Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 12:58:22 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Not to be mean, but can we block out posts?  (Read 14684 times)

Offline LeadAsbestos

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • When the Hurlyburly's Done...
Not to be mean, but can we block out posts?
« on: October 22, 2010, 11:50:39 PM »
I don't want to be mean, but every time I click on posts by member Photographer, my computer throws a fit, it takes 20x the normal time for posts to load, and the screen usually freezes up, requiring a re-start! :-[

I've been trying to just not click on posts he started, but every so often, my enthusiasm outweighs my watchfulness. ::)

Block, or just pay more attention? Just what the hell is he doing that no one else does in his posts anyway?

Thanks!

Offline YPU

• Galactic Brain
  • In glorious 3D!
Re: Not to be mean, but can we block out posts?
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2010, 11:59:41 PM »
I don't want to be mean, but every time I click on posts by member Photographer, my computer throws a fit, it takes 20x the normal time for posts to load, and the screen usually freezes up, requiring a re-start! :-[

I've been trying to just not click on posts he started, but every so often, my enthusiasm outweighs my watchfulness. ::)

Block, or just pay more attention? Just what the hell is he doing that no one else does in his posts anyway?

Thanks!
Posting pictures the size of Manhattan at a number equal to its inhabitants. They are very good pictures tough, one of the most fitting names on here. (chairface might take that title, but I have never seen his face)
3d designer, sculptor and printer, at your service!

3d files! (here)

Offline Will Bailie

• Mastermind
    • Will's toy soldier blog
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2010, 12:06:40 AM »
(chairface might take that title, but I have never seen his face)

You mean that Chairface doesn't really look like Canada's first prime minister??

Offline OSHIROmodels

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Custom terrain a speciality.
    • Oshiro modelterrain
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2010, 12:29:09 AM »
I must admit that I stay away from his posts as the couple I saw took ages to load up, as you say and were not particularly good compositions and out of focus, not to mention the mediocre painting.

I certainly don't mind people posting the stuff they have done as this is one of the best forums for this sort of thing but most of the photos in the post seem pointless.

I don't think blocking is the thing, just maybe a couple of photos expressing the subject matter and then a link to a hosting site that would allow the people interested to have a further look.

cheers

James
cheers

James

https://www.oshiromodels.co.uk/

Twitter account -     @OSHIROmodels
Instagram account - oshiromodels

http://redplanetminiatures.blogspot.co.uk/
http://jimbibblyblog.blogspot.com/

Offline Sinewgrab

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • All to all, by my mustard!
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2010, 01:25:12 AM »
I have the same issue, but with a different poster. While his painting is exquisite, Michi's posts got me banned from Lead Adventure at my old job due to the risque subject matter - and because they weren't labeled 'nekkid wimmen' I had clicked before I realized what I had on the screen.

"There is no known cure for the wargaming virus, only treatments with ever increasing doses of metal."

Offline Christian

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • ... standing on the shoulders of giants.
    • INCLTVS REX - Late Antique wargames blog
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2010, 02:47:13 AM »
Is it possible to have this conversation without singling out particular members?

Offline Mancha

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Hinterland Miniatures
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2010, 05:12:53 AM »
Is it possible to have this conversation without singling out particular members?

I agree.

Offline Grimm

• Two-time LPL Champion (Season 2 and 3) Supporting Adventurer
  • The Colonial Tales Winner
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • Grimms-Hangar on Facebook
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2010, 08:55:06 AM »
I have the same problems with a few members but I think it is my old PC that is the problem not the LAF members.
Maby you have an old PC too  ;)

cheers Grimm
ttps://www.facebook.com/pages/Grimms-Hangar/196455560521708

Offline Wirelizard

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Needs More Zeppelin!
    • The Warbard
« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2010, 09:44:40 AM »
Do we really want LAF turning into TMP, with stifles, counter-stifles, blocks, reporting, and all that shlocky drama?

No?

Didn't think so.

For those of you with computers that choke on lots of large photographs, see about adding more RAM to the machine, it's not that expensive and makes a surprisingly large difference. I have an old desktop with a very elderly processor, but it's got 2GB of RAM and even hugely photo-and-Youtube heavy posts don't slow things down noticably.

Online Silent Invader

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2010, 10:13:36 AM »
I assume that Michi's posts contain 'nekkid wimmin' and am disappointed when they don't!   ;D

EDIT for a serious, generalised contribution....

