Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 20, 2024, 05:46:48 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689765
  • Total Topics: 118294
  • Online Today: 786
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Newline Designs 28mm Naval Range  (Read 17408 times)

Offline Rhoderic

• Mastermind
  • I disapprove!
Newline Designs 28mm Naval Range
« Reply #15 on: September 14, 2007, 03:01:53 PM »
No worries, I know you weren't directing that comment at anyone in particular. I just meant to point out that in the kind of Hollywood-esque fantasy version of the 17th century that I think most of us play, it really doesn't matter if your sailors originally came from a conquistador range or an 18th century one :)
"When to keep awake against the camel's swaying or the junk's rocking, you start summoning up your memories one by one, your wolf will have become another wolf, your sister a different sister, your battle other battles, on your return from Euphemia, the city where memory is traded." - Italo Calvino

Offline Lowtardog

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #16 on: September 14, 2007, 03:32:40 PM »
In that case the Foundry Sea Dogs and Eureka Portuguese (you can roder these Driect from Nic even though not released I did for my Conquiistadors) would be fine and are quite unifomr in appearance. I use the Foudnry ones as UYorkshire militia for fighting my E lizabethan Irish :)

Offline Lowtardog

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #17 on: September 14, 2007, 03:46:30 PM »
Here is a good link for all thing piraty though older ranges it doesn`t include B Scorpion, Artizan, Crusader, Black Cat

http://www.frothersunite.com/files/wk/sc/pirates/pirates1/pirates.htm

Offline Rhoderic

• Mastermind
  • I disapprove!
« Reply #18 on: September 14, 2007, 04:23:18 PM »
Quote from: "Lowtardog"
Eureka Portuguese (you can roder these Driect from Nic even though not released I did for my Conquiistadors)

That's what I tried. Their reply, as I interpreted it, was that I'd just have to wait for the range to be officially released. I guess I'm not allowed to sit in the "cool kids" table :?

Offline PeteMurray

• Parapsychologist
  • Scatterbrained Genius
  • Cardinal Murray
« Reply #19 on: September 14, 2007, 04:26:54 PM »
Did you try sexy dancing? Show Nic a bit of leg.

Offline Lowtardog

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #20 on: September 14, 2007, 05:41:04 PM »
Surprised at that :o  response

Offline PeteMurray

• Parapsychologist
  • Scatterbrained Genius
  • Cardinal Murray
« Reply #21 on: September 14, 2007, 05:47:30 PM »
Quote from: "Lowtardog"
Surprised at that :o  response

Why? He doesn't have the miniatures. It's not like he can make things worse.  :lol:

Offline Lowtardog

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #22 on: September 14, 2007, 05:51:53 PM »
No I meant Nics response :D I wish I was in the in crowd I would love some of the discontinued minis :love:

Offline Rhoderic

• Mastermind
  • I disapprove!
« Reply #23 on: September 14, 2007, 06:21:17 PM »
It might be I just misinterpreted them. When I first contacted them about it, I wasn't entirely sure what to ask for (all I'd seen were some pictures of "Portuguese" in a Yahoo Group photo album) so I enquired if they could tell me a bit about the range, like what exact miniatures were available and how much they cost. This was where they wouldn't help me, and I just rather got the impression they were saying the range wasn't being sold yet, and I was cheeky to even ask.

Anyway, they also said the range would be up in the webstore in a few months, and since I wasn't really in a hurry to get them, I decided to just wait it out.

Offline Lowtardog

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #24 on: September 15, 2007, 01:03:27 AM »
What I did was took the phtos from Chronofus website and siad I would have one of each :0). There werent so many as there are now however.

http://www.chronofus.net/php/viewtopic.php?t=509

I even managed to get some of the butterfly back banners cast up, so probably a mixed message.

When they are released I would be easier for you to have them posted form Fighting 15s I think which is where I got my Aztecs from.

Offline warrenpeace

• Mastermind
« Reply #25 on: September 15, 2007, 04:23:04 AM »
Quote from: "Plynkes"
This is the earliest image I could find of marines, from the 1740s:

Still outside the Buccaneer or Pirate ages really, but nearer to it than anything else we've yet seen.

(And I think "Treasure Island" is set around this time.)

For late 17th and early 18th Century British marines you can use these Foundry packs MB27 and MB28 from the Marlburian line. (Not vouching for accuracy, since I haven't read any uniform descriptions, just noting what Foundry claims the figures can be used for.)

http://www.wargamesfoundry.com/collections/MARLBURIAN/4/index.asp

It's probably worth checking Front Rank, Dixon, Old Glory, and Irregular Marlburian lines for any similar grenadiers with a low cloth hat.  Those Foundry packs hurt from a price standpoint, but Foundry seems to be running a 20% off special every few weeks, including right now.
Sailors have more fun!

Offline warrenpeace

• Mastermind
« Reply #26 on: September 15, 2007, 04:46:43 AM »
Old Glory has British marines in its pirate line, pack OGP-31, that match the picture posted by Plynkes above:

http://www.oldgloryminiatures.com/proddetail.asp?prod=OGP%2D31

These Marlburian grenadiers from Old Glory, pack MW-21, should work for earlier British Marines:

http://www.oldgloryminiatures.com/proddetail.asp?prod=MW%2D21

Depending on how early you want to set your scenarios, you might want to cut off the socket bayonets.

I'm not sure if these Dixon Marlburian British grenadiers have the low cloth hat or the high cloth miter, because, unfortunately, there isn't a picture:

http://www.dixonminiatures.co.uk/dixoncatalogue.asp?maintype=28

But the best of the lot might be these Front Rank Marlburian British grenadiers:

http://www.frontrank.com/images/wss/british/infantry/bs13_14lg.jpg

But be warned that the Front Rank figures are big, bulky, and beautiful.  They might overwhelm your pirates by weight and good looks alone!

Offline warrenpeace

• Mastermind
« Reply #27 on: September 15, 2007, 06:03:33 AM »
If you are interested in getting some late 17th Century garrison or embarked soldiers generally, not just British marines, then I would recommend the Dixon Grand Alliance range:

http://dixonminiatures.co.uk/dixoncatalogue.asp?maintype=11

The hats are mostly the broad brimmed type popular in the 17th Century, rather than the tricorne hats of the 18th Century.  There is a great mix of matchlocks and flintlocks, some with plug bayonets.  There is also a great mix of poses.  The rebel levy guys might look interesting.  I have only about 10 Dixon figures myself, but they really look great in the bare lead.  As I am not German, they remain unpainted. :? but one of my prolific painter friends has painted up some of these Dixons for use with buccaneer era piriates, and those look fantastic.

Offline Plynkes

• The Royal Bastard
  • Elder God
  • I killed Mufasa!
    • http://misterplynkes.blogspot.com/
« Reply #28 on: September 15, 2007, 10:49:04 AM »
Nice work, Warrenbruhn. A lot of options there. I'd never noticed those Foundry Marines before.
With Cat-Like Tread
Upon our prey we steal...

Offline Gluteus Maximus

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #29 on: September 15, 2007, 06:04:02 PM »
I have a booklet somewhere on William IV' s army. There is a regiment  [forget the name & can't find the book at present :( ] in there which wore red coats, with yellow facings, breeches & stockings with  the "pre-tricorne" floppy hat typical of the 1690s. They ar specifically mentioned as being , if not marines, at least soldiers serving on ships.

I'll try & find it to check on the details.

Cheers,
Ian