Paint Brands. . . your favs to work with?  (Read 9213 times)

Offline WitchfinderGeneral

• Mad Scientist
Paint Brands. . . your favs to work with?
« Reply #15 on: July 31, 2007, 07:19:58 PM »
I use mostly Vallejo. But the the metallic colours from GW are just great, the only thing I keep buying from them. For terrain I use some cheap acrylics.
"I'd like to send this letter to the Prussian consulate in Siam by aeromail. Am I too late for the 4:30 autogyro?"
"Uh, I better look in the manual... This book must be out of date. I don't see "Prussia", "Siam" or "autogyro"...

Offline ChukTuttle

• Librarian
  • Physicist/Astronomer
« Reply #16 on: July 31, 2007, 07:53:36 PM »
Quote from: "Captain Blood"
Sorry about the GW rant - I just object to being sold to with such blind determination on every visit!

Well, at least they are consistent with their corporate policies.  I'm across the pond and had been an employee with GW for over six years.  We were asked to always "establish a rapport with the customer" - it is customer service commandment number 6 of 10.  Some people were offended and also thought we worked on commission, but it was really trying to "help" the customers.  In fact, if we didn't "badger" you, we could be fired.  The problem comes from the high turnover rate of employees.  The veteran employees knew the veteran hobbyists and there was never really a problem.  Just don't let there be someone form corporate in there or else it was like the Spanish Inquisition!

By the way, if we could get a kid so excited during an intro game that he wet himself, we would get a free boxed army!  and that is customer service!
Look Daddy, I painted one of your robots!!!

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
« Reply #17 on: August 01, 2007, 11:40:05 AM »
Wow. I'm genuinely sorry that I insulted all you ex-GW employees...  :lol:

Seriously, I can't blame them for selling hard - but it's depressing that they just don't understand the basics.

Good sales training teaches you to ask lots of questions - and GW have obviously got this bit.

Unfortunately, the part they haven't understood is that you then LISTEN to the answers - listen twice as much as you speak, in fact - and read the customers' buying signals both from what they say, and from body language and so on. This is the basis of good sales technique. The GW 'keep interrogating the customer even as you can see them shutting down under the assault' is just crass salesmanship.

I kid you not when I say that in all honesty, I would spend a lot of money in GW if the b*ggers just backed off! One size does not fit all. For such a successful business, I'm amazed they haven't figured that out yet. And you're right - the customer experience is very much the same from shop to shop. Equally un-empathetic. Okay - rant over  :mrgreen:

Offline Hammers

• Amateur papiermachiéer
  • Elder God
  • Workbench and Pulp Moderator
« Reply #18 on: August 01, 2007, 02:30:40 PM »

Sorry about the GW rant - I just object to being sold to with such blind determination on every visit!

'What are you looking for?'
'Nothing - just browsing'
'Nothing in particular then?'
'No, just browsing.'
'What are you into?'
'Oh, all sorts...'
'Is it for you?'
'Might be.'
'Do you have kids?'
'Might have'
'Do they play Warhammer?'
'Occasionally.'
'How old are they?'
'Mind your own ****ing business.'
'They might want to join our club.'
'No thanks.'
'It meets 6 nights a week - they can spend all their money here' (Okay, they never actually say that, but it's about that transparent!)
'No thanks. Now, do you mind if I just have a look at the things you are selling?''
'Is there anything in particular you're looking for?'
'FOR GOD'S SAKE JUST LEAVE ME ALONE, CAN'T YOU???? I'D BUY A LOT MORE STUFF IF YOU JUST BACKED OFF!!!!!'

I usually walk out at around this point because I just find the approach intolerable.

Spot on. They really don't make you feel welcome.

Offline Neldoreth

• Mastermind
    • An Hour of Wolves and Shattered Shields
« Reply #19 on: August 01, 2007, 02:32:57 PM »

Being an ex-GW employee myself, rest assured that I don't take insult at all. The management there sucked, and so did their CS policies...  not to mention their other policies... But I digress.

I used IWM paints, which are the Ral Partha paint line from back in the day... Since IWM reduced their range considerably not too long ago though I have been forced to look elsewhere. So, Vallejo and now P3 are the two other paints I have started using. Not really sure I like either of those all that much (Vallejo bottles never work for me, and P3 seems to be glossy).

n.

Offline ChukTuttle

• Librarian
  • Physicist/Astronomer
« Reply #20 on: August 01, 2007, 05:19:20 PM »

No insult taken.  I just wanted to show that not all GW employees were naturally annoying  :lol:

As far as listening, that was commandment 4 of 10.

