Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 02:00:57 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690721
  • Total Topics: 118343
  • Online Today: 947
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: new Dark Eldar Raider - VSF Martian skiff????  (Read 10868 times)

Offline Agis

• villainous mastermind
  • Galactic Brain
    • A.D.Publishing
new Dark Eldar Raider - VSF Martian skiff????
« on: September 26, 2010, 03:46:09 PM »
Hi guys,
has anybody also noticed the new DE modles, pretty usual skull and horny GW stuff, but the Raider (sans the skulls and blades could made a very nice Martian flyer, or?
cheers and keep on gaming, Agis - https://www.adpublishing.de

Offline Dewbakuk

• Administrator
  • Galactic Brain
Re: new Dark Eldar Raider - VSF Martian skiff????
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2010, 03:49:40 PM »
Yep, I'd been thinking that. I'd want to widen it though.
So many projects..... so little time.......

Offline The_Beast

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • As my grandchildren see me...
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2010, 04:10:59 PM »
The previous version has been used extensively well, but I've not seen this, and have to agree a) very nice, and you know it hurts to say that about the Evil Empire(tm)   :D , and b) the previous model could use widening, and assume this is no different.

Thank goodness it shows NO suggestion Sky Galleons, or Star Wars, influence...   ;D

Just teasing! Thanks, will definitely have a look when it hits the store.

Just look at the size of his Radium gun!

Doug

Offline Dewbakuk

• Administrator
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2010, 04:16:34 PM »
ooh, I've just noticed the Parrotman skull on the back! I'm going to have to get it just for that!

Offline Heldrak

• The Dark Elf
  • Scatterbrained Genius
  • LPL IV Bronze Medalist
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2010, 04:28:43 PM »
Good thought! I quite like the sail...

I'm looking forward to the new Dark Eldar range- I'll be interested to see this new Raider from some different angles.
2012 Lead Tally: Painted:0

Offline The Dozing Dragon

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • The Little Soldier Company
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2010, 06:26:58 PM »
I've still got one of the older ones still shrink wrapped on the shelf bought for the same purpose......at least 4 years on and counting  lol

Offline General M@yhem

• Scientist
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2010, 06:37:07 PM »
Good thought! I quite like the sail...

I'm looking forward to the new Dark Eldar range- I'll be interested to see this new Raider from some different angles.

Anyone actually used the Eldar as actual Martians?

Offline Viper

• Mad Scientist
  • Sunny Scotland
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2010, 06:38:47 PM »
I totally agree, the old version was a lovely model (one of only a handful in the Dark Eldar range) and this one is even more characterful.

Same here, with 3rd Edition 40k being the first version of the game I actually played rather than just read background from I've always liked the Dark Eldar style and background if not their models.

This revamp/reboot of the race is looking pretty good but naturally as with all things Evil Empire the sculpting is only the beginning, the price, any background changes and the mould qualities will also play a huge factor for me.

I've got a couple of friends who play the current incarnation of 40k and I still keep an eye on the background even though I stepped out from under the EEs shadow so those other factors could well mean the difference between a couple of nice models/bits for conversion work, or being dragged kicking and screaming back into 40k.

Naturally my first instinct would be to make a small raider mounted raiding party and work out rules for them in a skirmish game with rules that make sense. I mean if the models are nice they would be fine for "Alien Race X" in any setting be it standard scifi, VSF, or whatever.

Anyone actually used the Eldar as actual Martians?
Just what I was thinking...certainly from the few pictures I've seen of the new miniatures they are a lot closer to a realistic scale than many of the companies models. The arms seem less overly long and the heads are mostly large due to armour or hair, besides the fact that alien races are allowed to have slightly weird anatomy.

Also Dark Eldar weapons have always had a suitably strange/ray gun feel to them and the new models are no exception, backed up by a miriad of strange close combat weapons.

I can see that jetbike being great for numerous settings aswell.

Here's hoping that they release a battleset with only the nicest models...and that it gets a big discount on ebay or from indie retailers.
 :)
« Last Edit: September 26, 2010, 06:47:10 PM by Viper »
Nemo me impune lacessit
Wha daur meddle wi' me?

Offline The_Beast

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2010, 07:52:55 PM »
@Agis, just wanted to point out that I copied your post to the Aeronef et al Sticky, as that certains seemed apropos to moi.

