Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 10:41:18 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Any Advice for Water Dioramas?  (Read 10524 times)

Offline YPU

• Galactic Brain
  • In glorious 3D!
Re: Any Advice for Water Dioramas?
« Reply #15 on: September 17, 2010, 09:59:44 PM »

Now to figure out how to create a Chinese Type 94 submarine for 28mm miniatures...

Thanks everyone!

Make sure most of it is under water? In my opinion most subs look rather plain if done right and quite ugly if done wrong, so making the diorama more about the action and the movement rather then the mini as much might help in my opinion.
3d designer, sculptor and printer, at your service!

3d files! (here)

Offline Michi

• Galactic Brain
  • Hoist the colours!
    • Tableterror
« Reply #16 on: September 17, 2010, 10:13:49 PM »
Make sure most of it is under water? In my opinion most subs look rather plain if done right and quite ugly if done wrong, so making the diorama more about the action and the movement rather then the mini as much might help in my opinion.

Like that!!!

Offline Roebeast45

• Mad Scientist
    • Roebeast's Magical House of Sunshine
« Reply #17 on: September 17, 2010, 10:15:27 PM »

Indeed! I'm only doing to nose to make it a manageable size and it will be positioned during an "emergency blow" so the angle will be pretty extreme. Most of the surface will be covered with foam so it's more about sculpting that realistically.
"This is no time for ease and comfort. It is the time to dare and endure."

-- Winston Churchill

Visit Roebeast's Magical House of Sunshine! http://roebeast.blogspot.com/
And RSquared Studios: www.rsquaredcomics.com

Offline Roebeast45

• Mad Scientist
    • Roebeast's Magical House of Sunshine
« Reply #18 on: September 17, 2010, 10:17:54 PM »
Like that!!!

Yup! Here's the reference shot I'm going with

Offline Antenociti

• Scientist
    • Antenociti's Workshop
« Reply #19 on: September 19, 2010, 01:56:56 PM »
I always had a problem colouring clear resin... that thread linked earlier mentions using Tamiya paints to colour it. Anyone tried this before?

If its a resin then you cant use any water-based paint in it - it casuses an unwanted chemical reaction.
\"You don\'t need eyes to see, you need vision.\"

Offline YPU

• Galactic Brain
  • In glorious 3D!
« Reply #20 on: September 19, 2010, 02:02:54 PM »
Pictures

Jup! that exactly what I was talking about, to borrow an explanation from Sir Pratchet,
Its not what the thing is, but what is left of the thing when you take it away. (ok, he was talking about a white horse engraved on a hillside, but still)

Offline Malebolgia

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Lost in Cyberspace
    • Paintoholic
« Reply #21 on: September 20, 2010, 09:15:36 AM »
If its a resin then you cant use any water-based paint in it - it casuses an unwanted chemical reaction.

Huh? All the tutorials I read said you can use inks in Envirotex Lite and Solid Water (the stuff you guys sell). In fact, did so last weekend without a problem. Got me some nice and idyllic blue water 8). I used P3 Blue Ink.
“What use was time to those who'd soon achieve Digital Immortality?”

Offline AndrewBeasley

• Mastermind
« Reply #22 on: September 20, 2010, 01:55:47 PM »
This may be a little too late but I have just come across:

http://www.aircraftresourcecenter.com/tnt1/001-100/TNT067_making-water_Geraths/tnt067.htm

Andrew

Offline Antenociti

• Scientist
    • Antenociti's Workshop
« Reply #23 on: September 21, 2010, 05:31:17 PM »
Huh? All the tutorials I read said you can use inks in Envirotex Lite and Solid Water (the stuff you guys sell). In fact, did so last weekend without a problem. Got me some nice and idyllic blue water 8). I used P3 Blue Ink.

envirotex lite is a polyurethane varnish  ;)  (cheaper equivalent is Yacht-Varnish btw, "polyurethane yacht varnish")

Water reacts with resins to a rather nasty mess, although there is a varying degree of this. Any resin-caster will tell you never to mix the two together, however you can get away with colouring using water-based inks sometimes, other times it will go fizzy on you. it's down to relative volumes i guess....

but to be safe, don't do it - or do it and run the risk, I admit that I tend to do so with small amounts, but if its a big commercial piece of scenery i use a resin-dye instead.

ateotd i guess its one of those "things to be aware of that might go wrong" rather than an absolute rule... like spraying Testors dullcote over decals.