Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2024, 02:59:12 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690462
  • Total Topics: 118332
  • Online Today: 732
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Newline Designs 28mm Naval Range  (Read 17417 times)

Offline Darkoath

• Mastermind
Newline Designs 28mm Naval Range
« on: September 13, 2007, 09:18:09 PM »
Does anyone have any pictures of Newline Designs 28mm Napoleonic Naval range?  With all the great rules sets out or soon coming out I am looking to get a crew together for my pirates to fight! :D

The listing is pretty nice but there were no pictures and also no pictures of these in the gallery.

Offline Gluteus Maximus

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2007, 09:06:18 AM »
Sorry no pictures, but I do have a question.

What exactly did RN [or French/Spanish]  naval crews look like at the end of the 17thC?

I'm guessing not too different from the less piratical looking pirates?

I've just realised that I have plenty of pirates, but no Government troops yet. Marines are no problem, but the sailors may be.

Cheers,
Ian

Offline Plynkes

• The Royal Bastard
  • Elder God
  • I killed Mufasa!
    • http://misterplynkes.blogspot.com/
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2007, 09:38:52 AM »
Sailors would look like sailors, whether they were on a King's ship or were pirates.

They would be indistinguishable. There were no uniforms for ordinary seamen then, and what pirates wore was the standard seaman's dress. It wasn't a "pirate uniform" as people think of it today (and you can hire from fancy dress shops).

But manufacturers do tend to make many of their pirates "fantasy" ones, they somehow look how we expect pirates to look, with piratey touches slapped on with a trowel. Those sort probably wouldn't look very good on a King's ship.
With Cat-Like Tread
Upon our prey we steal...

Offline Gluteus Maximus

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2007, 09:59:14 AM »
Thanks, Plynkes, that was exactly what I was hoping for!

I have plenty of more soberly dressed & equipped pirate figures, so they should do the trick  :)

Offline W.B.Kurgan

• Scientist
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2007, 11:23:37 AM »
For British Marines would models for the American War of Independence work? I've no idea how much uniforms changed but (to my eyes) they look a lot like the red coats from PotC (not the most reliable "historically accurate" source material I know, but all I have to go by...)

Mein Flugzeug ist kaputt!

Offline Plynkes

• The Royal Bastard
  • Elder God
  • I killed Mufasa!
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2007, 11:44:13 AM »
Not for the 17th Century, no. But of course, if your campaign is a Hollywood romp kind of affair (like the Johnny Depp pictures) then this kind of thing is a trifling detail that we shouldn't lose sleep over.

Offline Rhoderic

• Mastermind
  • I disapprove!
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2007, 12:33:20 PM »
Here are some sailor miniatures that "look" like sailors, same as how pirate miniatures "look" like pirates:

Outpost Conquistadors range
http://www.outpostwargameservices.co.uk/images/Web%20Photos/masters/sailors1.jpg
http://www.outpostwargameservices.co.uk/images/Web%20Photos/masters/sailors2.jpg

Old Glory:
http://www.oldgloryminiatures.com/proddetail.asp?prod=OGP%2D14

Black Cat Bases:
http://www.blackcatbases.com/product.asp?strPageHistory=category&numSearchStartRecord=0&strParents=117&CAT_ID=117&P_ID=555&btnProduct=Products...

Forthcoming from Eureka are some conquistador-era Portuguese sailors. These might be available already, if you contact them by e-mail (though when I tried it about a month ago, they gave me the cold shoulder (grumble grumble)). For now, you can view them if you join the Practical Soldier Yahoo Group (a group dedicated to European 16th century colonial conflicts) and go to the "Eureka's Portuguese" photo album.
"When to keep awake against the camel's swaying or the junk's rocking, you start summoning up your memories one by one, your wolf will have become another wolf, your sister a different sister, your battle other battles, on your return from Euphemia, the city where memory is traded." - Italo Calvino

Offline W.B.Kurgan

• Scientist
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2007, 01:13:12 PM »
Quote from: "Plynkes"
Not for the 17th Century, no. But of course, if your campaign is a Hollywood romp kind of affair (like the Johnny Depp pictures) then this kind of thing is a trifling detail that we shouldn't lose sleep over.

I was going to ask if there was any chance you can point me in the right direction of a more realistic 17th Royal Marine uniform. Then I thought I'd look myself first and found wikipedia's History of the Royal Marines. It seems that there was no such thing until 1661.

Quote from: "wikipedia"
The name "Marines" first appeared in official records in 1672. The Regiment was very distinct, being dressed in yellow rather than the red of the other Regiments until 1685.

:(

I guess I'll be sticking with the "fantasy" red coats then! :lol:

Offline Lowtardog

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2007, 01:55:43 PM »
I think we are all talking different periods

18th Century or the Tricorne/Mitre period figures

and Laterly the Napoleonic period - Newline and Britannia Miniatures

16th Century - the more Swashbuckler Conquistador period.

I have used WSS Front Rank French for my Generic Marines and gone for the Tricorne for that bit of POTC look. I paint job in blue or grey makes them usable for a number of nations or making my own:lol:

I use the Old Glory European crew and their gun crew are fine too

Offline Lowtardog

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2007, 02:02:47 PM »
THis is a napoleonic (think master and commander) marine

Offline Lowtardog

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2007, 02:05:02 PM »
Royal Marine in 1770s-1780s

Offline Rhoderic

• Mastermind
  • I disapprove!
« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2007, 02:19:44 PM »
For my part I'm not speaking of any period aside from the "swashbuckling period" in it's most general definition. Personally I have no qualms about mixing conquistador sailors with early 18th century ones. Marines are another matter, but I was only speaking of sailors.

Offline Plynkes

• The Royal Bastard
  • Elder God
  • I killed Mufasa!
« Reply #12 on: September 14, 2007, 02:24:43 PM »
This is the earliest image I could find of marines, from the 1740s:

Still outside the Buccaneer or Pirate ages really, but nearer to it than anything else we've yet seen.

(And I think "Treasure Island" is set around this time.)

Offline PeteMurray

• Parapsychologist
  • Scatterbrained Genius
  • Cardinal Murray
« Reply #13 on: September 14, 2007, 02:26:28 PM »
I tend to paint my government sailors a bit more "regulation" even during the Buccaneer period, just because that appeals to my aesthetic sense, not because it makes historical sense. But Polynikes is completely correct in that you couldn't tell a pirate from an honest sailor when they were in port.

Also Marlburian-era tricorne soldiers are your answer for Royal Marines. Their general style goes the longest and they're easier to paint than the fancy baggy uniforms of the SYW.

EDIT: Also, tweaking the noses of the Proper Era Uniform Police is kind of fun.

Offline Lowtardog

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #14 on: September 14, 2007, 02:49:57 PM »
Sorry Rhoderic got side tracked :oops:

Yep the baggy 3/4 lerngth trousers an open shirt  is the way to go