Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 12:10:48 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686596
  • Total Topics: 118110
  • Online Today: 594
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: 6mm Martians for VSF?  (Read 6593 times)

Offline Haarken

• Librarian
    • Forgotten Futures
6mm Martians for VSF?
« on: September 30, 2010, 09:50:06 AM »
Hi there, i'm wondering if someone can help me. I've just started a new VSF project in 6mm and i would love to be able to field some John Carter of Mars martians and some War Of the Worlds type martians. Anyone know of any suitable miniatures out there? Alternatively can anyone suggest any alternatives?

Thanks.

Haarken
Forgotten Futures: Pulp, Dieselpunk & Weird War Gallery.

Offline Thunderchicken

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
  • Amusingly clumsy.
Re: 6mm Martians for VSF?
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2010, 08:21:47 AM »
Haarken, with the War of the Worlds Martians do you mean the Martians themselves or their fighting machines?
Don't!

Offline Haarken

• Librarian
    • Forgotten Futures
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2010, 01:34:18 PM »
Well primarily i meant the fighting machines but i'd like to have some martians outside of their fighting machines too.

Offline Fjodin

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2010, 05:36:03 AM »

Offline Thunderchicken

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
  • Amusingly clumsy.
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2010, 08:13:53 AM »
Alas they are thin on the ground for this scale   :(  Nothing is coming to mind at the moment but if it does I'll let you know. Ground Zero Games used to produce a model that would have been perfect for you but they are now OOP. I wrote to Jon at GZG a while ago to see if he had any old stock left but they're all gone  :(. The mould had worn out and wont be replaced. I had only bought a couple and wanted more so I'm a bit disappointed.

You might be looking at converting or scratcbuilding I'm afraid. Hopefully someone will come along and prove me wrong.  ;) 

Offline AndrewBeasley

• Mastermind
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2010, 09:59:12 AM »
Have a look at Brigade Models Cimexian range e.g. http://www.brigademodels.co.uk/6mmSF/Cimexian/BUG300-033.html

Image not to be used for commercial purposes

You may find the Olympians http://www.brigademodels.co.uk/LandIronclads/Olympians.html are too small for you as these are for 2mm not 6mm high figures.

Andrew

Offline The_Beast

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • As my grandchildren see me...
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2010, 12:40:22 PM »
@Andrew
I'd not thought of Germy's work. Some possibilities...

I'd like to suggest this might be another occasion for thinking in other scales. A 15mm or 25-28-whateverMM fantasy multi-leg beast or sci-fi walker droid or device-on-tripod might well translate to a Martian tripod. I know RAFM has some remote gun droids that might be appropriate, and one could take a GW Tau disc thingy and add legs, but neither seem quite right. Vague mental images of radially spread six legged Star Wars and D&D beasts aren't resolving in to particular examples.

Feeling a bit groggy for reasons I can't fathom, so not coming up with lots of great ideas, but maybe someone else will feel pointed in the right direction.

Doug

Offline AndrewBeasley

• Mastermind
« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2010, 03:23:15 PM »

Feeling a bit groggy for reasons I can't fathom

Doug,

You have obviously caught my chest infection by hanging out on the same board...  :o

As for other scales - an obvious thought is the GZG V15-84A drones - 6 legs but cute.

Andrew
(Who is sorry if he infects anyone else)

Offline The_Beast

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • As my grandchildren see me...
« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2010, 06:16:37 PM »
Doug,

You have obviously caught my chest infection by hanging out on the same board...  :o

As for other scales - an obvious thought is the GZG V15-84A drones - 6 legs but cute.

Andrew
(Who is sorry if he infects anyone else)

Nah, I've been fighting sniffles and coughs for a couple of weeks; you may have me to blame for yours.

Now, if you've come that far in thinking substitutes, I'm almost wondering  why you are bothering us with your questions. ;->=

The nice think about evenly spaced six legs is, delete every other one, and you have a well-spaced tripod. I don't have any of the drones, so can't comment on size, but I'd have to think those would be awesome.

Doug

Offline Haarken

• Librarian
    • Forgotten Futures
« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2010, 08:17:45 PM »
Just want to say a really big thank you for all the responses.

@Fjodin: Thanks for the reply. Those look brilliant, i might have to have a bash at some of those myself. Do you have any sculpting advice?

@ThunderChicken: Thanks for the reply.  I've seen the GZG tripods and they would have been perfectly, I think i've found something i can use instead.

@AndrewBeasley: Thanks for the reply. I hadn't thought of Brigade, there's definitely some potential there, if only it mean's i've got less to scratchbuild. Those GZG robots might end up as British walkers rather than tripods. Great suggestion though.

@The Beast: Thanks for the reply. Some good suggestions but i think i've got the walkers sorted.

Offline Thunderchicken

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
  • Amusingly clumsy.
« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2010, 09:12:43 PM »
No problem, keep us updated on your progress.  :)

Offline Fjodin

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #11 on: October 03, 2010, 10:01:30 PM »
They are very easy tu sculpt. First make a base and wait for it to be hard. Then make tentacles and round ball wich rill be body. Wait for 15minutes and stick them togeter. Stick martian to base and take a needle. Make an eyes and mouth with needle. Wait another 15 inutes and add detail to matrian :)