Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2024, 10:57:07 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Post-apocalyptic wasteland: Now what?  (Read 14693 times)

Offline abhorsen950

• Mastermind
Post-apocalyptic wasteland: Now what?
« on: December 27, 2010, 05:54:02 PM »
Well its happened, a nuclear war, your countries a wasteland. What would you do?

I'm just interested to hear what you guys would do, since a lot of people here are gaming this genre, maybe you've thought about what you'd do when you are bored, I do this often.

I look forward to hearing from you.
Steve

Offline Dolmot

• Mastermind
Re: Post-apocalyptic wasteland: Now what?
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2010, 05:57:56 PM »
Well its happened, a nuclear war, your countries a wasteland. What would you do?

Probably start pre-apocalyptic gaming...

Offline answer_is_42

• Mastermind
  • Mostly Harmless.
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2010, 07:00:37 PM »
Wander around in a dazed and confused state, poke some corpses with a stick, attempt, perhaps, to open a can of baked beans, and then die of exposure.

Considering the number of nuclear weapons in the world, and the fact that we really have no idea of how powerful they are (very, I expect), do you really think that there will be either anyone left, or anything left to live off?
::)
I told you so. You damned fools.
 - H.G. Wells

Offline Sterling Moose

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2010, 07:05:26 PM »
I'm pretty sure I'd disappear in a brief but intense flash of flame.
'I saw the angel in the marble and carved until I set him free.'

Offline Wolf 359

• Scientist
    • WhatThe?!Miniatures
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2010, 07:17:09 PM »
'Wolveriiiiiiiiiiines....!!!!!'
I suppose I'd get ready to go all Road Warrior...

One miniature is too many, and a thousand are not enough...

Offline Chairface

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2010, 07:34:25 PM »
When my wife and I saw this at the library we HAD to get it to see if it was for real or not.

While it is a little tongue and cheek, (the "author" is a UFC fighter) it is meant to be a serious guide to the apocalypse.

Offline Wolf 359

• Scientist
    • WhatThe?!Miniatures
« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2010, 08:17:20 PM »
When my wife and I saw this at the library we HAD to get it to see if it was for real or not.

While it is a little tongue and cheek, (the "author" is a UFC fighter) it is meant to be a serious guide to the apocalypse.

What is it? I'm not seeing a link.

Offline YPU

• Galactic Brain
  • In glorious 3D!
« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2010, 08:43:58 PM »

Image not showing up, common problem these days on LAF. Let me try.

3d designer, sculptor and printer, at your service!

3d files! (here)

Offline Furt

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Barbarous...
    • "Adventures in Lead"
« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2010, 09:31:01 PM »
Rally my neighboring survivors and with my skills gained through roleplaying and wargaming, begin my own apocalyptic tribe, conquering other local tribes and eventually installing myself as high chieftain and the "Ayattolla of Rock 'n Rolla".  >:D

But first I'd have to find some water, considering I have NO survival skills whatsoever...  :'(
“A prisoner of war is a man who tries to kill you and fails, and then asks you not to kill him.”

http://adventuresinlead.blogspot.com/

Offline Doomhippie

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #9 on: December 27, 2010, 11:06:37 PM »
Try to move away from home to some area that isn't a polluted wasteland.
Apart from that it would depend on the level of death and destruction around us. If there was some kind of social organization left, I'd give it a try - it's usually better than trying to survive on your own.
Maybe I'll become a superhero from exposure...
Roky Erickson flies my spaceship!

Offline Slayer

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #10 on: December 27, 2010, 11:33:50 PM »
Well I'd just continue like normal I'd expect, as in live in NZ nobody cares about us  lol lol
the early bird may get the worm but the second mouse gets the cheese

Offline ErikB

• Mastermind
  • Sometimes I feel like Schroedinger's Cat
« Reply #11 on: December 27, 2010, 11:42:35 PM »
I live in the San Francisco Bay Area.  We'd be obliterated so quickly that we wouldn't even know what hit us.

Offline LeadAsbestos

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • When the Hurlyburly's Done...
« Reply #12 on: December 28, 2010, 01:10:07 AM »
Considering my area is a prime target, providing electricity to half of NY state, it may be over quickly.

If not, the high levels of chemical pollution and radiation in the area should provide me with the necessary mutations and resistances to set myself up as the Over-Dog.

:)

Offline Luddite

• Scientist
    • The Shire and everything after
« Reply #13 on: December 28, 2010, 02:17:23 AM »
I guess it'll help me lose some wieght!

1.  Secure a weapon. 
Not easy in the UK, so at best i guess it'll be some sort of knife or axe, i'l work my way up to a bow or shotgun.

2. Secure resources. 
Water, food and shelter.  This will be made easier having achieved 1.  Previous morals are out of the window here so violence will have to be used to ensure success.  Probably not down to cannibalism at this stage.  Key targets will be shopping malls, abandoned government/military underground bunkers, etc.

3.  Secure a gang of followers.
I'm keen to try and retain something of the 'old life' so a band of raiders or road warriors won't be for me.  instead a gang of 'rebuilders' looking to make a decent life in the wastes.

4.  Secure knowledge.
Get people who know how to do things to join.  Mechanics, farmers, doctors, teachers...all useful.

5.  Rebuild society.
I'll be Uncle Entity.  Of course this will have to involve repopulating the species so it should be a bit of fun there - ignoring the rad-rotted flesh, and general genetic damage.

:D
http://luddite1811.blogspot.co.uk/

It is by tea alone I set my mind in motion.  It is by the juice of Typhoo the thoughts acquire speed, the teeth acquire stains, the stains serve as a warning.  It is by tea alone I set my mind in motion.

Offline Wolf 359

• Scientist
    • WhatThe?!Miniatures
« Reply #14 on: December 28, 2010, 02:50:34 AM »
Have any of you ever watched The Colony, on the Discovery Channel? Did anyone broadcast this show in Europe? I thought they did a fair job of representing a 'sanitized' version of how it could possibly go down.  They gathered the people referenced in number 4, to make number 3, and threw them together as in number 2, without the cannibalism.

Here (an hour east of Dallas), in all seriousness, my immediate family and some close friends have a contingency plan for several different scenarios (I'm former military). The general concensus with people I game with - and some co-workers - is that we'd be more likely to get a dirty bomb here than anything else. In any case, post-apocalyptic priorities are water, shelter, food (weaponry is covered), and finding like-minded survivors for strength in numbers, and common goals. Here, it would be a resurgence of the Old West, with technological advances.

2. Secure resources. 
Water, food and shelter.  This will be made easier having achieved 1.  Previous morals are out of the window here so violence will have to be used to ensure success.  Probably not down to cannibalism at this stage.  Key targets will be shopping malls, abandoned government/military underground bunkers, etc.

3.  Secure a gang of followers.
I'm keen to try and retain something of the 'old life' so a band of raiders or road warriors won't be for me.  instead a gang of 'rebuilders' looking to make a decent life in the wastes.

4.  Secure knowledge.
Get people who know how to do things to join.  Mechanics, farmers, doctors, teachers...all useful.

5.  Rebuild society.
I'll be Uncle Entity.  Of course this will have to involve repopulating the species so it should be a bit of fun there - ignoring the rad-rotted flesh, and general genetic damage.

:D