Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 05:24:12 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689705
  • Total Topics: 118288
  • Online Today: 733
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: (Highly) reflective film/sheet material?  (Read 5142 times)

Offline leonmallett

• Mastermind
    • Kitbash Games
(Highly) reflective film/sheet material?
« on: November 22, 2010, 08:00:32 PM »
I could have sworn I have seen some kind of then or flexible film/sheet material that has a highly reflective mirrored type of finish; maybe even self-adhesive (but I am probably hoping there!) - am I mistaken, or can someone point me to a suitable supplier?

My google fu has failed me so far.
Kitbash Games' web-page: http://www.kitbashgames.co.uk/

Offline Braz

• Mad Scientist
Re: (Highly) reflective film/sheet material?
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2010, 02:06:53 AM »
You may thinking of 'aluminum foil tape' used to seal air ducts. Found in DIY hardware stores in the ducting section. Very sticky and hard on xacto blades but great stuff. Not quite mirror but highly reflective.

Offline Schogun

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2010, 02:11:05 AM »
Do a search for mylar.

Offline Connectamabob

• Mastermind
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2010, 06:45:50 AM »
I'd second the recommendation for reflective mylar. The wiley party balloon is a fearsome beast, but its pelt has a variety of novel uses.
History viewed from the inside is always a dark, digestive mess, far different from the easily recognizable cow viewed from afar by historians.

Offline leonmallett

• Mastermind
    • Kitbash Games
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2010, 07:22:57 AM »
Do a search for mylar.

My seaches only yielded rolls of the stuff unfortunately.

Offline Major_Gilbear

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • God-Emperor of Dune
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2010, 02:12:53 PM »
My seaches only yielded rolls of the stuff unfortunately.
...Search for 'Silver Mylar Party Balloons' then?  ;)

What application is this for? If you are after a very reflective finish, there might be other/better suggestions.

Offline leonmallett

• Mastermind
    • Kitbash Games
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2010, 04:20:26 PM »
I am creating a sceenry piece. It will resemble a vertical silvery survace (double sided  - probably oval), rasied just above some rubble. I want it too look like a highly polished still 'pool' or similar; so basically a near chrome look to it.

I have stumbled across something called 'Baremetal Ultra Chrome'; I have ordered a sheet and maybe it will do the trick.

Offline Major_Gilbear

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • God-Emperor of Dune
« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2010, 04:48:14 PM »
Well, if that doesn't work, perhaps try a reflective metallic spray? I think Krylon do some. That way, you can just spray whatever you want to the finish/colour you need - either before or after application.

Offline leonmallett

• Mastermind
    • Kitbash Games
« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2010, 05:09:03 PM »
Well, if that doesn't work, perhaps try a reflective metallic spray? I think Krylon do some. That way, you can just spray whatever you want to the finish/colour you need - either before or after application.

Oooh. Very interesting - that could be a better options. Do you know of any UK stockists?

Offline Hauptgefreiter

• Mastermind
« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2010, 05:10:40 PM »
per aspera ad astra

Offline Sir Dryden

• The Michael Bolton Guy
  • Scientist
« Reply #10 on: November 24, 2010, 01:06:39 AM »
Mylar is also used (if I remember correctly) to make the bags in those "wine-in-a-box" thingies, you know, with the little spigot and the awful wine. If you live in North America I'm sure you can find some at your local wine shop, liquor store or whatever. Be warned, though: it's pretty expensive AND you'll end up with one hell of a hangover if you're in a hurry to build your piece...The mylar used for the bags is thicker than the one used for helium balloons, so that might be a problem. On the other hand, no Spongebob or Dora the Explorer printed on them, so I guess it comes down to what you have in mind.

Yours truly,

Sir Dryden 

Offline Major_Gilbear

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • God-Emperor of Dune
« Reply #11 on: November 24, 2010, 11:24:07 AM »
Oooh. Very interesting - that could be a better options. Do you know of any UK stockists?
Search for various online stockists I guess? (I prefer buying stuff online myself!).

I did find something virtually identical in B&Q though, made by Plasti-Kote. Worth a go perhaps?

@ Sir Dryden:
Well, balloons are cheaper, and you can get them plain if you want... See here for example.

Offline FramFramson

• Elder God
  • But maybe everything that dies, someday comes back
« Reply #12 on: November 27, 2010, 04:48:56 AM »
Say, same question as the OP, only slightly modified: What if you only need a very small amount of mirrored surface, like in the neighbour hood of a square centimetre? Is there a cheap recommended source of nice mirrored surface? Mylar balloons don't seem an option in my neck of the woods and I'd like to keep it cheap if I can.

I joined my gun with pirate swords, and sailed the seas of cyberspace.

Offline Braz

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #13 on: November 27, 2010, 12:19:15 PM »
Christmas/Gift wrapping paper. There are varieties of shiny reflective gift wrap that should do the trick: very shiny, quite thin, inexpensive, tough, comes in many colours including silver (the back of the coloured paper in usually silver/chrome also), widely available.

Second option and yummier...just go buy a bag of potato chips, enjoy, wash out the bag with detergent to de-grease, turn inside out. The inside of the bags (at least here in Canada) are highly silver/chrome like. Similarly you may try juice pouches or if you want something stiffer try a tetrapak (juicebox)... the inside is often shiny also.

Offline Major_Gilbear

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • God-Emperor of Dune
« Reply #14 on: November 28, 2010, 01:41:23 AM »
Actually, crisp/potato chip packets is a pretty good idea! I hadn't thought of that, but you can't beat it for cheapness!

Otherwise, these are only $1.50CA, and the same again to ship to you in Canada. $3.00CA is pretty good for the quantity that you get in a single balloon if you only need a little and can't find them anywhere else, and you can get them in any one of 19 different solid colours (including silver).