Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 05:25:13 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690726
  • Total Topics: 118343
  • Online Today: 947
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Freikorps Stand-ins Advice  (Read 3532 times)

Offline Westfalia Chris

• Cardboard Warlord
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Brain
  • Elaborate! Elucidate! Evaluate!
Freikorps Stand-ins Advice
« on: August 21, 2007, 09:23:18 PM »
Hallo, Kameraden!

Now that my Bolsheviks are pretty much wrapped up, I´d like to get an opposing force to do some demo games, and have pretty much settled down on doing a German Freikorps in the Baltic area, for 1919-20 games - in addition, such figures could also be used for some Late WW1 games, so are better MRPT*´s than the more "limited" White Russians or Poles I had considered (other players in the general area are already doing those, so why not start a new one)...

So, I considered Brigade Games, of which I already painted some Germans, then browsed for other manufacturers and found the excellent-looking Great War Miniatures range. The price (found them at NorthStar, and since they accept Paypal, I think I´ll order with them) is about comparable to Brigade, and the style and look of the Great War Miniatures is amazing.

My main query, thus, is whether they´ll be compatible in general scale and appearance with Copplestone figures? Not necessarily in the same units, since I can do the proposed number (~30 infantry, one HMG, maybe an Armoured Car) from the GWM range without fear of repetition - I´ve still got a "German Mercenaries" pack from CC which I´d like to "recycle" for this project.

I´m really interested in using this line, especially since all figures seem to be unique poses, IE no doubles as in the Brigade line.

However, I really like the BG stuff as well, and know the Stormtroopers to be usable for my purpose... so they´d be a swell fall-back position, so to speak.

To sum up, please tell me if the GWM stuff is big enough to match CC Bolsheviks or if there´s a notable difference (say, 2-3mm in height) that would preclude their use, and if the general quality (casting, accuracy) matches the requested price. All help is greatly appreciated.

*MRPT: Multi-role pretty toys :mrgreen:

Offline Poliorketes

• King of the Congo
  • Scatterbrained Genius
  • Never look back
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2007, 09:38:36 PM »
If you use them for Freikorps, I recommend to buy the packs without backpacks.

You might have seen this on Sweetwater

By poliorketes at 2007-08-07

left to right
Brigade Games ANZAC
Great War Miniatures
Renegade Miniatures
Copplestone Castings
Pulp Miniatures US Marine
If you come for the king, you better not miss (Omar)

Offline Westfalia Chris

• Cardboard Warlord
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2007, 09:51:43 PM »
Quote from: "Poliorketes"
If you use them for Freikorps, I recommend to buy the packs without backpacks.

Exactly what I thought, "light kit" would be in order or "semi-irregular" troops like the Freikorps, with maybe an armoured train in attendance... don´t want them to look too "line troops"-ey.

You might have seen this on Sweetwater
(...)

left to right
Brigade Games ANZAC
Great War Miniatures
Renegade Miniatures
Copplestone Castings
Pulp Miniatures US Marine

Duh, of course I did :oops: and promptly forgot... :lipps: Yes, that looks pretty good.

Offline Poliorketes

• King of the Congo
  • Scatterbrained Genius
  • Never look back
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2007, 10:01:27 PM »
If you weren't the guy I know I wouldn't even think of recommending this - but what about building HEDI? OK, it was used in Berlin, but who cares?

Offline Grimm

• Two-time LPL Champion (Season 2 and 3) Supporting Adventurer
  • The Colonial Tales Winner
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • Grimms-Hangar on Facebook
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2007, 10:04:52 PM »
where do you get informatins abaut German Freikorps in the Baltic area ?

Books ........?

Grimm
ttps://www.facebook.com/pages/Grimms-Hangar/196455560521708

Offline Westfalia Chris

• Cardboard Warlord
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2007, 10:24:03 PM »
Quote from: "Poliorketes"
If you weren't the guy I know I wouldn't even think of recommending this - but what about building HEDI? OK, it was used in Berlin, but who cares?

Guess what? I´ve seriously considered scratchbuilding one in 1/56th and casting it up! Simple shape, not too big, just the rivets will be a pain! Or labour of love. :lol: :mrgreen: Considering that there were at least TWO, that would make sense! :D And I aim at a slightly "Pulpy" flair, so Hedi´s okay with me.

Quote from: "Grimm"
where do you get informatins abaut German Freikorps in the Baltic area ?

Books ........?

(...)

Assumably! :mrgreen: Seriously, I´ve got a rather basic article on the use of Armoured Trains in 1919-1920 in Germany and Eastern Europe (amazing how much combat the Essen-Münster railway line saw!), then of course some internet sources for basic info - a bit dubious, though, but if I find good books I´ll let you know.

Offline Lazarus Long

• Bookworm
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2007, 08:54:54 PM »
If your looking for information about German Freikorps and not able to read German: Osprey Elite 76 "The German Freikorps 1918-1923"

And if you're looking for some short but nice information about the Red Army of the Ruhr - the biggest innergerman Opponent of Freikorps - and able to understand German get your hands on the CD "Die Grenzgänger und Frank Baier: März 1920" A really big booklet with background information + pictures and some original songs from that time (some rearranged) including a track where an old miner is telling about the massacres the Freikorps did after the defeat of the Red Army of the Ruhr, which he seen as a youth and singing a he has written at that time.

Offline Grimm

• Two-time LPL Champion (Season 2 and 3) Supporting Adventurer
  • The Colonial Tales Winner
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • Grimms-Hangar on Facebook
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2007, 09:16:27 PM »
Must get the cd !!