Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 10:04:24 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690752
  • Total Topics: 118346
  • Online Today: 947
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Not to be mean, but can we block out posts?  (Read 14799 times)

Offline twrchtrwyth

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Don't join dangerous cults: practice safe sects.
    • Deeside Defenders
Re: Not to be mean, but can we block out posts?
« Reply #30 on: October 24, 2010, 05:41:41 PM »
Having just looked at a recent thread of a certain poster there were nearly twenty pictures on a page, all over 700kb in size (one over 900k). I think that's the cause of the problem. There really is no reason why they need to take up so much memory.

With about twenty seconds in a graphics package I got 705kb down to 67kb, and the photo looks no different to the human eye. Simple!  :)
What graphics package do you use?
He that trades Liberty for Security will soon find that he has neither.

Benjamin Franklin

Offline Plynkes

• The Royal Bastard
  • Elder God
  • I killed Mufasa!
    • http://misterplynkes.blogspot.com/
« Reply #31 on: October 24, 2010, 05:52:49 PM »
It's a package called Corel Photo Paint, which came bundled with a PC I bought about four PCs ago (!). I kept the disc and carried on using it, as I have got rather used to its ins and outs, though doubtless there are much better ones out there now (it dates back to about the year 2000).

Whenever you save an image there is a little slidey compression bar, so you can reduce the file size while saving, complete with a preview window that shows you if the image quality will decline. It is a pretty handy function. I imagine you can do something similar on most of the good modern ones too.
With Cat-Like Tread
Upon our prey we steal...

Offline Hauptgefreiter

• Mastermind
« Reply #32 on: October 24, 2010, 06:20:27 PM »
For all MS Office users, there's a tool called MS Office Picture Manager. A file compression can easily be done with that.
per aspera ad astra

Offline OSHIROmodels

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Custom terrain a speciality.
    • Oshiro modelterrain
« Reply #33 on: October 25, 2010, 07:50:16 AM »
There's an HP photo editor that's quite good 'HP Photo and Imaging Director'. Can't seem to get the damn thing open now though  lol

I used it for the LPL and it was very user friendly (me being the type that if I don't understand it straight away then I won't use it).

cheers

James
cheers

James

https://www.oshiromodels.co.uk/

Twitter account -     @OSHIROmodels
Instagram account - oshiromodels

http://redplanetminiatures.blogspot.co.uk/
http://jimbibblyblog.blogspot.com/

Offline Photographer

• Mad Scientist
    • Double 0 Sven
« Reply #34 on: November 16, 2010, 11:24:43 PM »
Points taken on board. As a consequence, I set up my own blog with stories and dialogue which I was trying to express by posting the series of photos on this fantastic site.

I am currently deleting most of the photos I have posted on this inspiring site. Don't want to take up storage space!

I know I am a mediocre painter but I never claimed to be in the same league as the people on this forum.

I love the fantastic positive can do spirit on this forum and will continue having fun with this hobby!

« Last Edit: January 30, 2011, 05:49:07 PM by Photographer »
Secret Agent KKBB Blog

http://double0sven.blogspot.com/

Offline Calimero

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #35 on: November 16, 2010, 11:43:43 PM »

@ Photographer, I can’t say that you’re the best painter around (nor am I for that matter lol ) but your treads do tell stories with their series of pictures and I find it very interesting. I hope you’ll post more of your work 8)
A CANADIAN local hobby store with a small selection of historical wargames miniatures (mainly from Warlords). They also have a great selection of paint and hobby accessories from Vallejo, Army painter, AK Interactive, Green Stuff World and more.; https://www.kingdomtitans.ca/us/

Offline Photographer

• Mad Scientist
    • Double 0 Sven
« Reply #36 on: November 16, 2010, 11:50:20 PM »
@ Photographer, I can’t say that you’re the best painter around (nor am I for that matter lol ) but your treads do tell stories with their series of pictures and I find it very interesting. I hope you’ll post more of your work 8)

