Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 20, 2024, 07:04:43 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689771
  • Total Topics: 118294
  • Online Today: 798
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Pinnacle's Space 1889 - any good?  (Read 2382 times)

Offline Abbner Home

• Scientist
Pinnacle's Space 1889 - any good?
« on: January 03, 2011, 06:17:35 PM »
I was totally ignorant of the VSF genre until recently when I found it on this board. I've been bit overwhelmed by the quality and interesting subject matter displayed.

So I think I will at least check out some rules and background before starting to pick up yet more lead. (I know, I'm a disgrace to the hobby... :))

I'm a big fan of Pinnacle's Savage Worlds rules. But I was crushingly disappointed by their Weird War supplement. Before springing for the PDF of Pinnacle's VSF book can anyone who's read it give any review or comments?

I read HG Wells as kid but only remember vague images. Other than Wells are there some "must read" books for the VSF genre?

Thanks for any opinions or tips.

Offline Red Orc

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Baffled but happy
    • My new VSF blog:
Re: Pinnacle's Space 1889 - any good?
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2011, 07:33:48 PM »
The 'classic' VSF authors, apart from Wells, are probably Jules Verne (20,000 Leagues Under the Sea, Voyage to the Centre of the Earth, From the Earth to the Moon and sequels) and Edgar Rice Burroughs (Princess of Mars and sequels). Add Arthur Conan Doyle (Sherlock Holmes), Anthony Hope (Prsoner of Zenda and sequels, as well as other authors writing 'Ruritanian' or 'Graustarkian' adventure-romances) and H Rider Haggard (King Solomon's Mines and sequels) to taste.

In fact, Captain Nemo, Allan Quatermain and Sherlock Holmes travelling to Mars via Ruritania to intervene in the war between the Tripods and the Barsoomians is pretty much how we do things round here - with side-orders of the Dear Old Queen, Gawd Bless 'er, blowing the heads off zombies.

For the last one, you have to go for more modern authors such as AE Moorat ('Queen Victoria: Demon Hunter'). At that point you might want to check out people like Philp Reeve ('Mortal Engines'), Kenneth Oppel ('Airborn'), Cherie Priest ('Boneshaker') and Chris Wooding ('Retribution Falls'), who write adventurous stories of people in airships and such like (not exactly VSF per se, more like steampunk if that's a valid distinction for you). 'The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen' is another reference point.

It may strike you that in fact, the 'VSF' writers are either not 'Victorian' so much (HG Wells, Edgar Rice Burroughs), not writing in English (Jules Verne), or not really writing sci-fi (Anthony Hope, H Rider Haggard, Arthur Conan Doyle). But that doesn't matter, it's all a big mish-mash. Personally I think if it's got airships in it that's good enough for me.

Offline gamer Mac

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2011, 08:16:00 PM »
Have a look at this previous thread.
http://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=21920.msg267344#msg267344
May be of some help.

Offline Donpimpom

• Mad Scientist
    • Tabletop Fantasy
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2011, 08:37:58 PM »
go a comic book store and get a copy of The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen. its a good start

Offline Supercollider

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2011, 09:43:19 PM »
The Savage Worlds supplement 'Red Sands' is pretty good for what it is.  It contains enough setting rules to develop steam powered gadgets, rules to deal with the Victorian class system, rules for aether ships, flyers, etc.

There is a fair bit of background on the solar system, a bit of info on Venus, Mercury and the Moon.  Though obviously most info concerns Mars, its politics and its peoples. You can find loads more background info on the 'net (e.g. http://www.heliograph.com/space1889/), or use some of the old 1889 books for reference (I'm lucky enough to have several lying around from years ago). 

The bulk of the book is adventures, split about 50/50 between the Red Sands Campaign, and random adventures on various celestial bodies which can be played stand-alone, or slotted in to the campaign.  An adventure generator is also included.

The last bit of the book is characters and creatures, everything from dinos to automatons.  Plus all the characters and extras from the campaigns and adventures.

IMHO it's not bad for the price, it has everything you need to run a pretty big, detailed campaign, plus loads of rules you can use to invent your own stuff.  Plus, it's a nice hardback book.  Maybe a bit sketchy in some places (specifically info on non-Martian worlds), but filling in those blanks is part of the fun? (with or without 'official' supplements)

Offline Abbner Home

• Scientist
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2011, 05:52:00 PM »
Thanks for all the thoughtful replys. Sounds like Red Sands is fairly similar to Weird Wars. I'm decently familiar with WWII and its various sci-fi and fantasy alternates and it did fit my taste on bit. But on the other hand I'm not a comic reader and really liked Necessary Evil. So being new to VSF Red Sands may serve my needs nicely.

Funny enough I was reading a Sherlock Holmes compilation right before my last move. But I don't think the book made the filght...