Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 11:36:11 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Kobolds...  (Read 12856 times)

Offline DeafNala

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
Re: Kobolds...
« Reply #30 on: September 27, 2014, 11:36:44 PM »
Those are by far the best Kobold figures I have ever seen; AND your OUTSTANDING abilities with the brush & your FINE eye for colors have made them WONDROUSLY DONE little creations. FANTASTIC WORK!
I'd NEVER join a club that would have me as a member.  G.Marx

Offline Elbows

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #31 on: September 27, 2014, 11:44:07 PM »
Gorgeous paint work.  I keep putting off picking up Kobolds...I've never played much D&D but I figure they'd be a nice addition to a generic dungeon crawl. 
2024 Painted Miniatures: 166
('23: 159, '22: 214, '21: 148, '20: 207, '19: 123, '18: 98, '17: 226, '16: 233, '15: 32, '14: 116)

https://myminiaturemischief.blogspot.com
Find us at TurnStyle Games on Facebook!

Offline abbot_amaury

• Librarian
    • http://www.amazing-tintales.de
« Reply #32 on: October 03, 2014, 06:27:57 PM »
Sir-
I was wondering color formula you came up with for these kobolds and what paint line you use for your technique. Excellent work!

Uh, sorry for the late reply, but I haven't seen your post until you sent me a PM.

First I have to say thanks for the nice comments since your post. Always welcome!

Regarding your question:
This is quite an old thread (4 years now) and with all the years gone by my memory is not getting better...  :)  but I wrote it down in my 'painting diary' back then:
  • the base color for the kobold skin is Terracotta Red from Games Workshop (now OOP - one of the colors I really liked from the GW line...). For the shades I simply toned down the Terracota with black (also from GW, but I think any acrylic black would do). According to my notes the highlights were done by mixing in some Wargames Foundry 7B (Buff Leather) and/or some Foundry 4B (Ochre).
  • the NMM: that's just black and white. I'am quite sure that the light/reflection effects I try to 'simulate' with my NMM are completely wrong from a physical point of view. I just try to keep it simple and hope that it looks ok in the end: basically it is simply a colour gradient (light grey <-> dark grey) on each side/surface of a 'metallic' object. The gradients on adjacent surfaces have opposite directions (see the kobolds' spears)
  • generally I like to get a high contrast on my minis. You get high contrast by using very dark shades and light highlights. With this wide difference between shade and highlight within a base color it is important to achieve smooth transitions from shade to light: normally I do this by overlaying the darker tone with the lighter tone by light brush strokes. The brush should not get to dry when doing this. Therefore I use bigger brushes (size 2) because smaller ones tend to dry faster

Hope that helps. If you have any further questions feel free to ask...
Cheers
Hagen

Offline **GS**

• Mad Scientist
  • never enough time
    • Spitl.de
« Reply #33 on: October 04, 2014, 05:31:39 AM »
Supreme painting on these cute little critters.

Keep on showing thimgs, I like your style

Cheers
GS
"You don't have enough magic in you to make cereals into breakfast!"Harry Blackstone Copperfield Dresden

Offline The Dozing Dragon

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • The Little Soldier Company
« Reply #34 on: October 04, 2014, 05:39:23 AM »
Wonderful. I am due to paint a bunch of Koblolds for the Frothers game at Salute next year. You have inspired me to action!

Offline Kyusumu

• Bookworm
« Reply #35 on: October 05, 2014, 01:07:26 AM »
Fantastic brushwork on the vile little barking gits haha

They look great  :D

The color/shading/painting tips were much appreciated too.  Also gives me inspiration to keep my "painting log" or jumble of papers more up to date :)
When fighting the thousand, you must still defeat them one at a time.