Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 05:21:35 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: No school like old school(Im back! Jan 9th 2012 Grenadier skeleton warband)  (Read 37154 times)

Offline Damien

• Mad Scientist
Hello everyone, I just introduced myself in ‘introductions’ and I wanted to post something right away. A little about me, I love old school Dungeons & Dragons, I started playing way back in ’83 with this edition.

I started painting Ral Partha miniatures almost immediately with Testors glossy models paints (you can imagine the results). Even though today’s miniatures are much better sculpted I still love painting old school Citadel, Ral Partha and Grenadier minis. Well, enough talk here are a couple of pictures (I hope I get better at taking pics, its more difficult taking a good pic than painting miniatures).

First off we have a Dwarf champion from Ral Partha

And secondly we Ratscum from Grenadier, my all time favorite ‘Skaven’ type rat race miniatures.

I hope to be updating this post with more old school goodness soon, let me know what you think.

Thanks,
 Damien
« Last Edit: January 09, 2012, 08:13:51 PM by Damien »

Offline Froggy the Great

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • ...let slip the frogs of war.
    • My deviantArt gallery of painted figures
Re: No school like old school
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2011, 03:07:24 AM »
Really nice metallics on that platemail.
You, sir, are not allowed to attempt a takeover of the solar system until your octopus sobers up.

Offline m4jumbo

• Scientist
    • Terrain Specialties Forum
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2011, 04:35:20 AM »
Very nice.  I too am a fan of the old Ral Partha stuff, and that Dwarf has always been one of my favorites. 
Small suggestion on the pictures; since you are taking pics of single figs, if you crop the pics so that there is not so much background, the figs will be show cased much better.

Hope you post more.
So many games, so little time.
-----------------------------------
http://z15.invisionfree.com/Terrain_Specialties/index.php?act=idx

Offline Doomhippie

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2011, 12:32:49 PM »
I love the good old D&D, started playing around the same time. So I can really relate to your old school approach to miniatures - though I personally like some of the recent stuff a little better. Anyway, great to have you onboard this forum.
Roky Erickson flies my spaceship!

Offline phreedh

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Carpe plumbum!
    • Phreedh's Ministuff
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2011, 12:47:50 PM »
Wellcome! Very nice minis, I hope you'll post more soon! I'm especially fond of the detail on the dwarf's helmet.

I too am a sucker for oldschool lead, but mostly Citadel in my collection. You should check out my blog (linked in my sig).
Please visit my miniature gaming blog at http://ministuff.godzilla.se

Offline SBRPearce

• Mad Scientist
    • "The Cellar-Dweller" blog
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2011, 01:28:13 PM »
I recently unearthed my collection of Ral Partha, Grenadier and Citadel minis, dating from the late 1970s to the mid 1980s. (All painted with Testors as well).

A walk down memory lane! Love the Ratman mini.
from Mr.Vampire: "It's the paintjob that makes the miniature fight harder not the size."

Offline Heldrak

• The Dark Elf
  • Scatterbrained Genius
  • LPL IV Bronze Medalist
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2011, 01:36:20 PM »
Nice-looking figures. I assume that these are more recent painting attempts...?  ;)
2012 Lead Tally: Painted:0

Offline phreedh

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Carpe plumbum!
    • Phreedh's Ministuff
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2011, 01:40:28 PM »
recent painting attempts...?  ;)
"Attempts"?! What a rude wellcome, Mike!  :D  lol

Offline Colonel Tubby

• Mastermind
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2011, 02:06:10 PM »
Welcome Damien - I also started off with the old red rule book many years ago.

In fact I have been slowly filling out my old school modules off e-bay of late after coming across my collection during a house move.

If you like figures for this era then try the Otherworld stuff - some of the best modern, old style around IMHO:

http://www.otherworld.me.uk/

Offline DeafNala

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2011, 02:36:06 PM »
WELCOME ABOARD!

