Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 09:43:37 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690693
  • Total Topics: 118343
  • Online Today: 1009
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Post-Apocalyptia, Part Two - 4-29-18. Did you think I was done?  (Read 96473 times)

Offline Argonor

• Elder God
  • Attic Attack: Mead and Dice!
    • Argonor's Wargames
Re: Post-Apocalyptia, Part Two - The return to Fallout (new terrain 12-6-16)
« Reply #270 on: December 17, 2016, 09:03:50 PM »
Nice work on the trees! Basing terrain on CDs is certainly something I wouldn't have thought of and now I'll have to have a crack at it.

CDs are fantastic as bases - it is nigh impossible to make them warp (although I've seen it done with a ton of paper-mache).
Ask at the LAF, and answer shall thy be given!

Cultist #84

Offline Sinewgrab

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • All to all, by my mustard!
Re: Post-Apocalyptia, Part Two - Big load of new stuff! 12-29-16
« Reply #271 on: December 30, 2016, 04:06:18 AM »
Sooooo, about 4 months ago I found  a seller on Ebay who was doing 3D printed post-apocalyptic terrain and I was unsuccessful in getting any of them, even though they were inevitably going for just over the asked for minimum bid.  He put out a new set that was essentially a "town square" set, and I thought it looked okay in the photos, so I bid, and $45 later (with free shipping) I received a 10 complete piece set that I was mildly disappointed in.  Granted, at $5 a 'stall', it isn't bad.  This is them with a black undercoat and misting of white primer to give a better idea of how the detailing was going to look.  There is a fishmonger, blacksmith, weapons dealer, potter, fruit seller, gallows, stocks, well, apothecary's wagon, fortune teller, and a toolshop.

He didn't spend much time on clean up, and the in person detail was less than appealing.  For the cost, I am not sore, but I would have hoped for a bit more detail, and less strands.  The 3D printes can probably tell me what he was doing, but I don't know, so...

This is compared to a set of Tabletop World pieces I bought at the same time - I had a commission check burning in my bank account.

So, while I thought about it, I painted up a bunch of jersey barriers I gotten in another auction.  I am 90% certain they were recasts, but they part of a job lot that someone was just trying to ditch.

Whew! Picture heavy - need a new post!
"There is no known cure for the wargaming virus, only treatments with ever increasing doses of metal."

Offline Sinewgrab

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #272 on: December 30, 2016, 04:31:00 AM »
And now on to the rest of it.

So, each of those stalls had a roof, that I agonized over, because they all looked the same.  This one has a signboard attached, and I wasn't real happy about the look.

So I painted another Cape Cod cottage.

From here on out, all pictures will have a Leia figure for scale.  For obvious reasons.  Damned 2016 - not enough to take my Prince, and my Goblin King, but now my Princess as well?

So, after much thought, I went crazy.  Did green stuff casts of some of the Tabletop pieces for fruit and fish, dremeled out the not-so-great details, because the stalls themselves looked fine, and POOF! Magic happened.

The Gallows is still a touch short, but (shrug).

The stocks are a touch large, on the other hand, but I left it removable, because I do have a few 'witch' and slave figures in stocks or on posts that I can set up there.

The apothecary's cart became an Aqua Cura cart...

Here is a dumpster and stack of crates I also threw in - was with the joblot with the barriers.

And just to draw out the suspense, I painted those Tabletop World pieces.  These I was overjoyed with.  Detailed, clean casts, beautiful stuff.

And here we are with the modified end products.

Farm stalls...

The smith's...

Fortune teller's...

Fishwife's...

Tool and stuff seller...

Weapons dealer...

The well...

And the final, everything but the house and barriers group shot.  That's how I spend a Christmas weekend when my wife tells me there is no 'honey-do' list because it is Christmas, and I helped get everything together for the family dinner without being asked to...after 20+ years, I figured out how to game the system.  :D

All in all, I was mildly disappointed in the product, but I think my end version works well.  The cloth covers 'cover' up a lot of ills on the roofs, and once I added beads, castings of fish and other stuff, I won't be embarrassed to put this on the table.  I am considering using all of this with my Holocostco to make a trading hub for a Pulp Alley game   Should look really good.

