Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 01:54:11 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689607
  • Total Topics: 118286
  • Online Today: 662
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Dystopian Wars  (Read 20908 times)

Offline Modhail

• Mastermind
    • http://modhails-meanderings.blogspot.com/
Re: Dystopian Wars
« Reply #30 on: October 17, 2010, 07:54:15 PM »
Its not a bad thing to do.

Hear, hear!

I think the problem with the whole "VSF vs Steampunk" discussion is that there is a LOT of grey area and bleed-over between (and within) the two.
To me VSF is distinctively British, somewhat whimsical, and rooted in the mood and style of Victorian fantastical fiction. If the answer to the question "Could Verne have written about it?" is Yes, it's probably VSF. VSF is about atmosphere and style/elegance.
Steampunk is to me: Pulp/modern tech/ sci-fi "but powered by steam". Though these days it seems to have been diluted to "whatever with goggles and cogs tossed on". Steampunk is about big and brassy and "rule of cool".
Warmachine is weird... Many steampunks, as well as the game's creators, don't classify it as steampunk. It's basically fantasy "but powered by steam".

Oh yes, Distopian Wars... To put up a facade of relevance: Hmmm, the game's style strikes me as a bit of "Warhammer 1870".... Especially the character art and the tendency to turn military machines into monumental architecture. A bit too "grimdark" and ubergothic for my palate.
I could use the ships as Dwarves in Man O'War, by the looks of them.

Offline moonfarmer

• Lurker
« Reply #31 on: October 18, 2010, 12:21:07 PM »
 Theres only the St pauls cathedral miniature which has gothic overtures, but it is a mobile command, so needs to be impressive!!!....and the only conection the art has with warhammer is its produced by an ex-GW artist  ;)  but all the same its shaping up to be a jolly good game.

Offline Conquistador

• Galactic Brain
  • There are hostile eye watching us from the arroyos
« Reply #32 on: October 18, 2010, 12:41:44 PM »
I think the problem with the whole "VSF vs Steampunk" discussion is that there is a LOT of grey area and bleed-over between (and within) the two.
To me VSF is distinctively British, somewhat whimsical, and rooted in the mood and style of Victorian fantastical fiction. If the answer to the question "Could Verne have written about it?" is Yes, it's probably VSF. VSF is about atmosphere and style/elegance.

Well, there were plenty of Empires (and plenty of players with armies) in the era besides British.   :o  I chose to work on  8) Spain (duh, ya' think?   lol ) but America, France, Germany, Belgium, and Portugal come immediately to mind.  Edit:  Left out Japan!

Otherwise I think this is a great description of VSF and this game just seems (with just the information I read) to be a shade beyond the pale to be VSF.

Gracias,

Glenn
Viva Alta California!  Las guerras de España,  Las guerras de las Américas,  Las guerras para la Libertad!

Offline Plynkes

• The Royal Bastard
  • Elder God
  • I killed Mufasa!
    • http://misterplynkes.blogspot.com/
« Reply #33 on: October 18, 2010, 01:22:25 PM »
VSF is distinctively British? I fancy Monsieur Jules Verne might have a thing or two to say about that.  :)
With Cat-Like Tread
Upon our prey we steal...

Offline Modhail

• Mastermind
    • http://modhails-meanderings.blogspot.com/
« Reply #34 on: October 18, 2010, 02:04:19 PM »
Hehe, touché.  ;)
How about instead of "British" you read "refined and colonial/imperial in mindset" then? (Note that I'm in no way saying the British had a monopoly on being refined and colonial, mind you, nor that ALL British of the era were such... Just trying broaden the range as it were.)

It's an easy trap to fall into though, what with the era being called the "Victorian Era".... Not the Leopoldian era, or the Christianic, or  Umbertan, or Victor Emmanuellian, or Battenbergian  or Taisho or..... era.  :D

Offline axabrax

• Mastermind
« Reply #35 on: October 18, 2010, 03:13:15 PM »
I can't believe the amount of griping over the fact that the models don't fit in with people's preconceived notions of what the genre should be.  I have no experience at all with VSF, which probably gives me some objectivity, and I think these models look imaginative, professionally and thoughtfully designed, and that the whole concept looks like a lot of fun.
This is the first thing I have ever seen for the genre that could get me to spend my money, and that's got to be a success for Spartan on some level (despite the grumblings from the VSF grognards.)

