Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 06:37:53 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686614
  • Total Topics: 118113
  • Online Today: 762
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Horror of the Cult of Ankou  (Read 1759 times)

Offline Operator5

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • The Silent Sentinel
    • Rattrap Productions LLC
Horror of the Cult of Ankou
« on: September 17, 2010, 02:39:18 PM »
I ran another playtest game on Tuesday night of .45 Adventure 2nd Edition. I had two players and I was there to explain rules. Both players were essentially new to the 2nd edition.

Each player controlled a Grade 3, Grade 2, and 6 Grade 1s. The game played to completion in just over 2 hours on a 3 ft. x 2 ft. board.

A couple of things I noticed that I think I enjoyed, though some players may or may not like it. Ammo becomes much more important. When you are rolling multiple dice, it becomes much easier to roll 1s. Whereas in 1st edition a player rarely ran out of ammo, there were two characters in this game that were down to their last reloads.

I really like the addition of the Run mechanic. It helps keep the action moving and does not result in players spending 3-4 turns just trying to get into position.

And, for your enjoyment, some pictures from the game.

Here is a shot of the board at the start.

And an overhead shot as well (I had not painted the grave markers yet).

The cultists of Ankou advance. Their High Priest has animated a corpse from the graveyard to help them.

This is NOT the Avon lady knocking!

Two local cops helping out Emerson P. Balldridge come under attack from the risen corpse. The blood marker represents the Grade 1 model being wounded.

Nick Clayton, a Grade 2 Enforcer, takes aim at two of the cultists bearing down on him. He used his Rapid Fire ability to take shots at both (though he missed one).

And the cultist that was missed charges into close combat where he proceeded to clock Nick over the head with his torch. Nick's hard head protected him from being rendered unconscious.

The fight inside the farmhouse gets chaotic as everyone tries to find the things they need to either complete or stop the cultists' ceremony.

Already badly wounded at the start of the fight, Emerson ended up being overpowered by the High Priest and his undead minion.
Richard A. Johnson
On Facebook: Rattrap on Facebook

Offline Christian

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • ... standing on the shoulders of giants.
    • INCLTVS REX - Late Antique wargames blog
Re: Horror of the Cult of Ankou
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2010, 02:51:50 PM »
I love the idea of running out of ammo in a game! It would really add a bit of tension...

You have been asked this already, but will the Fantastic Worlds expansion still work with the new version?

FW has some of the best stuff you've done, in my opinion.