The minis look TERRIFIC...you can't keep an old mini down. I agree that you did a FINE job on the metal work. The Rat Scum Lads were always a favorite; Grenadier came out with some very cool stuff. VERY WELL DONE!
I got my introduction to fantasy with T.S.R's incomprehensible D&D boxed set...it was my sole gamining interest until WotC took over. Ah the memories!
I'd NEVER join a club that would have me as a member.  G.Marx

Offline Delaney

• Scientist
  • With great power comes great power bills.
    • Delaney King
« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2011, 05:15:25 PM »
Awesome figs!  Welcome!

I usually collect old school citadel, but some ral partha and grenadier crept in recently and I have started down that slippery slope too.

Currently building up a dungeon of early 1980's monsters!
Delaney King:  Digital Artist, Sculptor, Character Artist, TransDimentional Spatula Wielder, Sandwich.
My retro mini blog:  http:www.kingsminis.blogspot.com       My own minis and games:  www.darklinggames.com

Offline Damien

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2011, 05:37:43 PM »
Thank you all for the warm welcome!

@Froggy, thanks for the compliment.

@m4jumbo, I love all the dwarfs that Tom Meiers sculpted and thanks for the tip on cropping photos, my next pics are all cropped.

@Doomhippie, I just introduced Basic D&D to my niece and nephew and they loved it, really fired up their imagination. I like the new sculpts as well, I just cant do plastics (I think I'm an old f*rt).

@phreedh, I love your blog! I've been there a few times, actually I bought a few miniatures from Mega Minis because of you. I like Citadel minis as well, I'll post some pics of them soon.

@SBRPearce, I could never figure out why GW clothed all their skaven with robes, that is why I like the ratscum figs, just a giant rat with a weapon.

@Heldrak, Yeah I painted these in the last couple of weeks, I'll put up an old testors paint job some day so we could have a laugh. :D

@Colonel Tubby, funny you should say that I have been trolling ebay for the 'Against the Giants' modules as well. I really like Otherworld minis, the sculpts are fantastic, I used to also go and view their Citadel AD&D site as well (I cant find it any more did they take it down?).

@DeafNala, Thanks, its good to get some feedback on the minis.

@kingofdaveness, You are my hero! I love your style, I go to you site all the time, your minis remind me of my youth drooling over all the hex based minis in WhiteDwarf. Cant wait to see your 80's monsters.

Here are some more pics, it is a Knight with Hammer from Mega Minis (phreedh's fault)

Once again thanks for the warm welcome and C&C are always welcome.

Damien

Offline phreedh

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Carpe plumbum!
    • Phreedh's Ministuff
« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2011, 07:50:13 PM »
@phreedh, I love your blog! I've been there a few times, actually I bought a few miniatures from Mega Minis because of you. I like Citadel minis as well, I'll post some pics of them soon.
Cool! I made an impression! =) Glad I could direct some of your money towards John over at Mega!

Here are some more pics, it is a Knight with Hammer from Mega Minis (phreedh's fault)
Nice one, those minis are such great value for money! Were they priced like a GW mini, it would be a rip-off but at that price, they're not only good. They're good enough! Looking forward to your Citadel stuff, but it's cool seeing all these nice minis I don't know about. Never had much to do with Ral Partha as a young'un. I do have some old grenadier minis I dug out of a box at my parents' place though, but mostly we got Prince August and later on Heartbreaker minis in our local toy stores in Sweden. Didn't have any RPG/minis stores close until I was "too old to play with toy soldiers". I'm glad I grew out of that silly idea. ;)

Offline DeafNala

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
« Reply #13 on: January 05, 2011, 08:27:11 PM »
VERY WELL DONE! You have a real flair for the metallics.

Offline Pil

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • One shot at glory
« Reply #14 on: January 05, 2011, 09:31:00 PM »
Great stuff, lovely metalwork on the dwarf and the knight. The cropped piccies are much better, thanks! My main problem with some old models is that the true 25mm models are just too small to fit into a Warhammer army nowadays.
Let me hear the battle cry
Calling on the wind
Let me see the banners fly
Before the storm begins