Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 08:23:34 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Zombie Patients (Mantic and Studio) 20 more added: 22/03/2011  (Read 9553 times)

Offline cheetor

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Defixum manendum est.
    • sho3box
Re: Zombie Patients (Mantic and Studio)
« Reply #15 on: December 15, 2010, 03:08:00 PM »
Thanks for the feedback everyone, very kind.

Quote from: hawkeye
Love the guy with just legs and hips, and a spine sticking up out of the gory mess

The Mantic zombie sprue is supplied with a spine and pelvis part that can be used in lieu of a normal torso.  There is also a corresponding set of mangled stumps that can be attached to the torso to make a crawling zombie.  

While a headless zombie obviously breaks all of the pseudoscience rules, the figure is funny and the more variety in my models for painting the better, so I included the spine anyway.  I just imagine that its an action shot and that the torso has just been blown to pieces right at that second :)

Quote from: Commander Vyper
I've been playing with mantic torsos and WGF legs, make for nice modern zeds

I did some similar stuff with the WGF components that I had access to when my Mantic ghouls arrived a while back.  There are enough bits and pieces on the Mantic sprues to jazz up the WGF elements to quite acceptable levels I think, and those two manufacturers components are more compatible with each other than with the slightly bigger GW zombie/Catachan stuff or similar.

I am currently in the market for trading some of my Mantic Ghoul/Zombie sprues for WGF sprues if anyone reading is interested.

Quote from: warrenss2
Those first two pics look very dynamic, like "fast" zombies

I pointed out in the original blog post that I decided to use the Mantic zombies to plug that fast/rage zombie hole in my collection (I also used hex bases to help to denote their fast status for my games.  I have base shape/size coded my various zombie sub types for ease of recognition during play).  The figures are well suited to that I think.  I tend to prefer my rank and file zombies to have the pigeon toed, shambling look.  The Mantic figures look a bit more intense.

Quote from: Dr. The Viking
Brilliant idea. I think I'd attempt some in the greenish livery that is so common among doctors.  lol

The remaining four batches that I have primed are going to be approximations of the following colours:

« Last Edit: December 15, 2010, 06:24:42 PM by cheetor »

Offline Pil

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • One shot at glory
« Reply #16 on: December 15, 2010, 05:58:33 PM »
Great work and good idea with the gowns 8)
Let me hear the battle cry
Calling on the wind
Let me see the banners fly
Before the storm begins

Offline Whiskyrat

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #17 on: December 16, 2010, 12:11:54 AM »
Excellent idea with the gowns/colours and deeply envious of how well you have pulled it off.

I will immediately steal the idea and peddle it as my own.  ;)

Offline YIU

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #18 on: December 16, 2010, 04:20:12 PM »
That's amazing. A very clever conversion.
I wish I were an octopus to paint more miniatures...Cthulhu must be a great painter

Offline Darkoath

• Mastermind
« Reply #19 on: December 17, 2010, 12:47:45 AM »
Cheetor

Excellent work! :-*  I would love to know the colors you used for the blue hospital gowns?

Darkoath

Offline cheetor

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Defixum manendum est.
    • sho3box
« Reply #20 on: December 17, 2010, 09:23:55 AM »
I would love to know the colors you used for the blue hospital gowns?

No problem, although the man colour used might be hard to get hold of.

The gowns were painted with an old Warzone paint called "Semai Blue".  The only stockist that I know of is www.princeugust.ie and after quickly checking, it appears that they have run out of the WZ paints.  Anyway, after the Semai blue base coat some thinned down (old) GW Enchanted Blue was painted into the creases and folds. All very uncomplicated really apart from the availability of that colour.

I deliberately didnt highlight the gowns for two reasons.  Firstly I wanted a contrast in texture between the quite rich skin tones and the clothing.  Secondly I wanted the gowns to have a clean, featureless, antiseptic look.  Sometimes highlighting items like that can take make them look a bit too fussy to represent the material that they are made of in my opinion.  I prefer to just shade them.

I hope that helps.

Offline cheetor

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Defixum manendum est.
    • sho3box
« Reply #21 on: March 22, 2011, 08:28:15 PM »
So I finished another three batches of reanimated patients back in February and finally got around to photographing them recently.

First the white gowned guys:

Second a handful of pink clad dead people:

Third the familiar medical green batch:

Last, here is a snap of the whole lot with a Frothers patient from their Xmas 2009 set.

