Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 02:00:32 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: New Member Returning to the Hobby after a Break of a Few Decades  (Read 964 times)

Offline Muddlingthrough

• Assistant
Hello from Canada,

Got into tabletop wargaming in the late 80s early 90s. My dad had a degree in history and was into traditional wargaming with the paper maps and cardboard counters. Used to take me to gaming stores where I became enamoured with early Games Workshop stuff. I had a 1st Edition 40k Rogue Trader hardcover, 1st Edition Blood Bowl, Space Marine. Never had Space Hulk, though I played it.

Around age 14 I discovered Led Zeppelin and started making bad life choices. This led to me eventually joining the Army (some would call this the ultimate bad life choice). All my wargaming stuff was lost to "time and chance." My hobbies throughout the last 30 or so years included drinking beer, mountain-climbing, long-distance running, hiking, backpacking and whatnot. Active stuff.

I've always sort of kept up with developments in wargaming as I have friends who've stuff with it, played a bit at their place, but haven't collected and painted myself.

That is, until this year. Unfortunately, I developed a bit of a debilitating chronic illness that, while totally non-destructive and certainly non-fatal, has forced me to give up active hobbies and active living in general. After moping a bit I searched around for a sedentary hobby and quickly settled on tabletop wargaming.

I've bought Clash of Spears to refight the Second Punic War on my dining room table. Zona Alpa for some post-apocalyptic post-Soviet salvage skirmish, and Victory Decision - Future Combat for a super-secret sci-fi project. Loving every moment so far.

Also, looking to paint up a team for Silver Bayonet - Canada and maybe some bad guys for Bolt Action.

Edit: And I was delighted to discover that my 7-year-old is really into painting miniatures. He's painted 3 Romans so far, including the Centurion (gulp).
« Last Edit: April 07, 2024, 06:21:23 PM by Muddlingthrough »

Offline Pattus Magnus

• Scatterbrained Genius
Re: New Member Returning to the Hobby after a Break of a Few Decades
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2024, 07:05:51 PM »
Welcome back into tabletop gaming and to LAF! Your projects sound like a good selection, I have no doubt that they will mushroom out into a range of projects!

Canada’s a big place, just curious which region you’re in? I’m in Alberta, myself.

Offline has.been

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2024, 07:10:44 PM »
Welcome back. Now...enjoy. :D

Offline Muddlingthrough

• Assistant
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2024, 07:24:12 PM »
Welcome back into tabletop gaming and to LAF! Your projects sound like a good selection, I have no doubt that they will mushroom out into a range of projects!

Canada’s a big place, just curious which region you’re in? I’m in Alberta, myself.

Ontari-ari-o.

My ambition outstrips my time (and wallet). Besides what I'm actually working on, I've also window-shopped 15mm French-Indochina miniatures (along with some suitable hats on ebay), Wild West skirmish (man, are there ever a lot of rule-sets), and some fantasy and Outremer skirmish rules.

Offline fred

• Galactic Brain
    • Miniature Gaming
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2024, 09:14:21 PM »
Welcome back to wargaming!

Glad to see that you already have the correct level of wanting to do everything!

One suggestion would be to stick to a single scale / size - as this makes terrain collection and storage a lot simpler. Especially if you are going 28mm terrain is big - and takes a lot of space, so the more you have that is usable across multiple periods the better.

Offline Muddlingthrough

• Assistant
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2024, 11:57:07 PM »
Welcome back to wargaming!

Glad to see that you already have the correct level of wanting to do everything!

One suggestion would be to stick to a single scale / size - as this makes terrain collection and storage a lot simpler. Especially if you are going 28mm terrain is big - and takes a lot of space, so the more you have that is usable across multiple periods the better.

Great advice. My Romans, Exclusion Zone stalkers and Sci-fi project will all be 28mm. Most everything else should be that as well. I've got plans to build some terrain and am planning for versatility. Stuff that will work across at least a couple different themes. French Indo-China remains a dream.

Offline has.been

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2024, 06:27:21 AM »
French Indo-China remains a dream.

Take a look at Empress Miniatures. (28mm Indo-China)

https://www.empressminiatures.com/vietnam--french-indo-china-17-c.asp

Offline Pattus Magnus

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2024, 06:56:06 AM »
I can certainly relate to ambition outstripping time and money availability. The advice to keep to one scale and focus on multi-purpose terrain is very sensible. Difficult to maintain, with shiny stuff available in so many scales, but sensible. I would take that approach if I were starting over.

Offline macsen wledig

• Bookworm
  • Dave Hollin
    • Society of Ancients
« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2024, 07:56:19 AM »
welcome back to the hobby (you can take the person out of the hobby but not the hobby out of the person)

sticking to one scale is sensible....until the scale munchies kick in and then the rabbit hole opens up

wibble
Slingshot Editor, Society of Ancients

Offline Grumpy Gnome

• Galactic Brain
    • The Grumpy Gnome
« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2024, 04:35:38 PM »
Welcome back and welcome aboard!
Home of the Grumpy Gnome

https://thegrumpygnome.home.blog/

Offline Muddlingthrough

• Assistant
« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2024, 10:37:47 PM »
Take a look at Empress Miniatures. (28mm Indo-China)

I was already window-shopping some modern Russians with extra heads for Zona Alfa. This is all the justification I need (rationale?). Shipping is cheaper (per unit) if I order more!

Offline nicknorthstar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2024, 11:48:46 PM »
Welcome to LAF

Offline Sleepy Snoozy Skeletons

• Assistant
« Reply #12 on: April 09, 2024, 05:47:58 AM »
Hey, you've got some nice projects cooking. If you like kitbashing the Stargrave Scavengers with their big coats are a great starting point for Zona Alpha. I've bought a box for just that  :D

And I feel you, so many ideas and so little cash in the wallet and time in a day  lol

Offline macsen wledig

• Bookworm
  • Dave Hollin
    • Society of Ancients
« Reply #13 on: April 10, 2024, 07:46:19 AM »
work is the curse of the wargaming class

Offline Muddlingthrough

• Assistant
« Reply #14 on: April 12, 2024, 05:22:49 PM »
Hey, you've got some nice projects cooking. If you like kitbashing the Stargrave Scavengers with their big coats are a great starting point for Zona Alpha. I've bought a box for just that  :D

And I feel you, so many ideas and so little cash in the wallet and time in a day  lol

I got a box of Warlord Games Spec Ops dudes for my first crew. It was on sale and locally available. I love the extreme post-apocalyptic esthetic that the Zona Alfa author pursues with his miniatures: the overcoats and elephantine respirators. I'm gonna stick with a bit more "military modern" esthetic for versatility. I need to build a cadre of modern military troops for various games. That Stargrave suggestion did send me down a bit of a rabbit-hole for another project though and I'm looking at the troopers now.