Of course I'll still post! But in moderation!  The photos make sense on this blog with a plot and dialogue! And hopefully some witty dialogue.  

http://double0sven.blogspot.com/  

PS you can see the penitent man on my blog under American explorerer :)
« Last Edit: November 17, 2010, 12:03:31 AM by Photographer »

Offline Calimero

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #37 on: November 16, 2010, 11:51:39 PM »
There's an HP photo editor that's quite good 'HP Photo and Imaging Director'. Can't seem to get the damn thing open now though  lol

What the hell is the problem with that program? I had it on my computer and It worked just fine until one day it decided to ignore all the pictures that came from my camera… I also had to click a thousand time (well, maybe 999 times lol ) on the program’s icon before it start running. Anyhow, I loose my patience and simply removed the whole program from my computer and started using PhotoScape which I got for free on the Internet and it work just fine :)

Offline Col.Stone

• Mastermind
    • The compound
« Reply #38 on: November 16, 2010, 11:55:02 PM »
If you host your pics @ photobucket there's a resize function that has suggested formats for forums /emails etc, very helpful:)

especially if you're like me and thinks getting the pics out of the camera and online is really work enough  lol

Offline HerbyF

• Mastermind
  • Why fear nightmares when you can be one
« Reply #39 on: November 28, 2010, 12:37:30 AM »
I really do like seeing the pictures, but I do have a problem with so of the over sized ones. If I am veiwing at work the system here times out if the download takes to long and all I get is a blank box with a little X in the corner. I look forward to seeing picture on site as the filters block a lot of the other site links.
LHV 2015 +200 2016 +770 2017 +636 2018 +888 2019 +1015 2020 +656 2021 +174 2022 +220 2023 +312 2024 +104

Offline Commander Vyper

• Galactic Brain
  • Remember Reach.
« Reply #40 on: November 30, 2010, 01:35:11 PM »
@ photographer, just shrink the pics before you upload or use your host software to reduce them as they are a little big at times.

@ Michi no apologies needed on your wonderfully risque ladies, it's safe to say that forums generally aren't safe for work and besides if you're at work then you shouldn't be putting yourself at risk by logging on.

Generally: I suggest if people don't want to view member's posts they exercise their on regulation and don't click on them.

Keep this place as it's always been...an oasis of miniature bliss, in a sea of bitter custard!

;)

The Commander
Now water can flow....or water can crash...be water my friend.
Sifu Bruce Lee.

Offline Sangennaru

• Galactic Brain
  • The Lazy One
    • The Lazy Forger
« Reply #41 on: November 30, 2010, 03:57:14 PM »
I set up my own blog with stories and dialogue which I was trying to express by posting the series of photos on this fantastic site.

first of all, i'm totally ok with load of photos. my connection is allrite and i have not dinosaur machine (even if 8-years old it still works well).

secondly, i find that some of your photos are quite useless only because you keep the dialogs away, so i just scroll down.
why don't you use a comic creator tool (dunno the name, but there are lots of people using it!) and give more sense to the pics? of course, resizing and compriming them could help, but i would read your threads much happier! ^^

(and i love comics too! )

Offline Plynkes

• The Royal Bastard
  • Elder God
  • I killed Mufasa!
    • http://misterplynkes.blogspot.com/
« Reply #42 on: November 30, 2010, 04:15:18 PM »
That's a good idea. Comic Life would suit Photographer down to the ground.

Offline Malebolgia

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Lost in Cyberspace
    • Paintoholic
« Reply #43 on: November 30, 2010, 04:30:41 PM »
For people who use programs like Photoshop, there is a handy tool to save files for web-viewing. Here's a link that explains how it works:

http://www.elated.com/articles/the-save-for-web-feature/
“What use was time to those who'd soon achieve Digital Immortality?”

Online Earther

• Mastermind
  • Sat at my Mac, lusting after lead…
« Reply #44 on: November 30, 2010, 04:34:05 PM »
Top tutorial link there Malebolgia! Thanks.