A handful more detail shots plus a small bit of info regarding painting the various batches are on my blog in the following posts, if anyone is interested:

Blue batch
White batch
Pink batch
Green batch

Comments and criticisms are all invited as usual :)

« Last Edit: March 22, 2011, 10:25:49 PM by cheetor »

Offline zizi666

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • My Photobucket page
Re: Zombie Patients (Mantic and Studio) 20 more added: 22/03/2011
« Reply #22 on: March 23, 2011, 12:26:52 AM »
Love the paintwork !  :-*

not to keen on the earthwork bases, though. :?

specialy for zombies you expect to find in Urban areas I'd go for tiled bases like the one the guy with the infusion stand has.
I read on your other post about zombie bosses that it came with the figure, but you can just as easily create that out of plasticard (scratch a line pattern in it) or even cardboard (cut out each tile and glue on the base leaving a little space in between)
ofcourse this method means you have cut the metal bar underneath the figure and glue it directly on the base (alternatively, if the bottom of the fig has an area that's chunky enough you can drill it and then pin your fig on the base for a better joint.)

My 2cts.
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons,
for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

Photobucket: http://s1217.photobucket.com/albums/dd388/zizi666/
BGG: http://boardgamegeek.com/collection/user/zizi666

Offline Axtklinge

• Scientist
« Reply #23 on: March 23, 2011, 09:58:39 AM »
Those are amazing!
Not just the painting, but the whole concept of the 'hospital patient'.
And to tell the truth they are responsible for me having bought a few sprue's of those zombies and ghouls.

Congrats!
A.

Offline Argonor

• Elder God
  • Attic Attack: Mead and Dice!
    • Argonor's Wargames
« Reply #24 on: March 23, 2011, 10:17:18 AM »
I really should get myself back to the painting desk and start panting some more zeds.... I have droves... even lots that are already prepped and primed... Hmmm...
Ask at the LAF, and answer shall thy be given!

Cultist #84

Offline Commander Vyper

• Galactic Brain
  • Remember Reach.
« Reply #25 on: March 24, 2011, 12:30:00 AM »
Get to it Argonor! ;)

Got far too many myself undercoated and ready to go, will need to do some patient zeds to go with my patient zero Frother's mini.

Cheetor: very nice mate.
Now water can flow....or water can crash...be water my friend.
Sifu Bruce Lee.

Offline cheetor

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Defixum manendum est.
    • sho3box
« Reply #26 on: March 24, 2011, 06:02:50 PM »
Thanks for the feedback guys.  The Mantic figures are nice to paint.  Weirdly, I think that I enjoyed painting them more than the Studio figures.

Love the paintwork !  :-*

not to keen on the earthwork bases, though. :?

specialy for zombies you expect to find in Urban areas I'd go for tiled bases like the one the guy with the infusion stand has.
I read on your other post about zombie bosses that it came with the figure, but you can just as easily create that out of plasticard (scratch a line pattern in it) or even cardboard (cut out each tile and glue on the base leaving a little space in between)
ofcourse this method means you have cut the metal bar underneath the figure and glue it directly on the base (alternatively, if the bottom of the fig has an area that's chunky enough you can drill it and then pin your fig on the base for a better joint.)

While scenic bases do often improve the look of the model, I go for a standard "cover it in sand" look now.  As I dont like the extra work, time and/or costs involved in heavily scenic bases I gave up on them a few years ago.

The simple sand bases are fairly neutral and look reasonable on most terrain.  Its also quick and cheap, both things that allow me to get working on more miniatures for gaming with rather than stuck finishing detailed bases. 

So scenic bases are just not really my thing and I appreciate that plain sand/flock/whatever bases are not to everyones tastes either.  I am grateful for your feedback though, thanks :)

Offline supervike

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • supervike's stuff
« Reply #27 on: March 25, 2011, 03:20:41 AM »
My goodness, I love your style.

Offline marrony

• Mastermind
« Reply #28 on: March 25, 2011, 08:55:51 AM »
Brilliant!  :o
'The night is gone and the sword is drawn.And the scabbard thrown away!' -Cry of the People by John G Neihardt.

Offline Argonor

• Elder God
  • Attic Attack: Mead and Dice!
    • Argonor's Wargames
« Reply #29 on: March 25, 2011, 09:57:54 AM »
While scenic bases do often improve the look of the model, I go for a standard "cover it in sand" look now.  As I dont like the extra work, time and/or costs involved in heavily scenic bases I gave up on them a few years ago.

The simple sand bases are fairly neutral and look reasonable on most terrain.  Its also quick and cheap, both things that allow me to get working on more miniatures for gaming with rather than stuck finishing detailed bases. 

So scenic bases are just not really my thing and I appreciate that plain sand/flock/whatever bases are not to everyones tastes either.  I am grateful for your feedback though, thanks :)

I don't use much time on bases, either.

I mostly just use some Ziterdes sand mixed with some GW sand on top of a brown-painted base, then glue some daps of fine green flock on top of that. Urban mini bases (like zeds and survivours) I usually glue on fine beach sand and then paint/drybrush with dark grey/medium grey, which gives a concrete/tarmac like appearance.

It doesn't create works of art, but with consistancy, almost anything goes, I think.