Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 05:51:44 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: So Why Play 15mm?  (Read 5657 times)

Offline Roebeast45

• Mad Scientist
    • Roebeast's Magical House of Sunshine
So Why Play 15mm?
« on: January 18, 2011, 03:00:54 AM »
I've been noticing lately an apparent rise in the popularity of 15mm miniatures for all genres of games. As a predominately 28-32mm gamer I'm curious as to why this is.

Could anyone who plays 15mm games please clue me in? Thanks in advance!

~Brian Roe aka Roebeast
"This is no time for ease and comfort. It is the time to dare and endure."

-- Winston Churchill

Visit Roebeast's Magical House of Sunshine! http://roebeast.blogspot.com/
And RSquared Studios: www.rsquaredcomics.com

Offline jamesmanto

• Mad Scientist
Re: So Why Play 15mm?
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2011, 03:47:45 AM »
Economics. More figures/dollar spent.
Smaller footprint for units means you can have bigger battles on the same table.

Offline Sheerluck Holmes

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2011, 04:05:47 AM »
I use 25/28mm for skirmish to say Platoon/company level games, and 15mm for big battles where I want to represent brigades, divisions or even corps.

I use the 15mm because it is cheaper, so I can afford to build bigger armies for less cost than 25/28mm, and as I have a limited sized playing area it enables me to play those games in a smaller area.

Offline Barry S

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mad Scientist
    • http://s92.photobucket.com/albums/l12/LeadBear/
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2011, 04:34:55 AM »
When I started out in the late 80's I went with 15mm due to budget and space restrictions.

Over the years I've just stuck with the 15mm as all my terrain is in that scale, despite the best efforts of Conquest Miniatures, Perry Miniatures and Empress  :D
Barry

http://s92.photobucket.com/albums/l12/LeadBear/

Offline AKULA

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2011, 09:18:07 AM »
I've been noticing lately an apparent rise in the popularity of 15mm miniatures for all genres of games.

Interesting - I would have said the exact opposite.

I can understand the financial/space advantages of 15mm, but most gamers I know have been selling off toolboxes full of 15mm, to make room for a smaller number of larger, better sculpted minis, that can show off their painting.

Offline Conquistador

• Galactic Brain
  • There are hostile eye watching us from the arroyos
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2011, 09:31:22 AM »

I can understand the financial/space advantages of 15mm, but most gamers I know have been selling off toolboxes full of 15mm, to make room for a smaller number of larger, better sculpted minis, that can show off their painting.

Situations vary regionally.  LOL, fer sure!

I find the 1/600th Combined arms miniatures are drawing down my 1/300th aerial and AFV figures.  

For modern ships I find 1/6000th (yes, right number of zeroes) gives me a sense of the range of the weapons.

But the biggest driver in avoiding 15 mm is retooling terrain for me.

I have 25/28 mm houses and terrain so it kinds locks me into those size figures for Horror, VSF, Historical, etc.

Gracias,

Glenn

Edit:  I do hope this is an honest question of curiosity and not a thread for "one true scale" arguments/attempts to convert people or put down a scale.  On other sites this type of question frequently becomes acrimonious breast beating.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2011, 09:36:08 AM by Conquistador »
Viva Alta California!  Las guerras de España,  Las guerras de las Américas,  Las guerras para la Libertad!

Offline Calimero

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2011, 11:54:24 AM »
I've been noticing lately an apparent rise in the popularity of 15mm miniatures...

Interesting - I would have said the exact opposite...

I think you’re both right. It seem to me like wargamers started to standardised their collections lately. They choose to play different periods in different scales depending on their idea of the best approach to said periods… I’ve heard of people selling of their 15mm but I’ve also heard of people selling their 28mm too. Maybe the people you know had change in interest and therefore changed the scale of their army.

More on topic, I don’t think that price is that relevant with all the new hard plastic and manufacturers offering (OG Army or Renegade Regiments for examples) available now. I think that the main factor is the "smaller footprint for units [so] you can have bigger battles on the same table" as jamesmanto put it in his post.
A CANADIAN local hobby store with a small selection of historical wargames miniatures (mainly from Warlords). They also have a great selection of paint and hobby accessories from Vallejo, Army painter, AK Interactive, Green Stuff World and more.; https://www.kingdomtitans.ca/us/

Offline Lowtardog

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2011, 12:31:15 PM »

Now I would agree, I think moderns, Sci fi and certainly when considering Splintered light minis-fantasy all seem to be rising in popularity.

I think 2011 will be the year for 15mm Sci Fi with the Tomorrows war rules coming out and companies like Critical Mass and Khurasan etc Also Rebel miniatures for zombies and the like

I also think historical rules from ambush alley, The Commander ranges, FOW etc are seeing a return.

It has taken an age or seems that what for sculpts to compete with 28mm but they seem to be happening in the last year or so, the only figures prior to the above I had seen previouslty were AB/Eureka that ever made me think of getting into 15mm for a long time.

I do think it is cost, space, speed of painting, suitable vehicles etc which would and must make it arratctive also going large in battles and scale of battles (Akula excepted)

I do however not get the buzz from looking at 15mm other than the Splintered light Furries, but have thought of 15mm Scifi as a nice project without the £20 price tag for each vehicle which is what hurts me if I want to do 28mm as I can never keep it to skirmish ;D

20mm is one I see as stagnating, with the exception of Sgt Major and Elheim the minis seem to have become very dated staying in the 1990s in terms of quality and sculpting style with I would argue 15mm surpassing a lot of them
« Last Edit: January 18, 2011, 12:34:53 PM by Lowtardog »

Offline Luthaaren Von Tegale

• Scientist
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2011, 12:58:48 PM »
I think you’re both right. It seem to me like wargamers started to standardised their collections lately. They choose to play different periods in different scales depending on their idea of the best approach to said periods

I'd agree with that - my C18th collection is all 15mm as are my sudan colonials, my Revolutionary Wars are 6mm, my ACW is 25mm as is my Back of Beyond collection. It all depends on how YOU want to play a certain period.

