Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 04:43:14 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Number 5 and Number 12  (Read 2431 times)

Offline Gunbird

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • With miniatures, anything is possible!
    • 20mm and then some
Number 5 and Number 12
« on: August 18, 2007, 08:34:16 PM »
Sorry, no Chinese take-away (though I just had some *burp*)

In order to get a few mechanical red shirts (as in the Star Trek kind) I've been prowling the web for suitable droids and robots (at an affordable price) and I was looking for a type that would be a bit like the mouse droids on the Death Star or the Farscape DRD's. I think I found what I want in the 15mm Sci-Fi ranges of Peter Pig, namely the 09-011 Combat Robots (5/pack).

First, I tried painting them yellow. Boy did I fail spectacularly!  :D  (Anybody with hints and tips how to do yellow, well, help!) Ok, <grumble>, stripped the bugger and made another one, and started to do a bit of converting on it was well, added a 1/144 IR jammer from an Apache and a round bitty from a 1/72 Valentine tank.  Did them grey to white and kept them rather plain and simple, and for a bit of character, gave them numbers. (Colourwise I'm aiming for the colour look of the little 3 legged things from the new Halflife game >> http://www.videogamesblogger.com/wp-content/uploads/2006/07/half-life-2-episode-two-old-new-2.jpg but more grey then white. And I might even scratch one or two of those things as well....)

So I present to you, Number 5 and Number 12.

And a bit of a close up of Number 5.

In my book Number 5 is kind of a snoop compared to the basic model, Number 12, hence the big camera and sensor on the side.

Lovely little models, if a bit rigid in their pose, and an annoying flaw, nameliy the thick base they come on. Number 5 and 12 have theirs hidden with sheets of plasticcard, number 12 has a much rougher finish representing a broken patch of (Milliput) concrete, while that of 5 was filed smooth. The bases took more time then the paintjob, and sanding the bases down takes ages and so far gave me 2 droids sitting on their asses as the legs tend to collapse while sanding. And yes, I will make a destroyed model as well.

Now, as to possible uses, my first thought would be on a space ship, but they would fit in an evil professors lab just as fine, or in a sci-fi city, or an robot army, or in my next game of Robo Rally  :lol:

And for the peeps who want to know what size these blighters are, they are on my basic 20mm washers. This is what they look compared to a Euro:

And this compared to a (largish) 20mm model:

Enjoy.

Johan
Who is Gunbird? Johan van Ooij, Dutch, Mercenary Gamer, no longer mobile and happy to live life while it lasts >> http://20mmandthensome.blogspot.com/

Offline Poliorketes

• King of the Congo
  • Scatterbrained Genius
  • Never look back
Number 5 and Number 12
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2007, 11:33:19 AM »
cute! I love them!
If you come for the king, you better not miss (Omar)