Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 10:25:07 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689737
  • Total Topics: 118291
  • Online Today: 821
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Vallejo or Wargames Foundry paints for British Colonial  (Read 3535 times)

Offline abelp01

• Librarian
Vallejo or Wargames Foundry paints for British Colonial
« on: December 26, 2010, 10:17:53 AM »
Merry Christmas everyone!!

I'm interested in Copplestone's WW1 British Colonial infantry and I was wondering what colors from Vallejo and/or Wargames Foundry do some of you use? Also, did the Sihk/Indian troops have the same color uniforms?

Thanks!

Abel

Offline sepoy1857

• Mastermind
  • Wherever Duty Calls...
    • The Devil's Wind
Re: Vallejo or Wargames Foundry paints for British Colonial
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2010, 09:51:52 PM »
Merry Christmas! What army/Theatre are you asking about? It all depends who? Where? and When? because the answer will likely be different each time! Generally the Indian Army after the Mutiny wore khaki, but not always. Khaki is a moving target as well.

As far as paints go Vallejo and Foundry are both outstanding paints - Reaper Master Series and Reaper Pro Paints from the USA are very good as well and offer some very good Colonial type colours. I find Foundry Flesh the best for "Natives" Dusky Flesh or Near Eastern works good for Indians.

Best of luck with your project!
All The Best
Scott Dallimore
Kent-Essex Gaming Society
http://kent-essexgaming.ca/

Offline abelp01

• Librarian
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2010, 10:10:40 PM »
Merry Christmas! What army/Theatre are you asking about? It all depends who? Where? and When? because the answer will likely be different each time! Generally the Indian Army after the Mutiny wore khaki, but not always. Khaki is a moving target as well.

As far as paints go Vallejo and Foundry are both outstanding paints - Reaper Master Series and Reaper Pro Paints from the USA are very good as well and offer some very good Colonial type colours. I find Foundry Flesh the best for "Natives" Dusky Flesh or Near Eastern works good for Indians.

Best of luck with your project!
Sepoy1857,
Thanks for your response! I'm interested in the WW1 period that are represented by the Copplestone casts. I believe they were in the Palestine theater. I like the Reaper triads, but most Historical painters don't use them cause of the generic names, that's why I didn't include them in my thread.
Can you recommend a Khaki color from the paint brands mentioned? I like the color that the Copplestone figures have here:

http://www.copplestonecastings.co.uk/images/bc18.jpg

Appreciate any help!

Abel

Offline Wirelizard

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Needs More Zeppelin!
    • The Warbard
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2010, 08:51:08 AM »
Sepoy1857,
Thanks for your response! I'm interested in the WW1 period that are represented by the Copplestone casts. I believe they were in the Palestine theater. I like the Reaper triads, but most Historical painters don't use them cause of the generic names, that's why I didn't include them in my thread.

You can get a very nice British khaki from the Reaper Master Series paints, if that's what you usually paint with, despite the non-historical generic/fantasy names. I just finished ten Pulp Figures guys in khaki, using the following:

Base of Reaper MS Yellow Ivory
Wash of GW Devlan Mud, thinned (optional, really)
Highlight with Reaper MS Creamy Ivory
Optional 2nd highlight with Reaper MS Linen White, which I also used for the pugarees (the wrapped cloth around the sun helmets).

For grey shirts:
Reaper MS Stone Grey & Reaper MS Snow Shadow, mixed roughly 2:1. Gives that slight blue tint that probably isn't accurate, but is beloved of wargamers and looks more interesting that flat grey.
Highlight with Stone Grey lightened just a bit with Linen White.

I did the canvas webbing gear Reaper MS Stained Ivory and leather gear mostly with Reaper MS Blackened Brown.

I did mine up mostly with canvas webbing, as I'm painting for interwar/NWF primarily, and I gather the British went back to the canvas 1908-pattern webbing post-WW1, instead of the leather 1914-pattern of the war.

Haven't managed any photos yet, but I'll get some taken and posted soon.

If you haven't discovered it already, for Reaper Master Series paint users, the Power Palette is excellent - upload an image and it'll do it's best to tell you which MS paints are the closest matches for selected colours.

Offline abelp01

• Librarian
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2010, 11:00:33 AM »
Thanks Wirelizard! I do know about the power palette, but it slipped my mind completely!