Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 12:03:17 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686476
  • Total Topics: 118102
  • Online Today: 857
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Passchendaele on Netflix  (Read 7781 times)

Offline Sterling Moose

• Scatterbrained Genius
Re: Passchendaele on Netflix
« Reply #15 on: December 18, 2010, 02:17:14 PM »
It was pants.
'I saw the angel in the marble and carved until I set him free.'

Offline Chairface

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #16 on: December 19, 2010, 05:29:59 AM »
Eh, it was ok. I had free tickets to an advance screening though, so I didn't feel overly cheated. I was hoping for more, but if it's on netflix and it's not costing you anything watch the battle scenes.

Offline carlos marighela

• Elder God
  • Flamenguista até morrer.
« Reply #17 on: December 19, 2010, 06:57:53 AM »
Does Celine Dion get killed early in the piece? Preferably a direct hit with a 'Jack Johnson'. If so it might be worth my while viewing it.
Em dezembro de '81
Botou os ingleses na roda
3 a 0 no Liverpool
Ficou marcado na história
E no Rio não tem outro igual
Só o Flamengo é campeão mundial
E agora seu povo
Pede o mundo de novo

Offline Calimero

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #18 on: December 19, 2010, 03:20:27 PM »
Does Celine Dion get killed early in the piece? Preferably a direct hit with a 'Jack Johnson'. If so it might be worth my while viewing it.

lol
A CANADIAN local hobby store with a small selection of historical wargames miniatures (mainly from Warlords). They also have a great selection of paint and hobby accessories from Vallejo, Army painter, AK Interactive, Green Stuff World and more.; https://www.kingdomtitans.ca/us/

Offline tim in saskatoon

• Mad Scientist
    • Tim's Miniature Wargaming Blog
« Reply #19 on: December 25, 2010, 04:38:12 PM »
I have to admit I was terribly disappointed with the film. I had read a number of interviews with paul Gross (who starred in, Directed and produced the film) and he talked about wanting to make it a tribute to his grandfather who had fought in the battle. So I went in thinking it would be a movie about the battle of Passchedale and the Canadians involvement in it (movie is named after the battle, director/producer claimed it was a tribute to relative that fought in it...). It was not about the battle. If I hadn't been expecting that, and had been expecting a romance set against the backdrop of war, I may not have been so disappointed - I might have even overlooked the gross historical inaccuracies... (oh, don't get me started...).

I think a movie that's about a battle should leave the average movie goer, who knows little about military history, with some sense of what actually happened historically - A Bridge too Far is a great example. It should also inspire easily distractible wargamer like myself want to go home and start painting toys for the period in question. I did not run home and bust out the 28mm late war Canadians... If it could have inspired me to do anything it would have been to run home and dress my wife up in a nurses uniform and have a little romp out in the rain with fireworks going off in the background... er...

I have a sense that Mr. Gross only used the name Passchedale because it sounded like sort of like passion-dale...  adding further to my disgust and disappointment.

Offline Stecal

• Scientist
    • Pictures of my minis
« Reply #20 on: January 13, 2011, 01:11:38 PM »
Bill Trotter at the The Wargamer just posted a review of the movie:

http://www.wargamer.com/article/2980/passchendaele
Clear the battlefield and let me see
All the profit from our victory.

Offline dodge

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #21 on: January 13, 2011, 03:04:37 PM »
I watched it recently,

and I have to say I lked it,

I felt the story and liked the bits of action

so there !

Offline Old Goat

• Scientist
« Reply #22 on: March 06, 2011, 11:23:56 AM »
I finally got around to this yesterday and well... :o

The bits I did think were interesting were opening scene the hand to hand scenes at the end which does something to convey the savagery of what trench fighting must have been like.

The rest was just awful, I mean awful, Morphine addicted nurse love interest with german father who died fighting for Germany at Vimy, the asthmatic younger brother who will join up at any cost, the crucification scene and the carrying the crucifed comrade back to his own lines with him still on the cross...Dear God!  Clumsy, daft...Bad film, which was a shame as it could have been brilliant.

I would also add for Tesco shoppers, avoid Company K as well...It doesn't matter how cheap it is...

Best, Goat.

Offline GladioHumanitas

• Bookworm
  • I can't see through this helmet.
« Reply #23 on: March 06, 2011, 09:01:19 PM »
May be it´s only me. My father liked it a lot. I think I was mainlydissapointed because of the very few battle scenes. And I think that love-stories in Warmovies ALWAYS suck.

There are war movies with love stories mixed in... and then there are love movies with war stories mixed in.
The trouble is recognizing which sort you are about to get before it's too late.
"His ability to outrun a burning hydrogen airship was lacking, so the Law of Natural Selection said he had to go (it's not always a fair statute)."

Offline Bugsda

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #24 on: March 06, 2011, 09:55:44 PM »
There should never be birds in war films, unless it's Susannah York in The Battle of Britain 

" Don't you shout at me, MR Warwick!"   lol
Well I've lead an evil life, so they say, but I'll outrun the Devil on judgement day.

Offline carlos marighela

• Elder God
  • Flamenguista até morrer.
« Reply #25 on: March 07, 2011, 12:17:23 AM »
Au contraire. There probably should be more as long as they are along the lines of Irene Papas in The Guns of Navarone, Cláudia Abreu in The Canudos War or Marisé Alvarez  in Che, El Argentino.

:P