Back to paints...the old Citadel paints, now made by a different manufacturer are still some of my favorites.  I like the Foundry system and colors, but there aren't any stores over here that carry them.  I have to get them from the Warstore and they are too expensive for me to add them to my large arsenal of existing paints.  I recently bought some of the P3 paints, but haven't given them a go yet.  I'm not adept enough to use Model Color and my Game Color gets a case of the squirts every now and again (very irritating).  Sometimes I want to NPP - no paint painting - and just game with my miniatures in the raw. :oops:

Offline cmsciulli

• Librarian
  • Cowgirl in training
    • http://paintedpony.wordpress.com/
« Reply #21 on: August 01, 2007, 08:11:30 PM »
When you guys say GW, are you referring to Games Workshop Citadel paints?
"You can't fight the desert... you have to ride with it."- Louis L'Amour

http://paintedpony.wordpress.com/

Offline WitchfinderGeneral

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #22 on: August 01, 2007, 08:28:52 PM »
Yes, GW paints actually mean Citadel paints. But people also call Citadel minis GW minis...

Offline cmsciulli

• Librarian
  • Cowgirl in training
« Reply #23 on: August 01, 2007, 08:34:18 PM »
Quote from: "WitchfinderGeneral"
Yes, GW paints actually mean Citadel paints. But people also call Citadel minis GW minis...

Gah, all this technical jargon!  :o

Thanks guys.

Offline Stecal

• Scientist
    • Pictures of my minis
« Reply #24 on: August 01, 2007, 10:40:30 PM »
I use a mix of everything - Valejo, Foundry, P3, GW, Reaper Master, but find myself using the cheap craft paints more often than not, usually Ceramcoat.  The Foundry & GW paints seem to dry up too fast, and now that Foundry raised their US price to $4 pot I am not interested in them much anymore.  I am sticking to the dropper bottles in the future -P3, Valejo & Reaper.  I do like the GW Foundation Ochre as a good base for yellow as yellows are so hard to find that give  a good cover over black.
Clear the battlefield and let me see
All the profit from our victory.

Offline Buzgob

• Librarian
« Reply #25 on: August 03, 2007, 01:47:13 PM »
Vallejo model color mostly and vallejo game color secondly. Topped off with a few citadel inks and tamiya clear colors.
I gave away all the citadel paints I had because I was sick of all the dried out pots (the older twistcaps, before the newer fliptops) and I fell in love with the finer pigment and dull finish of Vallejo model color.

Offline revford

• Mastermind
« Reply #26 on: August 03, 2007, 03:23:37 PM »

No worries, I've heard from a few people how bad they are in GW stores these days.  I didn't remember it being so bad when I worked there 12 years ago so I went down and 'tested' it in the local store.

Yep, just as bad as people here have said, just for entertainment I asked why a single 28mm plastic Space Marine Commander, or two plastic Empire Wizards cost £10 (about €15).  Which was fun.

Next he tried to tell me that Forge World Imperial Guardsmen are expensive because Resin is expensive compared to Metal or Plastic.

But you're right, they won't just leave you alone to browse about.
Gav Ford
revford@gmail.com

Offline Whitewolf

• Librarian
« Reply #27 on: August 03, 2007, 06:49:35 PM »
Being a relative noobie, I use Foundry and Vallejo. One day I hope to get somewhat close to the high standards that are shown here on a regular basis.

Offline cmsciulli

• Librarian
  • Cowgirl in training
« Reply #28 on: August 03, 2007, 08:32:24 PM »
Quote from: "Whitewolf"
Being a relative noobie, I use Foundry and Vallejo. One day I hope to get somewhat close to the high standards that are shown here on a regular basis.

Freaking tell me about it ><

I need to go take some painting classes. . . you guys do some awesome work here with figs and buildings/terrain.

Offline Hammers

• Amateur papiermachiéer
  • Elder God
  • Workbench and Pulp Moderator
« Reply #29 on: August 03, 2007, 08:49:49 PM »
Quote from: revford
Yep, just as bad as people here have said, just for entertainment I asked why a single 28mm plastic Space Marine Commander, or two plastic Empire Wizards cost £10 (about €15).  Which was fun.

Next he tried to tell me that Forge World Imperial Guardsmen are expensive because Resin is expensive compared to Metal or Plastic./quote]

Is this true? I mean, it is an empirical fact that the rpice of resin minis are often as high or higher than metal minis. With todays metal prices, why is that?