Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 08:53:35 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: My BEF, France 1940 project (LOTS OF PICS) Tank & General finished pics 21/11/10  (Read 22452 times)

Offline elysium64

• Potatoe Cup Holder 2010
  • Mastermind
As mentioned in workbench My main project envisioned for Winter and possibaly beyond, (not through slow painting, but due to expansion :D) is to produce a German and Allied Platoon for Crossfire (Really pissed of, earlier on I spilt coffee over my new rule book, think I've managed to unstick the pages , Edit: pages OK, at least know when I refer to the rules my copy makes it look like I have been playing for years lol>:().

Initially the German Platoon will contain:
BEF Miniatures Waffen SS squad (can I say that let me know will Edit), unfortunately in peadot camo smocks, been putting off painting camo smocks for years)
BEF Miniatures Heer Squad
Crusader Early German squad box
+ Platoon Leader

The Allied
BEF Miniatures British section
BEF Miniatures Highland section
Crusader French infantry squad
+ Platoon Leader
Also have first Tank a BEF Miniatures Matilda 11

BEF Miniatures: http://www.befminiatures.co.uk/
Crusader Miniatures: http://www.crusaderminiatures.com/list.php?cat=14&sub=37&page=1

To this I intend to attach mortars, HMG's, artillery and vehicles/Tanks.
I am also building a replica of the Airfix Foward Command Post

have already built all the accesories,

but re-doing the house in better matierials.
If I can stay focused would like to expand to Company level (3 Platoons), Cavalry, MORE TANKS

I will be adding rules for Commando Comics style Heroics, possibaly done as a card system, with hidden heroes as I don't want to go down realistic route, but more influenced by Commando Comics, Boys Own stories, Movies etc. Although there are many actual heroic stands put up by the allies on the retreat to Dunkirk which I would also like to replicate, need to provide for both.

Quick request: Any good Tutorials on Peadot Camo (apart from sticky at top of section, would like to compare styles and results before I attempt mine), and Tartan (always promised my self I would never paint Tartans, but it is only one kilt to paint).

The BEF Order arrived on Monday morning (Very quick), and I think the models are great, I know the cocked hats are a little to cartoony for some, but they are perfect for my concept.
I have spent the last two days cleaning and assembling the models, basecoating and basing.
Here is the complete lot of BEF models.

Now in more detail (where paints quoted they will be Foundry (http://wargamesfoundry.com/paint_and_brushes/paint_sets/), except for a few Games Workshop (GW))
The British, undercoated in 29A Moss shade, with a GW Devlan Mud Wash.

BEF infantry left, Highland Infantry Right, and the stumpy guy is the Tank Commander

The Germans undercoated in 32B Slate Grey with a GW Devlan Mud Wash

Waffen SS left, Heer right

Matilda Tank

I am awaiting some money from ebay, and will buy some of the foundry WW2 range (possibaly the complete starter deal) along with the Motorcyclist set from Dads Army range to complete my Foward Command Post. In the meantime thought I could paint the Matilda, as Tankie Overalls varied in colour and don't need to match. See following Post for the start of Step by Step.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2010, 01:55:35 AM by elysium64 »

Offline Will Bailie

• Mastermind
    • Will's toy soldier blog
Re: My BEF, France 1940 project (LOTS OF PICS)
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2010, 02:12:48 AM »
Looks like it is going to be a fascinating project.  It will be great to see how the ladies in white fit in, same with that rather large, hairy gent behind them!

Offline elysium64

• Mastermind
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2010, 02:33:32 AM »
So in this post I am applying the initial green prior to adding camoflage, weathering and washes.
First Heavy not so dry brush of 27A Storm Green shade

Drybrush of 27B Storm Green

Drybrush of 28C Phlegm Green shade

Drybrush of 28B Phlegm Green

Final very light drybush of a mix of about 1 part 27B Storm Green, 3-4 parts 29C Moss light
This Colour:

And thats it for today, will do camoflage, tracks and...... tomorrow

Tell me what you think am I posting to many pictures? do you just want to see the finished article? Are you interested? Do you even bloody care?

I am making a conscious effort to record this WIP as after my dismal efforts at WIP in contest, I just get too carried away modelling, creating and painting, I need to learn the art of the WIP!
« Last Edit: November 03, 2010, 02:47:48 AM by elysium64 »

Offline Poiter50

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2010, 04:02:32 AM »
And those "ladies" in white, what make are they?

I am assuming 28mm here? Looking very nice.
Cheers,
Poiter50

Offline elysium64

• Mastermind
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2010, 06:10:42 AM »
And those "ladies" in white, what make are they?

