Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 23, 2024, 02:23:59 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690361
  • Total Topics: 118327
  • Online Today: 594
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Radiant Prospekts  (Read 11008 times)

Offline Michi

• Galactic Brain
  • Hoist the colours!
    • Tableterror
Re: Radiant Prospekts
« Reply #15 on: January 12, 2011, 06:17:53 PM »
Wow, I am impressed. Sounds easy yet effective and looks excellent. Thanks for the tutorial!

Offline Grimmnar

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #16 on: January 12, 2011, 10:35:27 PM »
The key point in this method (which isn't actually that new or innovative, I think I first read about it in a White Dwarf some 10 years ago) is getting camouflage tones which are relatively close to each other, but still provide "area contrast". Also, hard edges between different tones are softened to provide a gradually darkening "border area" instead.

I believe the term is called "filtering" or something like that. I know MIG has a pretty good article or three on the topic online. :-)

Grimm

Offline Westfalia Chris

• Cardboard Warlord
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Brain
  • Elaborate! Elucidate! Evaluate!
« Reply #17 on: January 12, 2011, 11:00:21 PM »
I believe the term is called "filtering" or something like that. I know MIG has a pretty good article or three on the topic online. :-)

Grimm

Hate to disagree, but AFAIK filtering is something completely different - I was always fascinated by the results, but it is effectively not feasible with acrylics (they dry too fast). I don't want to get back into enamels or even start with oils, so I'll leave it at that - perfectly happy with what my acrylic skills yield.

"My" technique is, basically, simply drybrushing, done to some degree of precision and less indiscriminate than the usual approach.

Offline Westfalia Chris

• Cardboard Warlord
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #18 on: January 14, 2011, 01:56:01 PM »
The "flying tank" finished so far; I still need to paint the loads for the wingtip pylons. The kit includes a choice of "Swatter" and "Spiral" anti-tank missiles, and I intend to leave them exchangeable, and ultimately build a set of the "mechanical grab arms" used to take soil samples on the NBC variant.

Also, I'll build a stable flying base, which will probably feature a toxic waste pond, or something similar to match the STALKER theme. More pics of that hopefully over the weekend.

Painting was kept a bit exxagerated, as befits a gaming piece. Sizewise, it's a tiny bit large, but on the other hand, not dramatically so, and it looks as if it could accommodate 8 troopers in the cabin. Nonetheless, it will be "sardinskaya canskiy"-style.

Offline Silent Invader

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #19 on: January 15, 2011, 12:53:52 AM »
Great project!  8)
My LAF Gallery is HERE
Minis (foot & mounted) finished in 2024 = 32
(2023 = 151; 2022 = 204; 2021 = 123; 2020 = ???)

Offline Westfalia Chris

• Cardboard Warlord
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #20 on: January 22, 2011, 07:39:35 PM »
Next stuff: the Ratnik/LAM set "Road Guards" painted to resemble OMON troops (to keep with the MVD theme).

Offline Anatoli

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #21 on: January 22, 2011, 08:02:47 PM »
Eyegasm  :o  :-*

Offline Hawkeye

• Mastermind
« Reply #22 on: January 22, 2011, 08:25:54 PM »
Brilliant! They're lovely minis anway, but the paint-job really brings them to life. I'm enjoying this project a lot - looking forward to seeing more!
Sono Pazzi Questi Romani

Offline Michi

• Galactic Brain
  • Hoist the colours!
    • Tableterror
« Reply #23 on: January 22, 2011, 10:26:31 PM »
Cool!

Offline Antaak

• Bookworm
« Reply #24 on: January 23, 2011, 09:06:36 AM »
great job sir  :-*

Offline dodge

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #25 on: January 23, 2011, 11:09:48 AM »
Chris you truly are a prince among model makers,

this project is an absolute cracker

dodge

Offline Westfalia Chris

• Cardboard Warlord
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #26 on: February 09, 2011, 08:40:09 PM »
Hi all,

a new addition to the project (also painted a bunch of the "Scavenger" types from LAM, but those won't be seen until the LPL).

Last weekend, I ordered a Shoggoth Slave from Tengu Models. Superb communications and excellent service, and the model is outrageously well sculpted and cast, all in a solid, odourless and easily-drilled (for the tentacle pinning) resin.

Although I am quite the Cthulhu fan, I will be using (and painting) this one as a "Mutant Monster of Pripyat". The paint scheme will be a mottled dark blood, inspired by the mutant monster in Gerhard Seyfried's comic book "Flucht aus Berlin" and the "Thing" in Edgar P. Jacobs' "La Piège Diabolique" (English title: "The Time Trap").

Here's the model assembled, washed and mounted to a 3" circular plasticard base.

More pics as I progress.

Offline commissarmoody

• Galactic Brain
    • Moodys Adventures
« Reply #27 on: February 09, 2011, 09:38:58 PM »
I love the OMON troopers. And I cant wait to see the Mutant painted up.
"Peace" is that brief, glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading.

- Anonymous

Offline Axtklinge

• Scientist
« Reply #28 on: February 10, 2011, 09:52:40 AM »
Very cool tutorials, and great painting!
Love your camo on the troopers.

Offline Westfalia Chris

• Cardboard Warlord
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #29 on: February 13, 2011, 05:40:15 PM »
Right! Here's the finished piece, with the two main painting steps - I thought it would be more, but it almost painted itself on its own.

I basecoated with a Vallejo Foundation White/Gloss Varnish mix, followed by two "self-shading" layers of a 3:1 mix of Vallejo Model Color Carmine Red #908 and VMC Hull Red #985.

This was followed by a drybrushed mix of Carmine Red and VMC Medium Fleshtone #70860, focusing on the major bulges and using a fine brush to "precision paint" some more detailed highlights along very prominent eye sockets and pores.

This was followed by painting the eyes flat black, with black green highlights (strongly thinned-down paint, to just give a green hue).

The base was painted with VMC English Uniform #921, followed by drybrushes of various khakis, light browns and greys in various areas to give some variation. Rocks were painted a brown-tinged light grey mix. Flock is a "tundra grass" or something sold by GF9 with some lighter-green static grass added - I got it really cheap, but if you're really looking for it, buying from a model railroad supplier is usually much better value for money than the usual GF9 prices.

One shot with one of the previously-shown OMON troopers for size:

The sign was made in Photoshop, printed onto cardboard, varnished and "corroded" using various rust and brown tones with some quartz sand mixed in. I've uploaded a high-resolution image containing numerous of the signs in some variation which you can download here: Radioactivity Warning Signs (LARGE FILE: 1.3MB).

Thanks for looking!