Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2024, 09:08:48 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Post-Apocalyptia, Part Two - 4-29-18. Did you think I was done?  (Read 96343 times)

Offline horridperson

• Mad Scientist
  • Doing the Will of The Horned Cat
    • Void Spaces
Re: Post-Apocalyptia, Part Two - 1-12-17 A new find!
« Reply #285 on: January 16, 2017, 08:32:56 PM »
Neat stuff all around!  Your pictures as a guide the 3D prints didn't look too bad.  They definitely looked as though they were intended for a fantasy setting rather than the PA repurpose you pulled off.  Nice result;  I think they will grow on you.

Offline Sinewgrab

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • All to all, by my mustard!
« Reply #286 on: January 17, 2017, 06:58:35 PM »
Neat stuff all around!  Your pictures as a guide the 3D prints didn't look too bad.  They definitely looked as though they were intended for a fantasy setting rather than the PA repurpose you pulled off.  Nice result;  I think they will grow on you.

I hope so - I think I need to do a big ass trading post game soon, with all of my various 'shops' and 'carts'.

And my latest build - I guess I am too into the settlement system in FO4, cause now I am building things I do there as a regular occurrence.

Who doesn't love orchards?

So, I used some HO scale fruit trees, and then some "grass" off a mat I found in the bargain bin at Michael's.  I tend to plant a lot of razorgrain as well as mutfruit, for its use as brahmin bait.  I have a few left, and may just create another smaller orchard as well.  I wanted to make it look like the settlers were watering the trees regularly, so I added ink to darken those areas.
"There is no known cure for the wargaming virus, only treatments with ever increasing doses of metal."

Offline supervike

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • supervike's stuff
« Reply #287 on: January 18, 2017, 08:24:10 PM »
Fantastic.  Your tabletop has to look pretty damn impressive, with this all laid out!

Offline Sinewgrab

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #288 on: January 19, 2017, 02:40:31 AM »
Fantastic.  Your tabletop has to look pretty damn impressive, with this all laid out!

I will say that I am not embarrassed to put a game on it.

And my latest addition - I found a cheezy little motorcycle in the $1 section of the local mart, and found that the orc legs I had in my bitz box worked great, and then the body, and a crypt ghoul head, and now I have Fratelli, the traveling Ghoul tinker, on his prized touring bike.

He may not be pretty, but no-one turns away his technical expertise when they realize he has kept that bike running for 200 years...

Offline Dr Mathias

• LPL Champion (S6,S7) Bronze Medalist (S5)
  • Galactic Brain
  • Purveyor of the one-and-only Miracle Elixir!
    • Dr. Mathias's Miniature Extravaganza
« Reply #289 on: January 19, 2017, 08:37:53 PM »
He may not be pretty, but no-one turns away his technical expertise when they realize he has kept that bike running for 200 years...

Sort of like Rudolph the Reindeer, ridicule him until you realize he can provide something you need ;)

I like him, cool concept and seems to go together with the bike quite well.
a mixture of quick parts, sarcastic humour, reserve, and caprice.
Dr. Mathias's Miniature Extravaganza

Offline Sinewgrab

• Scatterbrained Genius
Re: Post-Apocalyptia, Part Two - 1-29-17 Riverboat crew!
« Reply #290 on: January 30, 2017, 06:18:18 AM »
Now, I will admit, I use the ad-hoc wear what you can find attitude of the post-apoc world as an excuse to paint all kinds of figures, base them the same, and multipurpose the hell out of them.  These guys can go into BoB, post-apoc, Pulp, WWW2...Mostly Pulp Figures, but I have no idea where I got the Captain from.

And thus, the crew of the Carp, my riverboat.

The Captain

His wife and first mate

And the two deckhands, one with monkey, the other with wine.

Offline horridperson

• Mad Scientist
  • Doing the Will of The Horned Cat
    • Void Spaces
« Reply #291 on: January 30, 2017, 06:24:12 AM »
Your repaint of the trailer took it from questionable to fantastic!  Weathering looks great and now it doesn't look like a dwelling for happy go lucky garden gnomes :) .  The riverboat crew is looking good as well..Are they stuck ashore or is there a riverboat in their future :) ?

