Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 09:23:09 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690842
  • Total Topics: 118356
  • Online Today: 861
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Empress Yanks  (Read 5171 times)

Offline Lowtardog

• Galactic Brain
Empress Yanks
« on: October 17, 2010, 06:25:33 PM »
My lads finally painted (awaitng their Brethren for a full platoon- it would be rude not to and enjoyed paintnig them) Destined for Akulas battlefield, Afghanistan and the odd reaction force for zombies on the way :D

Offline abhorsen950

• Mastermind
Re: Empress Yanks
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2010, 06:27:21 PM »
Very nice, I like them a lot, got a lot of character, very nice work on some nice mini's I like the terrain behind them aswell  :D

Cheers
Steve

Offline AKULA

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
    • Little Wars
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2010, 06:41:16 PM »
as mentioned on frothers, they look great - am very jealous, particularly as all of my time so far is being spent on the terrain (which I guess i'd better post up at some point on LAF).

:D

Offline matakishi

• The Teacher
  • Galactic Brain
  • Cousin of Hammers
    • Matakishi's Tea House
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2010, 06:52:30 PM »
A tricky proposition this new camo, you've done a cracking job on it too, full marks that man  :-*

Offline abrelax

• Librarian
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2010, 06:53:29 PM »
Looking good!

I´m also curious about the cargo containers behind them. I need som of these! Where are they from?

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2010, 08:19:51 PM »
Blinking brilliant, Karl  :)

Offline commissarmoody

• Galactic Brain
    • Moodys Adventures
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2010, 08:33:21 PM »
They look great!
"Peace" is that brief, glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading.

- Anonymous

Offline revford

• Mastermind
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2010, 08:44:32 PM »
That camo has come out lovely, they look great.
Gav Ford
revford@gmail.com

Offline Lowtardog

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2010, 09:49:04 PM »
Cheers lads :D

The containers are from Minimi (as shown on Mtakishis journey to Colours) I picked them u last year and only just got around to painting them, I think they are £5.50 ea, they are resin and would make a nice implement to rap knuckles with should anyone pick up figures without permission ;)

http://www.minimi.co.uk/product.aspx?product=terrain.inc &title=Terrain

Not on their site but drop them an e-mail

@Akula, yes I had to ost post post as it is the first thing I have taken hotos of for ages :)

Offline dodge

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2010, 09:53:55 PM »
Lovely stuff

that camo is cracking

well done

dodge

Offline Lowtardog

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2010, 01:25:15 AM »
Akulas terrain, a wonder to behold :-*

http://akulasbattlefield.blogspot.com/

Offline carlos marighela

• Elder God
  • Flamenguista até morrer.
« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2010, 01:41:15 AM »
Very nice work on the camo. Bit bloody irritating that it's on its way out. MultiCam is a bugger to paint, I've just finished my first Empress SF figure and I'm still not entirely happy.
Em dezembro de '81
Botou os ingleses na roda
3 a 0 no Liverpool
Ficou marcado na história
E no Rio não tem outro igual
Só o Flamengo é campeão mundial
E agora seu povo
Pede o mundo de novo

Offline SBRPearce

• Mad Scientist
    • "The Cellar-Dweller" blog
« Reply #12 on: October 19, 2010, 01:44:08 PM »
Has anyone posted a good tutorial for the digital camo in 28mm?
from Mr.Vampire: "It's the paintjob that makes the miniature fight harder not the size."

Offline carlos marighela

• Elder God
  • Flamenguista até morrer.
« Reply #13 on: October 19, 2010, 02:05:50 PM »
Dunno but for 28mm figures any pixels will appear as dots. I found dotting on green and grey-black patterns over a base of Vellejo Green Brown worked pretty well for my USMC Force Recon. Pixelated camouflage is just another fashion trend anyway and one that seems to be going out of fashion. MultiCam, whish has been adopted by the British Army, is used by a lot of the SF fraternity and will in all liklihood replace the current US Army pattern isn't a pixelated scheme. It relies on blending colour swatches, a total of seven in the current version. Alas when you are painting minis, it's harder to get right.

Offline Lowtardog

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #14 on: October 19, 2010, 03:57:00 PM »
Dunno but for 28mm figures any pixels will appear as dots. I found dotting on green and grey-black patterns over a base of Vellejo Green Brown worked pretty well for my USMC Force Recon. Pixelated camouflage is just another fashion trend anyway and one that seems to be going out of fashion. MultiCam, whish has been adopted by the British Army, is used by a lot of the SF fraternity and will in all liklihood replace the current US Army pattern isn't a pixelated scheme. It relies on blending colour swatches, a total of seven in the current version. Alas when you are painting minis, it's harder to get right.

Yup I avoided the new camo as scaling it to look right on a 28mm figure muist be a nightmare.

I have posted here a response from Frothers I gave on jsut such a question. Teh tutorial link is from one of the owners of Empress who is a very helpful chap
Posted: Sun Oct 17, 2010 8:37 pm   Post subject:     

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Its a bastardised version of this link (provided by Empress Miniatures chap)

http://zyclyon.blogspot.com/search/label/Alpine%20Miniatures%20-%203rd%20Stryker%20Brigade%20Combat%20Team%202nd%20Infantry%20Division

I have very limited skill in painting and detail is usually out (normally hidden with an oil wash for shadow and depth  )

So what I did was use the colours; a base coat of black grey, then a heavy dry brush of Khaki grey and finally a light dry bush of medium grey.

That way it picked out the folds in the uniforms in a lighter colour. I then used deck tan as it describes in the blog, not easy as you can either over do it or in some cases under do it.

I left the body armour without any deck tan which isnt right but made it look different.

It was strange how the colours came out with the overlay as it is a little like the Falschirmjaeger smock colour but honestly not green or blue was used at all only US field drab for the odd weapon etc.

For the next batch I might use more medium grey as Akula says to give a more faded look.