I always thought that the maximum 800x800 pixel size would eliminate really huge data content but it doesn't as images do get through that exceed 300kb.  With multiple images this could be a real problem for those NOT on broadband, as it will really eat into bandwidth and also slow down loading of the page.  Does the forum software include a facility to, say, restrict images over say 100kb file size to a link only so that the image download becomes a deliberate choice?
« Last Edit: October 23, 2010, 10:31:55 AM by Silent Invader »
My LAF Gallery is HERE
Minis (foot & mounted) finished in 2024 = 0
(2023 = 151; 2022 = 204; 2021 = 123; 2020 = ???)

Offline LeadAsbestos

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • When the Hurlyburly's Done...
« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2010, 11:08:06 AM »
I agree.

Easy fellas! That is why I made it very clear that I'm not against the posters, or their subjects, just how they affect my dinosaur of a computer. I'm dying to see the Penitent man thread, but it will take my system down!

Not name-calling or finger pointing, just trying to solve a problem in an effective way.

Offline Tsune

• Scientist
« Reply #11 on: October 23, 2010, 11:09:38 AM »
In my game reports, I have postes a lot of pictures, too. But it is because I think the members like to see pictures of games, figures, etc. At least, I love to see them.

It is true that sometimes there are post with a lot of heavy pictures, some of them very similar, but I think it is ok because the spirit is share their hobby with the rest. After all, we can decide to enter or not in the themes.

A good practice perhaps could be to put in the title (lots of pictures) and it would be enough to advert it, without change nothing of the forum.

Edited to correct my bad English  >:(
« Last Edit: October 23, 2010, 11:11:25 AM by Tsune »

Offline Furt

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Barbarous...
    • "Adventures in Lead"
« Reply #12 on: October 23, 2010, 12:11:15 PM »
Do we really want LAF turning into TMP, with stifles, counter-stifles, blocks, reporting, and all that shlocky drama?

No?

Didn't think so.

Couldn't agree more - LAF is one of the most friendliest, welcoming forums ever - lets keep it that way.

I usually post a single pic with a link, as stated above. I figure anyone who's interested will follow a link to find more.
“A prisoner of war is a man who tries to kill you and fails, and then asks you not to kill him.”

http://adventuresinlead.blogspot.com/

Offline YPU

• Galactic Brain
  • In glorious 3D!
« Reply #13 on: October 23, 2010, 12:16:31 PM »
Many other forums have a "Spoiler" function, it basically puts a box around text/pictures that doesn't appear unless you press the open button. I know at least one forum where the image is not downloaded until then. This would be an ideal solution as those still receiving their internet trough pigeon post and tape computers could load the images one by one, or a few together if their are more in one spoiler.
I have of course no idea how easily this could be implemented in this forum structure, that would make my post actually useful.

Offline Plynkes

• The Royal Bastard
  • Elder God
  • I killed Mufasa!
    • http://misterplynkes.blogspot.com/
« Reply #14 on: October 23, 2010, 12:23:13 PM »
I'm dying to see the Penitent man thread, but it will take my system down!

You want to block him and at the same time want to look at his thread? Sorry, but you aren't making much sense there. You have three options:

1) Stop clicking on his posts.
2) Upgrade your computer.
3) Refuse to learn from your mistakes and continue being confounded as your computer repeatedly crashes.

In my opinion a blocking system is a very bad idea, and not a road we want to go down. I'm totally with Wirelizard on this. We pride ourselves on being civil and friendly here, and such systems elsewhere lead to no end of aggravation, causing more problems than they solve. I also feel they are totally unnecessary, as we have very little in the way of bad behaviour or trolls here. It will be a sad day when the LAF adopts one.

LAFers posting their pictures sensibly is a separate matter, and might warrant some discussion. Posting dozens of very similar (or occasionally almost identical) large-format pictures on a single page isn't really very sensible, but I'd hate us to lose our gallery feel simply because some posters' computers are too old to handle it. I want to see nice big pics, and lots of them. And I want to see them on the LAF, not have to go tramping off to somewhere else unless I really have to. Unlike some forums, we have the ability to post pictures on the LAF, it is silly not to use it. We just need to encourage posters not to go overboard, or at the very least to label their posts "pic heavy." Also you'll find you can reduce the amount of memory a picture takes up considerably with little or no visible difference in picture quality in most photo-editing software. Might be an idea to remind people of this once in a while.
With Cat-Like Tread
Upon our prey we steal...