Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2024, 02:15:39 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690462
  • Total Topics: 118332
  • Online Today: 732
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: My BEF, France 1940 project (LOTS OF PICS) Tank & General finished pics 21/11/10  (Read 22531 times)

Offline elysium64

• Potatoe Cup Holder 2010
  • Mastermind
Re: My BEF, France 1940 project (LOTS OF PICS) update 04/11/10
« Reply #15 on: November 05, 2010, 03:31:39 AM »
As promised work done to tank.

But feel prior to going any further, I should say that this project is not all about historical accuracy, so please dont tell me such and such a vehicle didn't fight with them, or a colour is not right, I would like to keep everything period specific but I am more interested in it looking right in my eyes respecting those childhood memories.

Sorry for some of photo's, colours a bit distorted will take better ones tomorrow

The Tracks and Other Metal Work

Drybrush with 14 Tan shade through to light

Put a few steps together here as by now I am sure you are all getting the hang of it :D
Drybrush tracks with GW Bolt Gun Metal, whilst doing this I also painted the metal tools, and used a small brush to produce chipping marks in appropriate place. All the above were given a GW black wash.

The details were then painted as follows,
Further GW Bolt Gun Metal highlights on tools.
I used a substantiously thinned down GW Black to out line hatches, and select details.
Number plate on rear right mudgaurd painted black and highlighted with home mixed greys (unfortunately a large part missing due to bubble, I am putting it down to battle damage.
Exhaust lagging basecoated 11A Rawhide shade.
Shovel Handle~13 Spearshaft shade through to light.
Inside of Hatches and Cupola basecoated 27C Storm Green light.
Spotlight Glass base coated 33A Artic Grey shade.

When all paint thoroughly dry, everything apart from the Tracks given a worked wash of GW Devlan Mud.
(REPLACEMENT PHOTO'S ADDED).

Will finish the tank later today (after some sleep), and either later on or on Saturday will paint the Tank Comander as well as the first of my  Heroic Character figures, An elderly blustering General whose previous experience was in the Cavalry in WWI, and at the start of my campaign just can't quite seem to grasp the concept of commanding these metal monstrosities. Figure~ Artizan Designs PLP150 Tankie Bob http://www.artizandesigns.com/prod.php?prod=1707

All my commanders (and my units) will be based individually, and I will be providing 60mm round bases with the appropriate number of penny size cut outs (16-17mm, will look for some plastic tubing, try plumbers supplies first as probaly be cheapest) which I will magnatize to accept the figures. I have remaining figures to compose the vignette for this Character, but need to wait til I order the Foundry paints I need.

« Last Edit: November 05, 2010, 12:15:59 PM by elysium64 »

Offline matakishi

• The Teacher
  • Galactic Brain
  • Cousin of Hammers
    • Matakishi's Tea House
Re: My BEF, France 1940 project (LOTS OF PICS) update 05/11/10
« Reply #16 on: November 05, 2010, 12:14:17 PM »
So far so good :)

Offline Arlequín

• Galactic Brain
  • Culpame de la Bossa Nova...
« Reply #17 on: November 05, 2010, 04:56:48 PM »
It's looking really good. The step by step report really helps too! I'm no expert, but it looks how I'd expect it to look at least.  :)

Offline elysium64

• Mastermind
« Reply #18 on: November 07, 2010, 01:14:30 AM »
I have pretty much finished the Matilda Tank today, I am awaiting some decals then I can apply/paint the markings on, I am thinking of making this a command Tank, does anyone have pictures/ colourings of the flags used? (Thanks Jim lol).
Once this and the commander are done I will add mud and final weathering, (should make a little lighter), again sorry for the poor pictures, hopefully weather permitting will be able to find some better lighting soon.

Details painted:

Hatch/Interior~ high lighted from 27C Storm Green light, by progressively adding White followed by a thin wash of 27C

Exposed Exhaust~as per the tracks earlier on.

Asbestos Taped Exhaust~11 Rawhide from shade to light, with some mixing for between shades.

Wooden equipment handles as before.

The Red on the smoke launchers (and light above no.plate). 15A Bright Red shade, followed by GW Devlan mud wash painted in a line where cartridge ? joins tube, then highlighted up through 15 Bright Red

I am not happy with the headlight as surface to rough, will cut small piece of thin card to size and paint before inserting.

I have started painting the Tank Commander and General, will post these on Tuesday hopefully as I have lots of family stuff over the next two days (reason for the delays in posting this).

