Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2024, 05:13:04 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690465
  • Total Topics: 118332
  • Online Today: 732
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Le Monstre de Montmartre  (Read 2502 times)

Offline Westfalia Chris

• Cardboard Warlord
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Brain
  • Elaborate! Elucidate! Evaluate!
Le Monstre de Montmartre
« on: August 11, 2007, 10:36:03 PM »
Chérs amis,

well, I thought I was sound and proof and firmly entrenched against the lure of Gothic Horror gaming.

Duh. Then Kabel 1 aired "Vidocq" on Wednesday night. I remembered I had a Black Scorpion "Mad Hatter" lying around somewhere which I got as a freebie back in January (nice folks, those) and had absolutely NO IDEA what to use him for... I thought, oh well, paint him up and have a nice "scum de Paris" figure to remind me of the film.

You know me, mesdames et messieurs, I cannot stop at a single figure. Never could. Coincidentally, I had lent a number of Anne Perry novels, and had an inspiration overnight.

So, my magnum opus for the rest of the year, and which might be my contribution for Tactica 2008, will be a "Catacombs de Paris" dungeon crawl table, with splendidly-painted single figures, some sculpts, and a circular playing area at least 24" in diameter with multiple levels.

As said, the first finished figure is "Jacques Chapeau-Claque", a slightly deranged, grumpy hatter with a soft spot for the "Ladies of the Night" of Montmartre, which are threatened by a horrible series of murders and abductions.

Coming up next: A gypsy fortune teller/martial artiste and a butcher´s wife.

Coming soon: Men of mystery setting forth to capture "Le Monstre", including Eugene Vidocq and the Count of Monte Cristo!

And of course, more of the "scum de Paris", people so poor "zhey don´t even ´ave a language, just thees stoopid acsont!"

Plus: Concept sketches of the table, and, if all goes as planned, the first stages by late September.

Offline vikotnik

• Moonman
  • Mad Scientist
  • Jack Radient Sky
Le Monstre de Montmartre
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2007, 10:57:18 PM »
Salu Chris!

Man, this looks nice!

I really am looking forward to Tactica now, perhaps we should bribe them to have our tables next to each other, making up the 'german-originated french gaming fraction' there...:wink:

Coincidentally, I am reading 'Vidocq' right now, from what I heard about the film being arty-farty, the book must surely be better! :mrgreen:  

Bonne nuit, mon ami!
Zafarelli at 01:00 am:
\"...everything is strange in a way. ... Always."

Offline Zafarelli

• Resin Nabob
  • Mad Scientist
    • http://www.pardulon-models.com
Le Monstre de Montmartre
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2007, 12:42:26 AM »
If this table is anything like your Castle Wolfenfels, I am already looking forward to see it (and my son will be looking forward to assist in rolling fives and sixes for anyone interested :lol: )

Drop me a note on what exactly you have in mind, we might find a mutually beneficial arrangement one again...
Resin buildings, scenery and other useful stuff: www.pardulon-models.com

Offline Westfalia Chris

• Cardboard Warlord
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Brain
Le Monstre de Montmartre
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2007, 11:20:47 AM »
Quote from: "vikotnik"
Salu Chris!

Man, this looks nice!

I really am looking forward to Tactica now, perhaps we should bribe them to have our tables next to each other, making up the 'german-originated french gaming fraction' there...:wink:

Great idea! We´ll have to look into this! And since I plan to use a rather compact overall layout...

Coincidentally, I am reading 'Vidocq' right now, from what I heard about the film being arty-farty, the book must surely be better! :mrgreen:

I was skeptical, as well, this being the main reason I didn´t buy the DVD yet; however, I was absolutely POSITIVELY surprised, the decors and costumes are exquisite, even better than the Depardieu "Comte" films; however, it shows that it was the first MAJOR motion picture to be shot on digital camera, it´s still a bit sketchy at times. Some scenes are a bit weird, but overall, it´s a very evocative movie, well worth seeing on TV, if not exactly in the cinema - but "arty-farty" is definitely NOT justified. I´ll definitely get the DVD once it´s back in stock.

Quote from: "Zafarelli"
If this table is anything like your Castle Wolfenfels, I am already looking forward to see it (and my son will be looking forward to assist in rolling fives and sixes for anyone interested :lol:)

Seriously? If it works out as I plan, Wolfenfels will be left in the shadow to ROT!!! And better, if one doesn´t stress the "Ladies of the Night" aspect too much, it´s even more "family friendly" than "die Pulpennazis"! :lol:

Drop me a note on what exactly you have in mind, we might find a mutually beneficial arrangement one again...

Indeed! I´m still in the planning stage, but there might be some stuff I could use. Have to finish that arty piece first, though...  :lipps:  :oops:

Offline Westfalia Chris

• Cardboard Warlord
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Brain
Le Monstre de Montmartre
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2007, 09:16:04 PM »
Next mini, a gypsy fortune-teller/martial artiste.

Actually a witch from the HellDorado "Occidentaux" box set. Exquisite little model. The butcher´s wife is next.

Please excuse the poor lighting. The accents come across much harsher than they are, although I did some pretty strong highlights on the face, to make her look a little more aged than the peachy-pearly skin of the original paint job.