Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 02:35:23 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686490
  • Total Topics: 118102
  • Online Today: 857
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Clash of the Aquanauts - an early stage project thread for BLAM 2011  (Read 89776 times)

Offline Andym

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
Re: Clash of the Aquanauts - an early stage project thread for BLAM 2011
« Reply #30 on: December 15, 2010, 01:29:35 PM »
Think it'd have to be 6x4 as I only have a wee flat to build it in. :(

Offline Westfalia Chris

• Cardboard Warlord
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Brain
  • Elaborate! Elucidate! Evaluate!
« Reply #31 on: December 15, 2010, 01:41:33 PM »
I think it looks perfect.

6ftx4ft or 10ftx6ft?

I agree with Andy, 6x4 is probably more practical, and if we put the focus on the "infantry" (for lack of a better term) and not so much on the vehicles (although those will be zooming about quite a bit - I think I need to go to Hull's seaquarium again soon for some inspiration!), the space should be enough.

Also, if we use the idea of moving terrain (e.g. fish swarms), it should be full enough while not being too cluttered.

One thing that came to me (and that may be an unnecessary German craving for standardisation): Should we agree on types of bases to be used, both on figures and terrain, so that it looks more unified? Also, for the terrain pieces, maybe we could also define a "standard" paint to use for the bases and the boards so that they blend in properly.

I would love to do that wrecked ship, if no-one wants dibs on that. I watched the Disney "Leagues" on Sunday and that sinking of the saltpeter runner off Rorapandi caught my imagination... I would like to do it on several smaller pieces, i.e. a bow piece, a stern piece, and one paddlewheel, all sticking up from the seabed, so we could arrange it a bit more flexibly, if necessary. And it may be easier to transport.

Offline Andym

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #32 on: December 15, 2010, 02:47:37 PM »
I wouldn't bother too much about the bases. I personally would love to see the variations that people can make. Most people will probably go for sand coloured anywho.

Not sure about the movable terrain. I can understand encounters like in .45 adventures , but how do you model a school fish? Encounter cards could be left in place and turned when a unit approaches. You could have mines, sharks, underwater volcanos, etc.....

Offline Chairface

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #33 on: December 15, 2010, 06:43:18 PM »
So many cool aquatic models

Check out the fishman showcase from frothers

http://www.frothersunite.com/files/rob/Fmsc/Fmsc1.htm

I think that I'm in love with these Shark calvary figs from Emperor's choice. I wonder if you could get them without the riders? A school of 10 of these puppies would look amazing.

Ok, I promise, no more.....

« Last Edit: December 15, 2010, 06:50:57 PM by Chairface »

Offline Westfalia Chris

• Cardboard Warlord
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #34 on: December 15, 2010, 06:58:18 PM »
I wouldn't bother too much about the bases. I personally would love to see the variations that people can make. Most people will probably go for sand coloured anywho.

I mainly meant slottabase vs. flat steel washer/coin. Personally, I would prefer the latter for this venture, but if you already have stuff based otherwise, we can follow that. Just so that they don't look too eclectic a mix.

Not sure about the movable terrain. I can understand encounters like in .45 adventures , but how do you model a school fish? Encounter cards could be left in place and turned when a unit approaches. You could have mines, sharks, underwater volcanos, etc.....

Was mainly an idea. I thought of creating a template in photoshop, then printing or photocopying it on clear acetate, and stick that to a base so that it is translucent, but visible. Don't know how it would turn out, would have to do a prototype.

I have just seen the Megaminis fish ranges, which look rather decent, and I may just order a couple of those for encounter markers. I agree, though, that until it happens, it should best be a marker (i.e. a washer with sand on top and the item below) or a card. I'm currently designing some cards as mock-ups and will upload some pics ASAP.

Chairface, that shark cavalry (pescalry?) is absolutely outrageous.  :o lol :-*

Offline gamer Mac

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #35 on: December 16, 2010, 06:20:05 PM »
Blooming heck :o :o :o
I go away on night shift for a few nights and all this happens :o
I thought this was my idea :'(

Offline Admiral Benbow

• The Queen's Own Gizmologist
  • Scatterbrained Genius
  • "Creativity is a drug I cannot live without."
    • The Benbow Workshop
« Reply #36 on: December 16, 2010, 09:52:33 PM »
Folks, this is an amazing project! I'll follow it closely, as I don't have the time actually to build something like this - although I really would like to ...  ;D

Offline Doomsdave

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #37 on: December 17, 2010, 03:17:42 PM »
One potentially cheap option for basic atlantean style troops is the King Shark model from Heroclix.  You can et these for $1 on ebay.  Also miniature market carries them for $1.  From the justice league set.

