Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 20, 2024, 04:29:49 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689759
  • Total Topics: 118294
  • Online Today: 786
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online
Users: 6
Guests: 645
Total: 651

Recent

Author Topic: Some pointers  (Read 2318 times)

Offline abhorsen950

• Mastermind
Some pointers
« on: September 10, 2010, 03:48:35 PM »
Hello everyone, just today I received a stunning little box containing 12 miniatures from Black Cat Bases, I'm over the moon with this purchase and is only my second none GW Purchase, I have a box of Perry's napoleonic line infantry (British) glued together and waiting patiently for a game.

Now I've received this box of minis and what I'm looking for is just a wargames rule set that can cover practically any period, I just want a nice mish mash of a game involving any model from any company/genre/historical period.

Was wondering if anybody new of any good free ones, though I've still got some birthday money so I could look into a book.

Cheers
Steve

Offline Arlequín

• Galactic Brain
  • Culpame de la Bossa Nova...
Re: Some pointers
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2010, 10:48:02 PM »
It's not often we claim anyone back from the dark side, so good call there!  :D

It might help if you give a rough outline of what type of games you plan on playing, are you looking at massed battles with a high figure to man ratio, or are you planning on skirmish type games?

As I've not quite reached the age where I can't remember being 15, I recall that I had some very grandiose and unattainable plans re my gaming, which oddly haven't seemed to happen. So maybe you might want to avoid that route and give some thought to what you realistically will be doing.

I'd hold off spending your cash until you've decided on what you want out of a game

Free Wargames Rules has some good, not so good and some downright awful rules for nothing, so it's worth a root through for a start.

I don't know what you got from Black Cat Bases, but Wastelands forum hosts a set of rules for post-apocalyptic/near future games that might be usable. I've heard good reports about them, but haven't used them myself.

Napoleonics or an all singing and dancing set of rules I can't help you with, sorry.  :(

Offline Sangennaru

• Galactic Brain
  • The Lazy One
    • The Lazy Forger
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2010, 11:13:34 PM »
As I've not quite reached the age where I can't remember being 15

lol lol lol

Song of Blades and Heroes is pretty nice, there are lots of expansion and is extremely easy to make a balanced custom setting.
the core manual is 4$, online pdf.
i think it worth.

Offline VoodooInk

• Scientist
    • bombshell-games.com
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2010, 11:24:20 PM »
I am going to recommend HAVOC. (it's my game ;))

You can do Dark Age, Medieval, Renaissance, and Fantasy gaming.

Some reviews...
http://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=21701.0
http://theminiaturespage.com/boards/msg.mv?id=204271

The amazon.com link below will let you use the Look InSide feature for a little preview.
http://www.amazon.com/Havoc-Tactical-Miniature-Brent-Spivey/dp/0984303707/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1258386710&sr=8-1
'HAVOC... it's okay to wreak a little!'    <a href="http://www.bombshell-games.com/>bombshell games[/url]

Offline Calimero

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2010, 01:23:36 AM »

Don't forget Chain Reaction 3.0 by Two Hour Wargames...

http://www.angelfire.com/az3/twohourwargames/free.htm
A CANADIAN local hobby store with a small selection of historical wargames miniatures (mainly from Warlords). They also have a great selection of paint and hobby accessories from Vallejo, Army painter, AK Interactive, Green Stuff World and more.; https://www.kingdomtitans.ca/us/

Offline midismirnoff

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2010, 11:54:19 AM »
lol lol lol

Song of Blades and Heroes is pretty nice, there are lots of expansion and is extremely easy to make a balanced custom setting.
the core manual is 4$, online pdf.
i think it worth.

Ditto,
and you can get a specific nap skirmish mod called songs of drums and shakos (I think).

Chain Reaction is great, but a bit hard to use (and it's free).
Instagram profile: the_mediocre_wargamer

Offline abhorsen950

• Mastermind
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2010, 02:35:29 PM »
Cheers guys, completely forgot to say, Ill be doing Skirmish games I've heard about Chain Reaction It needs to cover, ancients all they way up to Sci-Fi and everything in between :')

Thanks again everyone ill check out what you said.

Steve

Offline Michi

• Galactic Brain
  • Hoist the colours!
    • Tableterror
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2010, 02:42:46 PM »
what I'm looking for is just a wargames rule set that can cover practically any period, I just want a nice mish mash of a game involving any model from any company/genre/historical period.

I am just in the process of writing exactly such at the moment. If you are patient enough to wait until christmas I shall have the rules finished, tested and translated into English. These will allow playing skirmishes (solo up to four players - well, also more if needed) with up to six characters in any chosen period and of any quality you like. It is mainly aimed at (re-)creating movie scenes with a totally new winning condition system (there will be objectives, but you´ll rather win by performance). If interested, drop me a pm.

Offline abhorsen950

• Mastermind
« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2010, 02:48:03 PM »
Will do such a thing :D