Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 01:40:42 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686487
  • Total Topics: 118102
  • Online Today: 857
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: War Rocket (Updated with Pictures)  (Read 2363 times)

Offline Mo

• Mad Scientist
    • Oddman Productions
War Rocket (Updated with Pictures)
« on: October 10, 2010, 08:37:13 PM »
Will and I played our first game of War Rocket on Sunday. It was a lot of fun. I took pics, but the ships were in various stages of painting, so I'll hold off posting any for now.

We played probably the two most opposite forces in the game. The imperial forces with their high armor and low maneuverability against the Zenethians with their 'Eldar-like' movement rules and puny armor.

Good rolling on both sides eliminated the Zenethian Grade 3 ship and one of the Imperial Grade 2 models early on. Most of the rest of the game was a dog fight with the grade 1's. (there was one Grade 2 imperial left, but he couldn't maneuver for a shot to save his life.) In the end the Imperial forces proved too tough for the Zenethians. Will got shots most every turn, but had trouble penetrating the armor. A bad decision on Will's part to hold movement for most of his fleet left him vulnerable for a stunning shot on his Grade 2 and then a killing shot.

The rules are quick and easy to pick up. The soul of the game is the different movement abilities for the races. It really makes the different races unique and adds a lot of strategy to the game.

The larger ships, like most games are big moving targets. Give me a handful of Grade 1s in exchange anytime.

Marc
« Last Edit: October 11, 2010, 12:30:57 AM by Mo »
Fantastic Worlds: Pulp Action in the Far Reaches of Space
http://oddmanproductions.com

Offline fastolfrus

• Galactic Brain
Re: War Rocket
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2010, 09:26:09 PM »
Is War Rocket stocked by anyone on this side of the pond, or just US ?
Gary, Glynis, and Alasdair (there are three of us, but we are too mean to have more than one login)

Offline anevilgiraffe

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • http://anevilgiraffe.blogspot.com/
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2010, 10:10:35 PM »
is that the flash gordon starship game?

Offline Mo

• Mad Scientist
    • Oddman Productions
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2010, 10:42:42 PM »
It is. Sold by Hydra Miniatures. The next time I run a game I'll have photos.

Marc

Offline Mo

• Mad Scientist
    • Oddman Productions
Re: War Rocket (Updated with Pictures)
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2010, 12:33:39 AM »
Even though the paint jobs were unfinished, the board was nice with a small planetoid and asteroids on it. Here are some pics of the action.

Offline WarGameGuru

• Scientist
    • WarGameGuru
Re: War Rocket (Updated with Pictures)
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2010, 02:28:48 AM »
I just got the book and some models in-hand from them last week, and I've only read it over once so far, and it doesn't look to hard as you said. It also looks like a lot of fun. I hope to find time this week to paint them up, and get the review started.

What I saw looked very promising at a glance tho, and the models are very retro in a Flash Gordon/Buck Rogers-esq, cliff-hangar serials sort of way.

I need to go to the fabric shop and pick up a piece of that black felt with glitter on it for a space play mat on the cheap, and some foam balls and chunks of foam to whip up some roids and planets with too now.

I like you pics as well, it's getting me geared up to play the more I see others imagery of it.