Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2024, 01:48:06 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Question On Primer  (Read 3108 times)

Offline Whitewolf

• Librarian
Question On Primer
« on: August 25, 2007, 11:46:28 AM »
Hello Everyone,

I have a question for the collective brain trust: what brand of primer do you use to prep your figures? Also, do you use spray or paint on? I have been having unsatisfactory results with the spray variety of late. Any recommendations would be most appreciated.  :)

Offline revford

• Mastermind
Question On Primer
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2007, 12:02:41 PM »
I buy matt black spray paint from a car bodywork place over the road, it's cheap and does the job, the brand on the can is Hycote.

Also I've used Halfords and GW sprays in the past, both a bit more expensive but also good.
Gav Ford
revford@gmail.com

Offline Auton

• Mad Scientist
    • The Lead Mountain Blog
Question On Primer
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2007, 12:29:04 PM »
I prefer brush on and use Miniature Paint black but if I use spray then just a can of flat black (the last one came from Focus DIY)

Offline Malamute

• Prince of Darkness
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
    • Boot Hill Miniatures
Question On Primer
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2007, 12:39:01 PM »
I brush on and use white. (yes, I am old fashioned! :lol: ) I use GW standard white. I am not a fan of spray paint. I find it doesn't cover the figure evenly.
"These creatures do not die like the bee after the first sting, but go on age after age, feeding on the blood of the living"  - Abraham Van Helsing

Offline Hammers

• Amateur papiermachiéer
  • Elder God
  • Workbench and Pulp Moderator
Question On Primer
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2007, 01:20:07 PM »
I mostly use Humbrol enamel Falt Black but sometime, only sometimes, use GW spray on black primer becuase of the smell and the missus says no ( I live in a falt with limited outdoor space).

i have begun to experiment with burnt umbre nase coats since it is less...howshouldIputit...harsh. Black makes many colours certain colours greener or more sombre, which can be usefull but sometimes not. Burnt Umbre softens this effect and makes a better base for fleshtones, khakis, tans and other natural colours*. The problem is that I have not found a supplier of burnt umbre sprays or enamles that comes with those slightly grainy and tough characteristics** that I want.

*and yellows and reds for some reason
** tough in a way that is "bites" into the lead or plastic, grainy so that the next layer of paint sticks to in a satisfying way

Offline Rhoderic

• Mastermind
  • I disapprove!
Question On Primer
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2007, 01:35:12 PM »
After seeing it praised on TMP often enough, I've switched to brushing on Gesso (the stuff that's used to prime painting canvases). I've only used white Gesso so far, but I might use black (or grey) in some future projects.

Mainly I do this because my living arrangement makes spray-painting a hassle for me, and like Malamute I find spray-paint never covers fully so I have to fix it up with a brush anyway.
"When to keep awake against the camel's swaying or the junk's rocking, you start summoning up your memories one by one, your wolf will have become another wolf, your sister a different sister, your battle other battles, on your return from Euphemia, the city where memory is traded." - Italo Calvino

Offline SirFuzaba

• Assistant
Question On Primer
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2007, 02:16:39 PM »
I've been using brush-on for a while. Like others also have reported, spray gave me extremely un-satisfactory results. I usually use black color, but lately I have been testing gray and white. I quite like gray, something between the two , giving somewhat more neater results

Have a nice day,
Fuzaba

Offline Whitewolf

• Librarian
Question On Primer
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2007, 03:11:04 PM »
Gentlemen,

Thank you all for the suggestions! I will start testing them right away! Perhaps one day I will post a pic or two (which is REALLY intimidating considering the vast, eye-opening talent here).   :o

Regards to all,

Don