Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 01:24:47 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Yo Ho Me Hearties! A Pirate skirmish  (Read 8022 times)

Offline Malamute

• Prince of Darkness
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
    • Boot Hill Miniatures
Yo Ho Me Hearties! A Pirate skirmish
« on: January 03, 2011, 05:26:57 PM »
Arhhh, ha, ha, gather around lads to hear the tale of the lost pirate gold..... Twas a fine day wednesday last when three scurvy Pirate crews set sail for La Isla Bonita to uncover vast riches of gold Doubloons, pearls and other precious stones....

Our annual Christmas game comprised our first pirate outing using Legends of the High Seas. We used the X marks the spot game with a few modifications to account for three players: myself, Dread Pirate Dave and that wily old sea dog Captain Will Morgan (its his real name, honest it is).

Dave painted the figures, now in Wills ownership and I supplied the terrain and the ships. The scenario involved three groups looking for buried treasure. Six tokens were randomly placed on the table. The objective was to find the loot and escape via one of the ships anchored at the northern end of the island.

As usual nothing went according to plan. I was fortunate to find the treasure quickly but had my escape route cut off as Will Morgan occupied the high ground nearest the ships. Dread Pirate Dave attacked Will on one side, I made for the sea on the other side and much fun was had by all. Highlights included Dave's attempts to jump from the rocks into the sea and swim to a ship (three of his figures drowned in the attempt). There was no winner as the treasure was eventually thrown into the sea going to Davy Jones locker, lost forever...

« Last Edit: January 04, 2011, 10:16:18 AM by Malamute »
"These creatures do not die like the bee after the first sting, but go on age after age, feeding on the blood of the living"  - Abraham Van Helsing

Offline cianty

• Scientist
    • cianty's Tabletop Wargames Blog
Re: Yo Ho Me Hearties! A Pirate skirmish
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2011, 06:09:41 PM »
Lovely!

What is the water part made from if I may ask? It looks nice... bluish glossy and flat for moving ships across..

Offline Malamute

• Prince of Darkness
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
    • Boot Hill Miniatures
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2011, 06:12:42 PM »
Lovely!

What is the water part made from if I may ask? It looks nice... bluish glossy and flat for moving ships across..

5mm MDF sheet painted a mixture of dark/light blues and lots of coats of gloss vacht varnish.

Offline Silent Invader

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2011, 08:13:18 PM »
 :-* 8)

That looks like it was a lot of fun.  And enough cork to make a ...er.... cliff face!

The glossed water has come out very well;  I thought it was a sheet of glass.
My LAF Gallery is HERE
Minis (foot & mounted) finished in 2024 = 32
(2023 = 151; 2022 = 204; 2021 = 123; 2020 = ???)

Online Furt

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Barbarous...
    • "Adventures in Lead"
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2011, 08:29:37 PM »
Awesome looking game - especially the terrain.

I love the pirates scrambling across the cork rocks - very "piraty" indeed.

We have played three-player games of LOTHS and they typically always ended poorly, with some poor sod always sandwiched between the other two.

Is this a one off Nick or is there more pirating to come?
“A prisoner of war is a man who tries to kill you and fails, and then asks you not to kill him.”

http://adventuresinlead.blogspot.com/

Offline Malamute

• Prince of Darkness
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
    • Boot Hill Miniatures
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2011, 08:49:47 PM »

Is this a one off Nick or is there more pirating to come?

It's a small side project to keep us occupied through the winter months. I have just started painting a pirate crew and my chums are already building their own forces.

I am thinking of doing some more adobe buildings with tiled roofs to add a bit more of a Caribbean feel to my town, oh and some sort of seaside fortifications :D

Offline Hombre

• Scientist
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2011, 10:12:02 PM »
Yesterday i saw one of my favorite pirate movies "Treasure Island" from 1966 and now this really cool gamingtable!  :-*
I must order some pirates and a nice ship,hoho!  ;D

Hombre

Offline Bugsda

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2011, 12:54:28 AM »
Excellent! Being a total lead butterly I now want to collect pirates! ::)

That's Sudan, Back of Beyond and pirates planned, all in the space of a day  o_o
Well I've lead an evil life, so they say, but I'll outrun the Devil on judgement day.

Offline FifteensAway

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2011, 05:00:28 AM »
Very pretty - and those nice little teddy bears in the background to console you all at the lost treasure ;D

Actually, really cool table.  Inspiring.

Offline Lowtardog

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2011, 12:38:33 PM »
Excellent though if it wasnt I would have to come around and give you a drubbing ;)

Now that I am planning on actually doing the highwayman/smuggler thing (remember ....2007 we were both thinking of doing this) I hope the game will inspire you to get back on track and set aside your VSF shenanigans ;D ;)

Offline Malamute

• Prince of Darkness
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
    • Boot Hill Miniatures
« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2011, 12:41:57 PM »
Excellent though if it wasnt I would have to come around and give you a drubbing ;)

Now that I am planning on actually doing the highwayman/smuggler thing (remember ....2007 we were both thinking of doing this) I hope the game will inspire you to get back on track and set aside your VSF shenanigans ;D ;)

Funnily enough I was looking at the figures I bought for the highwayman project yesterday and was thinking the exact same thing :D

Offline Lowtardog

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2011, 12:55:15 PM »
Funnily enough I was looking at the figures I bought for the highwayman project yesterday and was thinking the exact same thing :D

lol yup I have managed to rescue most of the buildings and figures from my old house but the pirate ships still languish at the old matrimonial home some 270 miles away and I fear for their salvation at the moment ;D

Still planning on a couple of purchases such as the OG coach and the WW town elders also waiting for Outpost new releases which should be soonish ;D oh and perhaps the SYW prussian guys that one of the lads did a cracking job of here a while back...you know the ones with the chap with the blunderbuss...to use as revenue men ;)

Worth looking at the LOTH rules as they should be easy but currently being lured by the ease of Songs of Blades and Heroes so may give them a try too

Offline Silent Invader

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2011, 01:49:44 PM »
Coincidentally I have a highwayman and smuggler angle to my Americas project.  I bought a Eureka SYW officer on foot and on horse to convert to a gentleman of the road and have some carriage wheels (but as yet no carriage, though I have one planned!).  I'm intending to use the Sharp Practice rules with numerous Big Men characters..

Offline Lowtardog

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #13 on: January 04, 2011, 01:57:29 PM »
Coincidentally I have a highwayman and smuggler angle to my Americas project.  I bought a Eureka SYW officer on foot and on horse to convert to a gentleman of the road and have some carriage wheels (but as yet no carriage, though I have one planned!).  I'm intending to use the Sharp Practice rules with numerous Big Men characters..

I have been keeping a keen eye on your projects :D to see what can ahem.... be appropriated ;)

Offline timg

• Scientist
« Reply #14 on: January 04, 2011, 03:56:05 PM »
Davey Crocketts locker? Looking good, must dust my scurvy knaves off. Which rules do you use?