Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 02:56:55 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689609
  • Total Topics: 118286
  • Online Today: 662
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online
Users: 5
Guests: 540
Total: 545

Recent

Author Topic: Napoleonic/Peninsular question: Flank Companies vs. Centre Companies  (Read 14045 times)

Offline Christian

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • ... standing on the shoulders of giants.
    • INCLTVS REX - Late Antique wargames blog
Okay, so I've been doing some reading on this.

I am clear that Flank Companies had units such as grenadiers, riflemen etc. But what did Centre companies have?

Secondly, in a gaming/modelling sense, what does it matter? Is it really a matter of making sure everyone's fluffy shoulder pads are the same? I know that sounds facetious, but I really would like to know!

As a reference, I'm considering buying a box of Victrix Highlanders and have no idea which ones to get... again, is it just a matter of getting similar shoulder pads or is it an organisational matter? Functional?

Thanks in advance!

Offline Furt

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Barbarous...
    • "Adventures in Lead"
Re: Napoleonic/Peninsular question: Flank Companies vs. Centre Companies
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2010, 04:36:40 AM »
As you have already said, I thought the flanks were composed of the "better" grenadiers and light infantry troops.

That leaves the line infantry to the centre. That is, don't think; shoot, reload, shoot, reload, repeat etc.

I guess the difference is purely a distinction in their uniform and as you are a non button counter i would assume the differences could be ignored.

In saying that, having the right looking uniforms would probably enhance your game - Napoleonics is a dangerous, dangerous wargaming era I thinks!

The Highlanders would have had flank (grenadiers and light) and centre (line) companies as well, so again its just your choice, to button count or not.

I'm sure someone else has a lot more knowledge than me though.
“A prisoner of war is a man who tries to kill you and fails, and then asks you not to kill him.”

http://adventuresinlead.blogspot.com/

Offline Christian

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2010, 05:51:16 AM »
Napoleonics is a dangerous, dangerous wargaming era I thinks!

... especially for my poor bank account :/

Offline Johan

• Scientist
    • http://www.tsoa.be
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2010, 05:59:07 AM »
Flank companies ARE the grenadier and/or light company. Why? Because they used to be posted at the flanks of the line of the Battalion/regiment. For a Scottisch battalion e.g. there was one grenadier company and one light company + 8 centre companies. So 10 in total. For the Scottisch regiments there was indeed one distinct difference in the uniform, the flank companies had wings on their shoulder. All the other differences are just paintjobs (different colour of the plumes) Here is an example of the 42nd Black watch.

http://centjours.mont-saint-jean.com/uniformes_uniteBR.php?uniformes=22&nation=1

Offline Aaron

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2010, 12:55:51 PM »
Are you doing something skirmish-y like Sharp Practice or Song of Drums and Shakos? If so go with the flankers since they were more likely to get involved in those sorts of scrapes. Grenadiers get white wings and plumes, lights get green and center companies get no wings but white over red plumes. Aside from that they all look pretty much the same (same guns and gear, etc.)

If you want to have Scots but avoid painting the plaid you could alwayd grab a box of Peninsular flank company and the Brit light Battalion metal head pack and do the 71st Highland Light Infantry. One of them kept a journal which is a great read: http://www.archive.org/search.php?query=a%20soldier%20of%20the%2071st .

Offline Christian

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2010, 09:43:39 PM »
Thanks for the help everyone. When it comes time for the Highlanders I will most likely grab a flank company box then :D I'm making a little bit of progress on this and will post up something soon!

Offline Colonel Tubby

• Mastermind
« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2010, 07:16:17 PM »
I find it a bit of a con that to build a full unit from Victrix you need 2 boxes - one centre, one flank!

With the Perry's (well their French at least as I don't have any of their British Line infantry) you have everything for a unit in one box!

Or perhaps I'm just cheap?

Offline Christian

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2010, 11:43:32 PM »
I think that's a fair comment.

The Perry British Infantry have options for both.

But they don't make Highlanders (yet... not sure if they ever will).