Thanks again!

Doug

Offline Viper

• Mad Scientist
  • Sunny Scotland
« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2010, 10:02:58 PM »
I don't know what various scales aeronef players use but I could see the bike working well and indeed the raider being turned into some kind of vast airship/sky destroyer thing.

Also having stumbled across some pictures of the sprues almost everything is seperate....gun shields, walls, floor panels, engine pieces. Even the plastic DE models themselves are maximum multipart...head, arms, torso, legs, sometimes even seperate legs. Rather than how the fantasy miniatures with new plastics have been moving towards less multiparting.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2010, 10:05:40 PM by Viper »

Offline Red Orc

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Baffled but happy
    • My new VSF blog:
« Reply #10 on: September 26, 2010, 10:06:17 PM »
Some time ago some of us were discussing using Dark Eldar as Martians for the Atlantis campaign - specifically, Ancient Martians (from 10,000 years ago) that had been stranded on the Lost Continent. Some of the participants had spotted unfamiliar flyers and we discussed the use of the then Raider model and the DE range for the crew. I was of the opinion that the baroque feel to the armour would lend them a kind of retro-futurist look. But I don't think anyone went with it in the end.

Maybe the new model will tempt someone, who knows?

Offline Westfalia Chris

• Cardboard Warlord
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Brain
  • Elaborate! Elucidate! Evaluate!
« Reply #11 on: September 26, 2010, 10:47:05 PM »
Hi guys,
has anybody also noticed the new DE modles, pretty usual skull and horny GW stuff, but the Raider (sans the skulls and blades could made a very nice Martian flyer, or?
http://www.games-workshop.com/MEDIA_CustomProductCatalog/m1390420a_8DE_Raider.jpg

Usually, I'm quite indifferent to GW's latest offerings, but this one looks like it really has quite some potential. I'd be particularly interested in what you could build from one, Agis - I still quite fondly remember that Harlequin grav-barge of yours which was featured in Citadel Journal.

Offline Christian

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • ... standing on the shoulders of giants.
    • INCLTVS REX - Late Antique wargames blog
« Reply #12 on: September 26, 2010, 11:43:00 PM »
Here's another view:

Offline Agis

• villainous mastermind
  • Galactic Brain
    • A.D.Publishing
« Reply #13 on: September 27, 2010, 08:35:21 AM »
Usually, I'm quite indifferent to GW's latest offerings, but this one looks like it really has quite some potential. I'd be particularly interested in what you could build from one, Agis - I still quite fondly remember that Harlequin grav-barge of yours which was featured in Citadel Journal.
Ahh those were the days...
You can still see them here:
http://www.adpublishing.de/html/dark_harlequins.html

Haven't played 40K since 3rd edition anyway...

Offline The_Beast

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #14 on: September 27, 2010, 01:26:22 PM »
I don't know what various scales aeronef players use but I could see the bike working well and indeed the raider being turned into some kind of vast airship/sky destroyer thing.

To the choir, brother! I was thinking 15mm on first glance of the bike, just an unusual case of my mouth (fingers) not running off immediately.  lol

Also having stumbled across some pictures of the sprues almost everything is seperate....gun shields, walls, floor panels, engine pieces. Even the plastic DE models themselves are maximum multipart...head, arms, torso, legs, sometimes even seperate legs. Rather than how the fantasy miniatures with new plastics have been moving towards less multiparting.

I will say that I'd never considered either Eldar, and will never consider bikini-clad ones, for Ancient Martians, but these may be changing my mind, especially as the masks have a bit of the feel of the Martian Chronicles made-for-TV mini series.

Ahh those were the days...
You can still see them here:
http://www.adpublishing.de/html/dark_harlequins.html

Haven't played 40K since 3rd edition anyway...

I must say I always found the Theatre of Death aspect of Harlequins rather dark already, but those are SWEET.

Over the years, I've acquired a few armies just for collecting, and a heck of a lot of loose junk, but I just got to thinking, while I've never played much, I don't think I've played a single game since Rouge (sic) Trader.  :D

But, I'm a vacchead...

Doug
« Last Edit: September 27, 2010, 01:37:23 PM by The_Beast »