Offline Sinewgrab

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #292 on: January 30, 2017, 06:49:34 AM »

Got this for them...built it the same way - to use for multiple periods.  Boats just don't change that much when they aren't military...

It was in use in my just-posted AAR...check the far right of the photo.

Offline Sinewgrab

• Scatterbrained Genius
Re: Post-Apocalyptia, Part Two - 2-6-17 cabins!
« Reply #293 on: February 07, 2017, 04:21:00 AM »
So, recently I combined an order with a pal of mine, for whom I paint terrain in exchange for monetary compensation, for a lot of Sarissa Precision buildings.  I owe him about 8 hours of painting at the moment, as between Bolt Action and Fallout, I have a need of ruined bombed out buildings.

But first, I did a couple of their North American cabins.

I learned some major things here - one, these are REALLY easy to build. I built the 13 houses I had ordered in less than an afternoon.  Well planned by Sarissa.

I also had to modify my usual painting style to use for these.  The detail is not as deep as plasticville or gw plastics, so you have to modify your drybrushing and washes to work.

And most irritatingly, there is nothing that is helpful on the net (that I could find) that tells me what colors might have been used on homes like this in the trun of the century.  I wanted to paint them in such a way that they could be used for VSF, Western, Pulp, WW2, or Fallout.  Is there anything on what colors might be used in America at the turn of the century?  F*** no.  You're on your own, maggots. 

Grumble.

Offline Infovore

• Assistant
« Reply #294 on: February 07, 2017, 08:49:05 AM »
The US Library of Congress has some photo collections on-line. There may be some help in this one - although it is 1939-44, so the period might be a little late  :?
http://www.loc.gov/pictures/collection/fsac/ Farm Security Administration/Office of War Information Color Photographs

Offline Ultravanillasmurf

• Galactic Brain
    • Ultravanillasmurf
« Reply #295 on: February 07, 2017, 10:20:23 AM »
The US Library of Congress has some photo collections on-line. There may be some help in this one - although it is 1939-44, so the period might be a little late  :?
http://www.loc.gov/pictures/collection/fsac/ Farm Security Administration/Office of War Information Color Photographs
Fascinating photographs.

Nice buildings, Sarissa do seem to know what they are doing.

Offline HerbyF

• Mastermind
  • Why fear nightmares when you can be one
« Reply #296 on: February 08, 2017, 02:58:44 AM »
And most irritatingly, there is nothing that is helpful on the net (that I could find) that tells me what colors might have been used on homes like this in the trun of the century.  I wanted to paint them in such a way that they could be used for VSF, Western, Pulp, WW2, or Fallout.  Is there anything on what colors might be used in America at the turn of the century?  F*** no.  You're on your own, maggots. 
  The choice of colors varies widely from one area of the country to another. In some areas the still painted building in the kind of bright colors used in the Victorian period, others were more into a more modern & subdued. In some areas anything other than a good whitewash was thought to be over the top.
LHV 2015 +200 2016 +770 2017 +636 2018 +888 2019 +1015 2020 +656 2021 +174 2022 +220 2023 +312 2024 +104

Offline Muzfish4

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #297 on: February 08, 2017, 11:22:33 PM »
Nice work, interesting to hear how well the Sarissa buildings go together.  Food for thought once I've got my Knights of Dice stuff finished.

Offline dinohunterpoa

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Everything is Better with Vampire Supermodels
    • Isla de Santa Biscaya
« Reply #298 on: February 09, 2017, 12:23:14 AM »
Sinewgrab, I've got good results with mdf buildings by scoring and carving the boards with a modelling knife in order to get a more textured effect - time consuming but nice.

This picture is of a historically-accurate 1:43 diorama of Nenana Town, Alaska, at the mid 20s; as you can see, most sand coloured and light woods colours on the buildings:

;)

« Last Edit: February 09, 2017, 12:28:50 AM by dinohunterpoa »
"Because life is made of inspiration, dreaming and insanity in about equal measure."
- Erzsébet Báthory - 1560-1614 (?)

Offline Sinewgrab

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #299 on: February 09, 2017, 02:13:32 AM »
That's very cool, but where are the sources?  That is my main grump. One would think there would be sources for such things all over, but the crickets are deafening...