I am assuming 28mm here? Looking very nice.

Wyrd Miniatures, Collette Du Bois boxed set. yes 28mm.
Now please ignore the Ladies in white >:(

Offline Stu

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2010, 08:31:55 AM »
You put them in the picture  :D

Offline Westfalia Chris

• Cardboard Warlord
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Brain
  • Elaborate! Elucidate! Evaluate!
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2010, 08:57:48 AM »
Very nice! I like the process on the Matilda II.

Re. SS: As long as you don't paint visible/discernible collar patches on the figures (or if you do, blot them out in the photos), it's going to be okay.

Offline gamer Mac

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2010, 09:31:37 AM »
Really nice start to the project. Will watch with interest.
And the more pictures the better.
I have a tutorial for tartan somewhere I will try and dig it out.
The command post stuff looks great. Really brings back some old memories.
The BEF miniature look good as well, I will need to go and have a look at thier site.
One question, I don't recognise the box hanging off the back of the matilda?

As for the ladies, it is becoming your trade mark to have them in every picture lol

Offline elysium64

• Mastermind
« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2010, 10:30:33 AM »
The box on the back of the Matilda is a trench crossing skid tail, as fitted to the early A12's in France.

Offline Thunderchicken

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
  • Amusingly clumsy.
« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2010, 12:56:30 PM »
Great project and looking forward to seeing this develop.
Don't!

Offline Dr.Falkenhayn

• Mastermind
  • guckst du?
« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2010, 04:19:54 PM »
very nice,get yourself an Airbrush Kit ( with the Ebay Money,perhaps  ;)) you can save so much Time painting Vehicles...
Youre on the SoTR Forum aswell,Kamerad?

Offline elysium64

• Mastermind
« Reply #11 on: November 03, 2010, 04:47:22 PM »
very nice,get yourself an Airbrush
Youre on the SoTR Forum aswell,Kamerad?
Even though it takes longer, I actually enjoy the process of paiting by hand, one day I may try ot Airbrushes....
I am a member of SOTR forum, but not been active recently.

Offline Arlequín

• Galactic Brain
  • Culpame de la Bossa Nova...
« Reply #12 on: November 03, 2010, 05:07:00 PM »
Very nice! I like the process on the Matilda II.

Re. SS: As long as you don't paint visible/discernible collar patches on the figures (or if you do, blot them out in the photos), it's going to be okay.

When you get around to the Germans, remember to photoshop out any Swastikas on air recognition panels etc too.  ;)

They're looking good and I look forwards to any updates.  :)

Offline elysium64

• Mastermind
« Reply #13 on: November 04, 2010, 02:28:02 AM »
Thanks to some excellent diagrams provided by Jim Hale. I felt brave enough to tackle the camoflage, I had an idea how to do this quick and easily, but I had never tried it out, well If I am going to make an idiot of myself lets do it publicly.

Firstly I mixed about 2 parts GW Black to 3 parts 98A British Denizon Green shade, to this I added water, enough to make a fairly solid wash (can't be more specific as experimented until reached what I thought was the right consistency) using a size 0 brush I then picked up a little wash (dabbing off excess on pallette) and drew the two outside lines of the camaflage on the hull sides, I then worked the wash to fill in between the two lines, this I did for all the different views I had (both sides and front). I then filled in the gaps extrapolating their course from the areas of camoflage already done. when finished with one coat (about 10 minutes work) instant shaded camoflage. I am really pleased how it came out, specially considering I have further thin washes and weathering to apply.

I have finished tonight by re-Undercoating all the accesories, tracks, exhaust and engine details in GW Black, whilst doing this I experimented on a few areas using a stong back wash, judicouslyapplied, around engine compartment, gun mantlet, to add shadow ond oily effects, like what is done so far, will do more but feel I need to be further down the process before continuing.

I have more time to paint tomorrow, should hopefully finish tank Friday Afternoon.
Please offer your thoughts, criticism and advice. Thanks for looking.

Offline Arlequín

• Galactic Brain
  • Culpame de la Bossa Nova...
Re: My BEF, France 1940 project (LOTS OF PICS) update 04/11/10
« Reply #14 on: November 04, 2010, 06:25:46 AM »
It's looking good. The lighter shade of green should hopefully darken with the washes and should look spot on when you're done.  :)

Someone might be able to correct me on this, but as far as I'm aware, only 7 RTR had the Matilda II in France, they swapped some (6?) out to 4 RTR, who only had Matilda Is, but I'm guessing they retained 7 RTR markings.

4 RTR
« Last Edit: November 04, 2010, 06:45:15 AM by Jim Hale »