Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 12:51:16 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690582
  • Total Topics: 118338
  • Online Today: 728
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Started reading: The Lies of Locke Lamora  (Read 1899 times)

Offline Rhoderic

• Mastermind
  • I disapprove!
Started reading: The Lies of Locke Lamora
« on: September 06, 2007, 11:16:53 PM »
Having heard a lot of praise about this book from numerous sources, I decided to start reading it the other day. The fact that it's more or less a swashbuckling story was an added motivator. So far I'm only some 120 pages in, but my preliminary judgment is that the praise is well-founded. The author weaves a good yarn, the world kind of clings to you, and the language feels quite witty.

It's a fantasy story, but I hope this won't convince my fellow (semi)historical swashbuckling gamers from dismissing it. It's a fairly low-fantasy world, though there are some things to remind the reader that it's not merely renaissance Europe transplanted to a different geography; mainly the existence of, not magic exactly, but some pretty wild alchemy. The book is set in a city that's akin to 17th century Venice - in the same way that a Belgian Blue is akin to a regular cow.

There are many aspects to swashbuckling. The Three Musketeers deals with court intrigue, and Treasure Island with pirates. This book illuminates another aspect: Thieves and other members of the underworld. The ambience is quite shitty-and-gritty, and it works wonderfully. That said, the main character (Locke) is not just any thief - he's a confidence man. This creates some great contrast as he moves in both the top and bottom rungs of society. The book reads like a swashbuckling version of The Sting or the BBC show "Hustle" (which is another gem in itself, but I digress). There are also other larger, more insidious plots going on in the background, that I'm sure will explode to the forefront towards the end of the book.

I can really see why the book has been talked about so much lately. The fact that the author (Scott Lynch) finished writing it at age 26 is just scary. Apparently there was even talk about making a movie. That would be SO cool if it happened. Oh, and I heard the second book is just being released, and this one will apparently include pirates!

Anyway, I must return to reading it now. As I said I'm only some 1/5 into it yet, so my comments might be a bit rash. I'll get back to you once I'm done.
"When to keep awake against the camel's swaying or the junk's rocking, you start summoning up your memories one by one, your wolf will have become another wolf, your sister a different sister, your battle other battles, on your return from Euphemia, the city where memory is traded." - Italo Calvino