In other news. The Osprey book, Modelling the Matilda Tank arrived today, excellent book, gave me lots of ideas for some of these final details as well as comfirming an idea I had for mud. I have also ordered the Somua S35 tank from AGN models (Photo's and links, once it arrives) and I am still awaiting my Crusader Figures. More good news in selling my Quar I think I have found the figure I need to finish off my Generals stand. Should have raised enough funds for Foundry paint (and a few suitable miniatures) by end of the week. Will spend rest of this week. Working on Forward Command Post and a 2' x 2' board (the first of a few) to display and photo completed models on, and once another 3 are made, to start gaming on.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2010, 01:21:04 AM by elysium64 »

Offline Arlequín

• Galactic Brain
Re: My BEF, France 1940 project (LOTS OF PICS) update 07/11/10
« Reply #19 on: November 07, 2010, 09:18:33 AM »
You've got me this time, I don't know about pennants and stuff. lol Other than this.

Great looking model though and a very subtle camouflage scheme.  :D

I gather that some commanders preferred to do their commanding from Vickers MkVI lights, which is probably why so many became casualties. Their 'assigned' vehicle would still carry its HQ markings, but command pennants would likely by transferred to their chosen vehicle.

Offline elysium64

• Mastermind
« Reply #20 on: November 16, 2010, 11:11:41 PM »
I have not forgotten this project but not posted as have made little progress due to illnessand the fact that I am awaiting the Foundry paints and the decals, both should be here tomorrow so will hopefully post more pics then. I have finished the tank commander and added the pennant.
A quick question:
Should I post seperate threads for each completed model/group of models or perhaps just one oter thread to post pics of the finished models. Thinking this as it would save people having to go through what I hope will eventually be a fairly long thread. (I will maintain this thread if for no other reason that until I set up a blog/website it will provide me with the reference for duplicating colour schemes)?
« Last Edit: November 16, 2010, 11:25:16 PM by elysium64 »

Offline Westfalia Chris

• Cardboard Warlord
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Brain
  • Elaborate! Elucidate! Evaluate!
« Reply #21 on: November 16, 2010, 11:29:08 PM »
I'd certainly prefer having it all in one place. Also, you don't risk different people asking the same questions repeatedly in various threads.

Love the Mathilda, BTW.

Offline Arlequín

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #22 on: November 17, 2010, 09:23:45 AM »
I'm with Chris on this, one thread with everything in it, updated at your leisure. You can of course please yourself though.  :)

Offline Ray Rivers

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #23 on: November 17, 2010, 10:38:57 AM »
Yep...

Keep it in the same thread.

I find it very kewl to watch a project progress.

Offline elysium64

• Mastermind
« Reply #24 on: November 17, 2010, 01:32:58 PM »
OK one thread it is, no transfers in post today (theres always tomorrow), but the Foundry paints arrived so hopefully will post some more pictures tonight.

Offline Dr.Falkenhayn

• Mastermind
  • guckst du?
« Reply #25 on: November 17, 2010, 07:21:50 PM »
very cool Stuff again  :D I prefer the Foundry Paints aswell,the best Choice for historical correct Colours!

Offline elysium64

• Mastermind
Re: My BEF, France 1940 project (LOTS OF PICS) small update-some pics 18/11/10
« Reply #26 on: November 19, 2010, 04:08:14 AM »
Tank not quite finished but did take some pics:

Weathering

For the weathering I added basetex to build up mud, when dry, a wash of devlan mud on basetex, followed by progressive dry brushings of 11 Rawhide including a light dusting over rest of tank.

I just need to add some shadows/wet areas around the mud and final touches.
I have almost finished my first character figure will have photo's of him as well.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2010, 04:10:43 AM by elysium64 »

Offline carlos marighela

• Elder God
  • Flamenguista até morrer.
« Reply #27 on: November 19, 2010, 08:49:15 AM »
Nice.

One little suggestion. Most if not all BEF era AFVs and most softskins received a splodge of anti-gas paint on the hull, or in the case of softskins, typically the bonnet. This was usually a kidney shaped patch of the paint which was designed to react in the presence of certain gas types and act as the canary in the mineshaft. Colour was a yellowish green or a greenish yellow depending on your point of view. Hull front or trackguards seem to have bee typical locations with Matilda MkIIs.
Em dezembro de '81
Botou os ingleses na roda
3 a 0 no Liverpool
Ficou marcado na história
E no Rio não tem outro igual
Só o Flamengo é campeão mundial
E agora seu povo
Pede o mundo de novo

Offline Arlequín

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #28 on: November 19, 2010, 11:53:57 AM »
The illustrations I've seen show the anti-gas paint to be a square in France... as on the model. I thought they were white and went a sickly green in contact with gas. I know these were often daubed over with mud by the crew as they made an excellent aiming point for German gunners.

Offline carlos marighela

• Elder God
  • Flamenguista até morrer.
« Reply #29 on: November 19, 2010, 07:02:15 PM »
I can't see any anti-gas paint on that model, although in the final shots there's no frontal view, so maybe it's already there.

The white square, correctly depicted on the side was a recognition marking and yes many of them were obliterated as they made a convenient aiming mark