This is my boomstick!

Offline Red Orc

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Baffled but happy
    • My new VSF blog:
« Reply #39 on: December 18, 2010, 09:23:26 PM »
What's the current thinking on troop types and organisation? Those of us who take months to do anything (if they do it at all) need guidance. Do units and troop types have 'templates' to which we adhere, or is each unit individual, with its own special combo of rules?

A squad of infantry as a concept is fine, I'm sure I can get ten guys together, but will my Crocodilians (read, spare Lizard Men) with their spikey clubs be a match for Captain Nemo's Galvanic Bombardiers? Or do I at the very least need to give my guys crossbows? Or for example would hypothetical armour boosts (tough lizardy skin) and initiative bonuses (they're in their element so to speak, maybe they move faster than the humans in suits) be enough to offset ranged-weapon advantage?

Can my Crocodilians use an Attack Squid instead of a small craft? Or do I need to sort out some squid-, shark- or dolphin-riding lizard cavalry? Or build a Kraken-class underwater vehicle? Or...

So, what I'm getting at here I think is, how's it going to work, do we think (I'm particularly looking at you, Chris... )?

Offline Westfalia Chris

• Cardboard Warlord
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #40 on: December 18, 2010, 09:56:16 PM »
If we go for the "free-for-all", "all comers", approach, then obviously the rules should cater for that. My current concept (which I hope to upload sometime before christmas, once I tidy it up a bit) just has a couple of archetypes, but I think we could also have some flexibility in ability if we keep it within a normal distribution range, i.e. the most likely ones being relatively close to each other.

As for ranged vs. melee, since the action would primarily be underwater, all ranged combat (harpoons et all) is likely to be short-range (I'm thinking 12-18" max). Given that the "primitive" archetypes would likely be more adapted to the environment, they could compensate for that by being more mobile.

I'd say that the use of "craft" as a term does not exclude living creatures, and large things should certainly be treated as equal. I mean, we all remember the fight against the squid in the 1954 "20,000 Leagues" movie.

What I'm trying to say is don't worry too much. My current focus, which is still quite sketchy as the rest of the project, is on short-range combat with harpoons and knives. That should allow for all kind of types to be usable.

Offline Red Orc

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Baffled but happy
    • My new VSF blog:
« Reply #41 on: December 18, 2010, 10:03:27 PM »
That sounds cool, and do-able.

My current idea is that I'll try to get ten Crocodilians, armed with crossbows and hand weapons; possibly a single hero-type with some kind of weird-technology weapon, and some kind of toy squid. In principle, does that sound like a viable force? Not so much in terms of 'is it viable rules wise', more in terms of, in your mind's eye, is that the scale of force you're thinking of?

Offline Westfalia Chris

• Cardboard Warlord
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #42 on: December 18, 2010, 11:50:19 PM »
It's certainly the scale *I* had in mind, although since this is pretty much gamer Mac's, AndyM's and Oldskoolrebel's baby, I'd leave it to them to decide. Don't want to go blitzkrieg all over their ideas (I'm afraid I may have gone too far already).

I have to say, though, that Crocodilians are not exactly what I had in mind, humanoid amphibians being the furthest "non-homo sapiens" I envisaged. But on the other hand, the more the merrier, and if the others are happy with it, why not.

Remember though, that the current concept for the game table is supposed to be under water. So while I wouldn't mind treating crossbows as short-range harpoons rules-wise, it might look a bit strange unless it is made of whalebone or something similar, with shark sinews... suspension of disbelief, and all that.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2010, 11:52:59 PM by Westfalia Chris »

Offline Red Orc

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Baffled but happy
    • My new VSF blog:
« Reply #43 on: December 19, 2010, 01:43:37 AM »
It's OK, it's all good. I was musing out loud as an exploration of principle, because I happen to have some spare lizardmen. It was more to get an idea of how forces could be organised (and balanced against each other) than a specific proposal that I should build them as a force for BLAM. I'll likely end up using them anyway in my own gaming (the lizard men anyway, maybe not the squid) if I ever build them up; as that's the case, I thought, hmmm, why not, kill two fish with one spear as it were.

Offline MTD

• Schoolboy
« Reply #44 on: December 19, 2010, 07:30:19 PM »
For those wanting to do tentacles:  http://www.modularhose.com/  I think something similar might have already been posted, but I am unsure if the mother ship source has been pointed out.  Of interest might be the 1/4 inch segments.