Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 20, 2024, 05:16:28 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689762
  • Total Topics: 118294
  • Online Today: 786
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: The Terror from the Deep (or, shameless appropriation of someone else's idea)  (Read 17287 times)

Offline widgren

• Scientist
really cool! i look forward to seeing the glasswork:)

Online Westfalia Chris

• Cardboard Warlord
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Brain
  • Elaborate! Elucidate! Evaluate!
So, painting is basically finished (although I may add some shading or weathering at spots if I find it misses some), and three pics (starboard, port and ventral) until I get the base done and can do some proper photos from all angles.

As for figures to go with it, I still cannot quite decide on which stylistic road to follow. I'm currently leaning to mixing "Warlords of Atlantis" with "Atlantis, Continent of the Lost" and some "Stargate" elements, which is supposed having a bunch of captured slave soldiers (shipwrecked sailors, using a variety of pirate minis) and a handful of pseudogreek Hoplite-ish figures with deathray crystal lances (and maybe a larger deathray crystal cannon on a four-wheeled carriage). No proper idea for divers, though, although I am considering getting some more Greeks with Corinthian Helmets, modify the helmets with putty, and paint the bodies with some scale (as in "fish scales) effect to resemble a boiler suit.

Comments and opinions very welcome. This project opportunity has me intrigued, but I'd like to have a proper concept before diving deeper into it.

Offline manic _miner

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Four A miniatures
 Wow,Chris this is a great piece.You should have seen about getting it made in resin.I am sure Ian at Fenris could have helped with it.

Online Westfalia Chris

• Cardboard Warlord
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Brain
Wow,Chris this is a great piece.You should have seen about getting it made in resin.I am sure Ian at Fenris could have helped with it.

I certainly wouldn't mind doing a second, better one to be used as a master, but I positively do not have the time and resources to get this done and distribute it properly. That said, if anybody would be interested in making/distributing it, I'd be happy to talk about it.

Offline Malamute

• Prince of Darkness
  • Elder God
    • Boot Hill Miniatures
Great stuff Chris.  :-*

Looking forward to seeing the crew in due course.
"These creatures do not die like the bee after the first sting, but go on age after age, feeding on the blood of the living"  - Abraham Van Helsing

Offline kenohhkc

• Scientist
  • I Can't Help Myself
Very nice. And a heck of a lot cheaper than Fitchenfoo's submersible.

Here it is if you want to see. Check out his patina technique. Awesome. He just finished it.

http://fichtenfoo.net/blog/completed-%c2%bb-the-fantastical-fish-shaped-submersible/

Offline Admiral Benbow

• The Queen's Own Gizmologist
  • Scatterbrained Genius
  • "Creativity is a drug I cannot live without."
    • The Benbow Workshop
Beautiful creation, Chris!
 :-*

Offline Ray Rivers

• Galactic Brain
Looks like a movie prop!

Terrific work...  :-*

Offline Andym

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
Nice finish Chris!

I could only think of one other reply.....

Bring on BLAM 2011!! ;)

P.s it was either this or a giant can opener!! :D

Offline Hammers

• Amateur papiermachiéer
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Workbench and Pulp Moderator
I am thinking we should have a special 'Project Gallery' in Workbench for projects like these... I always meant 'How to..." to be very technique oriented but we now have quite a few glam projects combining inspired ideas with stellar execution. What do you people think? Am I overdoing things here?

Online Westfalia Chris

• Cardboard Warlord
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Brain
I am thinking we should have a special 'Project Gallery' in Workbench for projects like these... I always meant 'How to..." to be very technique oriented but we now have quite a few glam projects combining inspired ideas with stellar execution. What do you people think? Am I overdoing things here?

I'm not 100% sure I get your gist - do you mean those occasions when several people work more or less independently on related stuff, or actual cooperative projects like the wonderful Sudan table by the Kielians, or just "pretty things projects", which may be unrelated?

Generally, having a section for really good examples might be an interesting approach and certainly worth a try, although I'm afraid it might create an "us and them" separation, and to my mind, we had some bad run-ins (re: LPL) with that. Not that I would want to miss the opportunity to collect great projects somewhere, that is.

@AndyM: You know that means war, you deep-fried Mars bar of ingenuity, you! lol Now where were those design sketches for a sperm whale ramship... or a brass Narwhal with a spar torpedo?!?
« Last Edit: December 14, 2010, 10:31:55 AM by Westfalia Chris »

Offline Malamute

• Prince of Darkness
  • Elder God
    • Boot Hill Miniatures

@AndyM: You know that means war, you deep-fried Mars bar of ingenuity, you! lol Now where were those design sketches for a sperm whale ramship... or a brass Narwhal with a spar torpedo?!?

BLAM 2011 will be a perfect time to see the underwater clash of the Titans! :)

Online Westfalia Chris

• Cardboard Warlord
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Brain
BLAM 2011 will be a perfect time to see the underwater clash of the Titans! :)

Provided I'm still in the UK then (or can make the trip over), it's a deal!

Offline Andym

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
What about just one thread to combine them. What I'm thinking of is for example if anybody else is coming to BLAM2011 we could have a participation game. Make and bring your own sub/under water vehicle. The thread could be peoples progress for their game entry.

I would  happly help (or do it myself if no one else wants to!) make up terrain for an underwater game, if someone else did the rules?

Online Westfalia Chris

• Cardboard Warlord
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Brain
What about just one thread to combine them. What I'm thinking of is for example if anybody else is coming to BLAM2011 we could have a participation game. Make and bring your own sub/under water vehicle. The thread could be peoples progress for their game entry.

I would  happly help (or do it myself if no one else wants to!) make up terrain for an underwater game, if someone else did the rules?

I certainly would not mind writing up a set of rules to use with it - that way, I can contribute even if I cannot make it to BLAM. Maybe we should start a "preliminary planning" thread, or, if you want to keep it secret for surprise's sake, we could set up a mailing list for those interested in contributing. Or we could commit to it and start a BLAM "Battle for Templemere"* project thread, with links to the various modelling threads. Having it all in one thread is obviously more compact, but the actual thread will be huge. Not that that must be a bad thing.

Anyway, defining some core parameters (what level of game, what elements, and stuff) certainly won't hurt doing early.

*Title obviously provisional!
« Last Edit: December 14, 2010, 11:44:48 AM by Westfalia Chris »