Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 06:21:45 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689617
  • Total Topics: 118288
  • Online Today: 681
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Shadowrun Lizardman (kind of)  (Read 3914 times)

Offline iago

• Assistant
    • http://www.javaop.com
Shadowrun Lizardman (kind of)
« on: September 07, 2007, 04:16:31 AM »
So there's quite a lot of story behind this miniature, since I built it in honour of a retired Shadowrun character played in a campaign that recently ended. If you don't want the story, the pictures are below. :)

The character itself is based on the "shapeshifter" rules. He is a lizard merged with a human. The player decided that the lizard would have red skin, and be from Russia. As such, he likes his vodka. Already, finding a sci-fi lizardman would be trouble enough. But I didn't give up hope!

Then in addition to his appearance, we had a fairly interesting campaign. We ended up calling the campaign "Skull Corp", since we (the players) decided we wanted a corporation. But before all that, we were just your average everyday Shadowrunners. Then one day, we were framed by another Shadowrun team. On our own turf! Naturally, we were outraged and figured out where they hang out. It turned out that they hang out at a bar in a shady area (defined as, where the cops refuse to show up). They were tough, but with some difficulty we managed to show them who's boss.

In victory, and partially because it was 4am and we were running off of sugar and caffeine (you know, when everything seems like a good idea?), we decided to take the skull of one of them as a trophy. He had titanium lacing on his bones, so after dissolving the flesh in acid, we were left with, more or less, a metal skull.

The owner of the bar was killed in the crossfire, so we put in a bid to buy it. We managed to get it, and we put the metal skull above the door and named it "The Metal Skull". The characters went on to acquire more properties, and ended up forming Skull Corp.

So that's the big long story that's necessary to understand the miniature. The miniature itself is a combination of two Age of Aegyptus miniatures: The Butcher's body/legs/arms and Sobek's head and legs. However, I had to make a few mods:

- I removed and re-sculpted both hands. In the right one, I added an AK (that was built by my good friend, Neldoroth). On the left, I made him holding a metal skull to symbolize the fight and, really, the whole campaign.
- I removed a fish from the Butcher's belt (as well as a piece of my knuckle) and added a bottle of vodka.
- I removed a bat (or flying squirrel?) from the Butcher's belt (as well as a piece of my thumb.. I'm really bad at this) and resculpted a good part of his left leg. I sculpted a holster and put it over the chunk I couldn't fix.
- I scratch-built the base and everything on it (the tipped over barstool and broken bottle). This set the scene as the big fight that kicked off the campaign.

I probably spent a grand total of 10 - 12 hours on this from the time I glued the bits together till I finished painting him. It's the most work I've ever put into a single miniature, and the first time I've ever worked with greenstuff. Personally, I think it went well.

I still, however, consider myself a rookie painter, so any feedback at all would be appreciated. Hopefully I didn't bore you with the story, but I wanted to put the miniature in context. :)

Anyways, that's enough talk, here are the pictures:

UPDATE!

So it has come to my attention from somebody who was until just recently a friend (just kidding :P) that I didn't paint the AK right. AKs are supposed to have wood parts. My first clue should have been that the picture I was working off of had an orange tip. Oops :)

I don't want to update all the pictures, since that's a bit of a pain, but here are a couple new, bonus pictures:

Offline fatgoblin

• Scientist
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2007, 06:41:51 AM »
thats a pretty nice conversion, the joints are seemless and the posing is not awkward, which can happen in some less well conceived cut and paste.

good job!

Offline poulppy

• Scientist
    • Flags
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2007, 08:04:51 AM »
It's a funy minis :mrgreen: .  Congratuletion !!
* Miniatures diary at aleaminiatures.blogspot.fr/
* Flags banners blog at  https://flagspennonsandbanners.blogspot.com/
* My Other blog on Helmets : attenti

Offline Prof.Witchheimer

• Elder God
    • Back of Beyond
Re: Shadowrun Lizardman (kind of)
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2007, 08:15:06 AM »
nice convertion and painting!

Quote from: "iago"
He is a lizard merged with a human. The player decided that the lizard would have red skin, and be from Russia. As such, he likes his vodka.

this crazy world...

Offline iago

• Assistant
    • http://www.javaop.com
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2007, 02:37:48 PM »
Thanks for the positive feedback!

I showed the pictures to the player last night, and he loved it. That was my biggest concern. :)

Offline Operator5

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • The Silent Sentinel
    • Rattrap Productions LLC
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2007, 02:59:00 PM »
Great job on the conversion and painting.

I really like the tongue hanging out, goes well with the vodka drinking character.
Richard A. Johnson
On Facebook: Rattrap on Facebook

Offline Ironworker

• Mastermind
    • http://ironworkersminiatures.blogspot.com/
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2007, 03:13:08 PM »
I always like conversions that look like they could have come out of the mold that way.  I also always like it when roleplayers do conversions for their PCs rather than complain that they can't find a matching model.  Very well done.

Offline plastic scouser

• Assistant
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2007, 10:28:35 PM »
Nice figure and its good to read the background behind it  :wink:

Cheers Ian