Offline Dr Mathias

• LPL Champion (S6,S7) Bronze Medalist (S5)
  • Galactic Brain
  • Purveyor of the one-and-only Miracle Elixir!
    • Dr. Mathias's Miniature Extravaganza
« Reply #273 on: December 31, 2016, 03:42:31 PM »
Impressive variety, looks like a thriving economy!
a mixture of quick parts, sarcastic humour, reserve, and caprice.
Dr. Mathias's Miniature Extravaganza

Offline Sinewgrab

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #274 on: December 31, 2016, 03:48:27 PM »
It certainly seems so - once I combine this with what I had made for the caravan stop and my Holocostco, I think I am going to try and run a feral ghoul invasion, or a maybe a Reaver, um, Raider attack on a settlement.

Offline Marine0846

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #275 on: January 01, 2017, 01:27:34 AM »
Your new stuff looks good Neil.
On the table with all your other things,
they will blend right in.
Semper Fi, Mac

Offline Zombie Ste

• Bookworm
« Reply #276 on: January 01, 2017, 03:33:43 AM »
Nice work all round buddy :-*
Though I am really envious of the amount of hobby time you've managed to get in over the festive period. I've barely managed to paint 5 minis since Christmas day, and I'm a fast painter :'(
Keep up the good and super productive work,  I look forward to seeing more of your stuff

Offline Sinewgrab

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #277 on: January 01, 2017, 04:29:22 PM »
Your new stuff looks good Neil.
On the table with all your other things,
they will blend right in.

Thanks - I have been back on post-apocalyptic this holiday season, even though I really need to finish my WW2 Americans for Bolt Action.

Nice work all round buddy :-*
Though I am really envious of the amount of hobby time you've managed to get in over the festive period. I've barely managed to paint 5 minis since Christmas day, and I'm a fast painter :'(
Keep up the good and super productive work,  I look forward to seeing more of your stuff

I don't have children - that makes a huge difference in my hobby time.

Offline Sinewgrab

• Scatterbrained Genius
Re: Post-Apocalyptia, Part Two - 1-8-17 coupla cars and a scrap pile
« Reply #278 on: January 08, 2017, 05:16:31 PM »
So, a few things I finished up while I was waiting eagerly for the legal start to the Build Something contest...

First, a "scrap heap" model from armorcast, with a few added bobs.  I got it used, and I am pretty sure that there are pieces broekn off or filled in with sand on here, but what the hell...so I added a poorly cast motorcycle, and lots of rust pigment powder.

And a couple more cars from the Antenociti's Infinity stuff.  I don't like these nearly as well, but they were part of a deal.

Offline Sinewgrab

• Scatterbrained Genius
Re: Post-Apocalyptia, Part Two - 1-12-17 A new find!
« Reply #279 on: January 12, 2017, 10:17:35 PM »
So, my wife was at Michael's Crafts, and she sent me a photo of a trailer she saw, that she thought might work for terrain (best wife ever).  So, out of curiosity, I wandered down there with a figure in my pocket, and found this.  Ran about $13, has a light in it (which I promptly removed for another project) and I suspect I may get a few more with the ubiquitous 40% off coupons Michael's hands out.

So, for the first one, all I did was use my standard weathering/shading wash for Fallout stuff, and it looks like this.

I could weather it a bit more, easily enough, or repaint it, but for a simple almost ready piece, it is worth the money.  It is part of their new line of stuff meant for indoor 'faerie gardens' and such.  I found it across from the flower section.

Offline Sinewgrab

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #280 on: January 13, 2017, 12:43:11 AM »
This isn't really a post-apo kind of vehicle, but since I can't seem to find a Vertibird model, or make one that I don't smash in frustration, I picked up a "Planes" heli that was on sale for $10 bones at a local store, and gave it a quick repaint.

It is just a touch small, but I think it works well enough as a plot point or such.  Especially if I decide on some zombie action at some point.

Offline Ahistorian

• Mad Scientist
    • A-Historical Wargaming
« Reply #281 on: January 13, 2017, 12:52:18 PM »
This is a fantastic thread!  :o  I'm very glad to have come across it just as I started getting back into Post-apoc.

Offline Sinewgrab

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #282 on: January 13, 2017, 11:54:13 PM »
Don't forget to look at my first thread, noted at the beginning of this one, just to toot my own trumpet...

Offline clanmac

• Mad Scientist
  • Danger - Stupid and Industrious
    • Clan Mac's Post Apocalyptia
« Reply #283 on: January 15, 2017, 10:08:08 AM »
Lovin' that trailer. Great find. And as I'm catching up, the finished market is superb.
Mac

It's not big, or clever, but let's do it anyway

https://www.facebook.com/Junkt0wn/

Offline Sixmilletoe

• Librarian
  • Shop smart...
« Reply #284 on: January 15, 2017, 10:31:12 AM »
Just seen this thread...love it!  :-*