Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2024, 12:23:35 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690456
  • Total Topics: 118332
  • Online Today: 606
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Primer Search  (Read 7379 times)

Offline pixelgeek

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Zac's Gaming Blog
Re: Primer Search
« Reply #15 on: January 24, 2009, 05:13:02 AM »
I'm using GW ones (and they're really good). Also I've made some experiences with Vallejo black one. It's also not bad. But GW is better.

I would recommend GW Chaos Black as well. It sells in Germany for about 11,50 EUR I think.

GW doesn't sell primer. They sell black paint. GW stopped selling their Chaos Black as a primer years ago. This is a very important distinction. GW might tell you to use it as a primer but I'd hesitate to use it.

I think its very inferior to actual primers and if you paint miniatures with a significant amount of detail in them then you really notice the extent to which the GW Chaos Black fills in details.

Check your local hardware store and see if you can find black automotive primer. Its very fine (as in the texture and density of the paint), covers well, and, most importantly, doesn't fill in details on your figs.

Offline pixelgeek

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Zac's Gaming Blog
« Reply #16 on: January 24, 2009, 05:16:55 AM »
Though it seems like GW changed the mix slightly when I bought a new can last month. It still works fine. But when you first spray the figures it looks thick but dries ok.

GW did indeed change the Chaos Black that is available in North America. For years I used it and wondered why people in the UK and Europe would curse about the quality of it. Then GW changed the formulation for the Chaos Black available in  North America and I found out why :-)

The Chaos Black really fills in now. It also has a habit of not bonding correctly with some metal figs and having the paint slough off the high points and fill in the details of the fig.

Nasty, nasty stuff now.

I had two cans of it and was too cheap to get rid of it so I had to use it sparingly and then cover in the figure fully with a black wash.

I know several people that had to strip figs that were primed with the new formula Chaos Black. Local GWs here were getting constant calls for people looking for the old cans of Chaos Black. No luck sadly :-)

Offline Calimero

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #17 on: January 24, 2009, 01:58:37 PM »
... GW did indeed change the Chaos Black that is available in North America. For years I used it and wondered why people in the UK and Europe would curse about the quality of it. Then GW changed the formulation for the Chaos Black available in  North America and I found out why :-)...

I was wondering why I have so much troubles lately with my GW black “primer”… Now I know why!

For people living in Canada I would suggest using a grey primer that I find at Canadian Tire… I can see no brand name on the can as it just say Primer on one side and Apprêt on the other. It’s a great product that cover well and the last can I bought cost me 5.00$ (against 15.00$ for GW) and this is for the same quantity of primer.

The Chaos Black really fills in now. It also has a habit of not bonding correctly with some metal figs and having the paint slough off the high points and fill in the details of the fig.

Nasty, nasty stuff now.

I had two cans of it and was too cheap to get rid of it so I had to use it sparingly and then cover in the figure fully with a black wash.

ALL the figures that I sprayed with GW black HAD to receive a black paint wash too (using Tamiya’s Flat Black) to cover the area were the primer didn’t hold!
A CANADIAN local hobby store with a small selection of historical wargames miniatures (mainly from Warlords). They also have a great selection of paint and hobby accessories from Vallejo, Army painter, AK Interactive, Green Stuff World and more.; https://www.kingdomtitans.ca/us/

Offline Argonor

• Elder God
  • Attic Attack: Mead and Dice!
    • Argonor's Wargames
« Reply #18 on: January 24, 2009, 02:26:41 PM »
I think I'll start looking for car primers  ;)
Ask at the LAF, and answer shall thy be given!

Cultist #84

Offline Svennn

• Galactic Brain
  • Balding bloke with a 'V'
    • Svenns Little Men
« Reply #19 on: January 24, 2009, 02:35:05 PM »
I have used car primer for 30 years and never had any problems. Halfords sell it in the UK for about £5-£6 for 300ml and its decent stuff but I always co with Tetrosyl/Holts etc. from independant carspares shops - 400ml for £2.25 (probably the same stuff as like GW Halfords definately do not can their own)
"A jewelled sceptre plucked by order to serve their cause"

Offline Chairface

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #20 on: January 24, 2009, 02:38:52 PM »
I was wondering why I have so much troubles lately with my GW black “primer”… Now I know why!

For people living in Canada I would suggest using a grey primer that I find at Canadian Tire… I can see no brand name on the can as it just say Primer on one side and Apprêt on the other. It’s a great product that cover well and the last can I bought cost me 5.00$ (against 15.00$ for GW) and this is for the same quantity of primer

Thanks for the advice. I have used Krylon White primer from Canadian Tire for years without problems.

Offline Hammers

• Amateur papiermachiéer
  • Elder God
  • Workbench and Pulp Moderator
« Reply #21 on: April 04, 2009, 10:25:10 PM »
Just got myself a pot of Liquitex gesso, based on the praise it's gotten in this very thread. If it is not holding up to said praise, some of you people should be expecting lawsuits. ;)