Offline YPU

• Galactic Brain
  • In glorious 3D!
« Reply #36 on: October 18, 2010, 03:17:03 PM »
I have to say I am going to buy some models for this, probably two starter sets if they are going to be like the other beginner fleets they do.

If you look at the pictures on the site (there are some more now) I have to say this is far more gothic-pulp level then VSF and I DON'T CARE it looks awesome, that's all I need!  lol

Also the fact that is looks like it will provide combined lank air and naval action on such a scale with this over the top model, hell yes.
3d designer, sculptor and printer, at your service!

3d files! (here)

Offline Plynkes

• The Royal Bastard
  • Elder God
  • I killed Mufasa!
    • http://misterplynkes.blogspot.com/
« Reply #37 on: October 18, 2010, 03:50:28 PM »
....the grumblings from the VSF grognards.

I must say it has given me a bit of a laugh to see the VSFers, who so often love to look down on the uptight button-county tendencies of historical wargamers, behaving like... well, historical wargamers. We're not so different after all, are we?  ;)

I think it looks quite cool, too. I'd play it if someone brought it to gaming night, but I probably wouldn't start collecting it myself.

Offline dampfpanzerwagon

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #38 on: October 18, 2010, 03:54:28 PM »
I've only just come across this new game system and miniatures - first saw it over on TMP earlier today!

I'm interested in how it progresses, what figures and vehicles are launches.  In addition my first impression of the initial planned releases is that they are very well built and detailed and have a 'unique' character - in that they are not obviously Space 1889 or Aeronef or Leviathans!  Which I think is a good thing.

With past releases fro Spartan Games there have been a huge and wide range of support figures and vehicles, so I would expect the same with this.  Let's see what the future (on in this case the past) holds!

Tony
http://dampfpanzerwagon.blogspot.com/

Offline Dewbakuk

• Administrator
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #39 on: October 18, 2010, 04:36:56 PM »
Well, as I said, I like them. They won't be going into my VSF games but I'd happily play and if there is interest around here I'll probably buy some.
So many projects..... so little time.......

Offline Pappa Midnight

• Mastermind
  • Web-Fu 10th Dan Blackbelt
    • Pappa Midnight Presents Displaced Miniatures
« Reply #40 on: October 18, 2010, 06:11:08 PM »
I think the Zep-carrier thingy would look quite at home in a "Crimson Skies" type pulp affair.
Looking at the other models, they look "interesting" but I honestly don't see a VSF feel to them.......
That's from someone who builds steam Titans!!!!! :D

I think it was stated earlier, it has a Warhammer/Gothic feel to it and wouldn't look out of place on a back-water Imperial planet etc.

I think I would be more inclined to see how it plays rather than worry too much about the fluff.

PM
I don't want to achieve immortality through my work; I want to achieve immortality through not dying.

Offline Dr. The Viking

• Galactic Brain
  • Rowdy, Hostile and Wrong Inc.
    • Dr. The Vikings Miniature Games Hell
« Reply #41 on: October 18, 2010, 06:14:12 PM »
Are there any pictures of actual models? These are but 3d renders... and we all now how things can change from one media to the other......
My Empire - where everything I ever did is collected:

http://www.c0wabunga.com

Offline YPU

• Galactic Brain
  • In glorious 3D!
« Reply #42 on: October 18, 2010, 06:16:37 PM »
Are there any pictures of actual models? These are but 3d renders... and we all now how things can change from one media to the other......

Take a look at the other models on their site, Spartan Games does deliver very good casts of 3d renders.

Offline Dewbakuk

• Administrator
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #43 on: October 18, 2010, 06:17:39 PM »
I must say it has given me a bit of a laugh to see the VSFers, who so often love to look down on the uptight button-county tendencies of historical wargamers, behaving like... well, historical wargamers. We're not so different after all, are we?  ;)

Ah but no one has said you can't use them. Most have just said that they wouldn't, it's an important distinction :D

Offline Dr. The Viking

• Galactic Brain
  • Rowdy, Hostile and Wrong Inc.
    • Dr. The Vikings Miniature Games Hell
« Reply #44 on: October 18, 2010, 06:21:00 PM »
Take a look at the other models on their site, Spartan Games does deliver very good casts of 3d renders.

I've got their Ralgard fleet which I intend to use as Chinese for VSF, and they're great casts indeed. But this seems to be half the scale (meaning 1/8th the size [1/2*1/2*1/2 in 3d]) and the detail seems to be even greater!