Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 11:32:04 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690820
  • Total Topics: 118353
  • Online Today: 947
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Someone please talk me out of buying these  (Read 8231 times)

Offline Rhoderic

• Mastermind
  • I disapprove!
Someone please talk me out of buying these
« on: September 13, 2007, 01:08:00 AM »
Sorry, nothing miniature-related for you to gawk at, just a couple of swashbuckling-related DVDs:

http://www.cdjapan.co.jp/detailview.html?KEY=BBBA-9078
http://www.cdjapan.co.jp/detailview.html?KEY=BBBA-9079

It's the 1980s anime take on The Three Musketeers. Apparently Aramis is secretly a girl and the Man in the Iron Mask is a notorious thief sneaking across the Paris rooftops. I yearn to see this series. It sounds every bit as good and angsty as that other great anime swashbuckling classic, The Rose of Versailles. But alas, there's a huge price gap between Japanese DVDs and western ones. These would cost me $500 (or 3400 Swedish crowns) together, excluding shipping.

Woe is me! Why can't I have cheaper interests? :cry:
"When to keep awake against the camel's swaying or the junk's rocking, you start summoning up your memories one by one, your wolf will have become another wolf, your sister a different sister, your battle other battles, on your return from Euphemia, the city where memory is traded." - Italo Calvino

Offline Malamute

• Prince of Darkness
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
    • Boot Hill Miniatures
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2007, 08:24:05 AM »
Don't do it! - There now I bet that has made all the difference :lol:  They sound like an interesting idea, but I expect as soon as you have watched them you will feel you have spent alot of money for little return- or perhaps not :?:
"These creatures do not die like the bee after the first sting, but go on age after age, feeding on the blood of the living"  - Abraham Van Helsing

Offline Lowtardog

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2007, 09:22:15 AM »
Dont do it, It is Anime and as such wont inspire you with all the Kung Fu action that wont represent on table games.

Also the characters will have those hideous big baby eyes and no one produces these figures and you can bet there will be some strange magic, weird creatures and a little gonk like side kick Yuck

Offline PeteMurray

• Parapsychologist
  • Scatterbrained Genius
  • Cardinal Murray
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2007, 12:22:51 PM »
Good gods, man, $500 for anime? Don't do it. For that kind of money you could get a miniature sculpted and cast up professionally! Which would be better--an anime of unknown quality, or a little metal monument to yourself?

Offline Westfalia Chris

• Cardboard Warlord
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Brain
  • Elaborate! Elucidate! Evaluate!
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2007, 01:10:11 PM »
No subtitles, and just one Japanese language track?  :lipps:

I´d advise against. Better get a whole lot of minis for the cash and buy all Musketeer movies DVDs currently on the market. You know, the Michael York one, the Richard Chamberlain one, and then the other Michael York one, and then the Leonardo diCaprio one... well, maybe not that one, but you get the idea.

Offline Plynkes

• The Royal Bastard
  • Elder God
  • I killed Mufasa!
    • http://misterplynkes.blogspot.com/
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2007, 01:52:05 PM »
Don't be a fool, man!!

Everyone knows that the only decent animated treatment of the story is "Dogtanian and the Three Muskehounds" anyway.

With Cat-Like Tread
Upon our prey we steal...

Offline Malamute

• Prince of Darkness
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
    • Boot Hill Miniatures
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2007, 02:10:23 PM »
Quote from: Plynkes
Don't be a fool, man!!

Everyone knows that the only decent animated treatment of the story is "Dogtanian and the Three Muskehounds" anyway.quote]

What about the Three musketeers cartoon from the Banana Splits,anybody remember that?

Offline Prof.Witchheimer

• Elder God
    • Back of Beyond
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2007, 02:22:50 PM »
dont forget:

Offline Rhoderic

• Mastermind
  • I disapprove!
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2007, 02:28:10 PM »
Thanks for the properly horrified reactions :lol:
One of my other hobbies is japanophilia, and many of the more hardcore types in said hobby regularly buy obscure anime DVDs straight from Japan for outrageous prices. I've sort of grown desensitized to the notion. Seeing you guys recoil in horror at the price has helped me put things back in perspective (though Pete's suggestion that I spend the money to have one single miniature sculpted makes me worry that our hobby is no healthier :roll: ).
I once tried purchasing another classic, equally expensive series, The Mysterious Cities of Gold (incidentally another swashbuckling-related one) straight from Japan. I paid for it and all, then felt almost sick with buyer's remorse. Thankfully something went awry, the order got cancelled and I got my money back.

Quote from: "Lowtardog"
It is Anime and as such wont inspire you with all the Kung Fu action that wont represent on table games.

It's not the "kung fu action" type of anime. More like "ridiculously pretty people acting all angsty and melodramatic, while the air around them turns all sparkly". I tried to find some good scene from The Rose of Versailles on Youtube to exemplify what I mean, but just got a bunch of odious "anime music videos" (a phenomenon that I hate).

Quote from: "Plynkes"
Everyone knows that the only decent animated treatment of the story is "Dogtanian and the Three Muskehounds" anyway.

You mean Wan Wan Sanjushi, surely? :P (that cartoon is also an anime, originally)

Offline PeteMurray

• Parapsychologist
  • Scatterbrained Genius
  • Cardinal Murray
« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2007, 03:24:25 PM »
Quote from: "Rhoderic"
though Pete's suggestion that I spend the money to have one single miniature sculpted makes me worry that our hobby is no healthier :roll:

Ah yes, but I trust you will commission something I would want to purchase myself! Plus a miniature in production can be a source of income as well--thus conceivably enabling you to purchase many translation-free DVDs from Japan. All joking aside, I have more fun with the hobby now that I have a vested business interest in it than I did as a consumer.

(edited for a bad turn of phrase)

Offline Plynkes

• The Royal Bastard
  • Elder God
  • I killed Mufasa!
« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2007, 03:51:00 PM »
I'm in no position to lecture anybody.

I've been spending the last few weeks bidding like a maniac on Pickelhauben on eBay (both genuine and replica), and then feeling tremendous gushes of relief whenever I've been outbid or found that I haven't met the reserve.

Keep me away from the pointy hats. I lose all sense when near them.

Offline Malamute

• Prince of Darkness
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
    • Boot Hill Miniatures
« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2007, 04:52:47 PM »
Quote from: "Plynkes"
I'm in no position to lecture anybody.

I've been spending the last few weeks bidding like a maniac on Pickelhauben on eBay (both genuine and replica), and then feeling tremendous gushes of relief whenever I've been outbid or found that I haven't met the reserve.

Keep me away from the pointy hats. I lose all sense when near them.

Poly, Out of interest how much do they sell for, I've always had a hankering for one as well?

Offline Plynkes

• The Royal Bastard
  • Elder God
  • I killed Mufasa!
« Reply #12 on: September 13, 2007, 05:19:41 PM »
Real ones several hundred pounds, occasionally up into the thousands.

Replicas around the £100+ mark.

Offline revford

• Mastermind
« Reply #14 on: September 13, 2007, 06:17:10 PM »
Quote from: "Malamute"
What about the Three musketeers cartoon from the Banana Splits,anybody remember that?

Yes, but I'm still on the side of Dogtanian.  :)
Gav Ford
revford@gmail.com