From experience I'd say if you wanted to fight out larger scenarios but only have a smaller table then go for 15mm or even 6mm. For small scenarios then 25mm would be better.

The one thing I would say is that gamers age they may find that they are drawn to larger sized figures if only so that they can see the things clearly enough to paint!

vT

Offline Roebeast45

• Mad Scientist
    • Roebeast's Magical House of Sunshine
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2011, 05:08:48 PM »
Edit:  I do hope this is an honest question of curiosity and not a thread for "one true scale" arguments/attempts to convert people or put down a scale.  On other sites this type of question frequently becomes acrimonious breast beating.

Not all all! Although most of my minis are 28mm or so this is just because of the games I've played. In the past I've played 6mm and 15mm depending on what system was being used. I think each game is best served by a certain scale. And right now I'm working on a ruleset and I'm still trying to decide which scale works with the whole detail/force size/cost/footprint equation.

A few years back I noticed some players who would never have looked at 15mm got into them because of Flames of War. And recently it seems that every time I see a new sci-fi release someone has to post "will it be in 15mm?" or "too bad it's not 15mm".  Perhaps this is just a vocal minority.

Still a lot to consider.

Offline Conquistador

• Galactic Brain
  • There are hostile eye watching us from the arroyos
« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2011, 11:11:13 PM »
Roebeast45,

Awesome!  But then this is LAF where I find people avoiding the deadly  >:(  subjects, treating each other with  :o  respect (at first I thought too much but I find it better than another 3 letter site which pains me to see deteriorate (well, IMO,) lately,)  and stay focused.  Well, pretty much.   lol   I have adjusted... or is it assimilated?   ;)

I am attracted to all the delightful 15 mm toys  o_o  but just can't justify  :-X  yet another scale/terrain set.

Gracias,

Glenn

Offline 6milPhil

• Galactic Brain
    • Slug Industries
« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2011, 11:29:38 PM »

Tend to agree... although I've drifted away from 6mm due to my son preferring 28mm combined with just how far 28mm has come on in range and quality.

Not selling a damn thing though, still have some micro scenics from almost 30 years ago...

Online FifteensAway

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2011, 06:03:47 AM »
Brian,

I am one of those advocates of 15 mm - but that is a personal choice, not a "religion" and to each his or her own.

As to why 15 mm?  Well, some of the arguments above, certainly.  Also, I just like the figures - and the extraordinary variety.  Recently I've been compiling a list of "character" figures in various 15 mm ranges to see what's out there for off the beaten path figures and I've been surprised at just how many figures there are.  I'm now on the lookout, as a result of this searching of mine, for appropriate dismounted Musketeer figures as in Alexander Dumas variety, and of course the Cardinal, etc.  So, while there is always the desire for something not "out there" the simple reality is the choice is astounding.

But I suppose the primary reason I gravitate to 15 mm is painting.  I am, at best, an average painter but painting in this scale means I can paint pretty nice figures in fairly quick time.  There are those who take more time and turn out spectacular work.  I could probably do a nice job in larger scales but I like the little fellows. 

And then there is this, and this is not an exaggeration: I've accumulated something right around 30,000 "figures" in this scale and the sheer centrifugal force keeps me locked into the scale.  And, no, not all painted, oh no, oh no.  I've even come to the point that the "masses" of troops only need to be painted to a simple adequacy and save the quality jobs for the special ones only.

And lastly, a brief comment about the up surge in 15 mm.  If it can be traced to a single source, if at all, I'd point to the new figures from Blue Moon Manufacturing available through Old Glory (the big ones, not the 15s version).  While they are in fact closer to 18 mm figures, they are superb in variety and have set a new standard to be met.  Not in size, mind you, but in the way they are packaged, at least some of them.  Where else can you buy one pack of figures for $15.00 and get thirty unique sculpts?  I know you can do this in there pirate and wild west ranges and it appears in others as well.  And we  aren't talking the "old" Old Glory with minor variations of the same figure; we're talking distinct sculpts.

Which ever way you jump, hope you have a great time.  As to the 15 mm world, if you decide to go that way, enjoy the swim, the waters just fine.

FifteensAway Casting Off

Offline rob_alderman

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Dribbling wreck...
« Reply #13 on: January 19, 2011, 09:49:17 AM »
I actually really like 15mm, but I also am a diehard 28mm gamer.

I love 15mm.co.uk, they have that 80s charm that none of the modern companies have. True, the other companies might have crisper, more 'modern' sculpts, but when it comes to old school its always the plain-spoken lads from 15mm.co.uk, up in chilly Scotland!

USE ME, for 15mm sci fi, Fantasy and WW2 are all great sets of rules, very quik and easy and I think that's why I like 15mm.

I also really like HOTT. It's simple and effective, really all you want from a good minis game.  :)

Offline jamesmanto

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #14 on: January 21, 2011, 02:10:39 PM »
Now when contemplating a new period I tend to think along the lines of "What have I already got for terrain that can be used for it?"

Since I never have the money to make a big oder and rely on serendipity to get my minis what is available at the Bring and Buy or as a deal from a friend is quite often a decisive factor.

But I think any game with combined arms armour and air and artillery with ww2 or more modern weapons in 28mm just looks really silly to me! Plus it's expensive.

If I could afford to retool my entire collection and terrain I'd happily switch my ancient and 18th century armies to 28mm, but I'm not repainting all that now!