Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 11:31:11 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686473
  • Total Topics: 118102
  • Online Today: 857
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Southern Europe Tiles - Suggestion and Comments needed!  (Read 3077 times)

Offline Sangennaru

• Galactic Brain
  • The Lazy One
    • The Lazy Forger
Southern Europe Tiles - Suggestion and Comments needed!
« on: January 29, 2011, 10:50:41 PM »
hi everyone!

this is my first time trying to make some good quality south european tiles.
many people used strains of corrugated cardboard, or parts of straws for the single tiles.

i decided to use some lead film, cutted and bended in single pieces.

tell me what you think

i'm really interested in your comments, because i'm planning to make a bigger version of them (for a 28mm building), but before start i need to have in mind exactely what to do! :)

cheers,
Jack

EDIT: i know that the precision is poor, but it is meant to be. if you think i need more precision, i could easily apply to that ^^
« Last Edit: January 30, 2011, 11:56:26 AM by Sangennaru »

Offline carlos marighela

• Elder God
  • Flamenguista até morrer.
Re: southern europe tiles
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2011, 11:13:29 PM »
Jack,

I think that is an excellent idea, those are some of the best versions I've seen, however......... Unless you are going to cast them or just use them for the occasional single or loose tile I suspect you will find it's a hell of a lot of work to do an entire roof, let alone a village's worth. Still if you resin cast them somehow.

I've tried all the popular methods. Sliced plastic straws in half, then cut up into tile lengths. I'veused the styrene sheets for railway modellers and I've even tried the PVA, corduroy and paint method. Frankly I didn't find that one very convincing so I ditched it.

Styrene sheets are usually not terribly well defined. Straws are too fiddly for anything but doing roof edges, loose tiles and ridge tiles. I've found doubling and tripling them for edges gives a better approximation of scale, otherwise they are too thin.

Oddly enough the best commercial ones (at an affordable price) are the ones in the various Italeri houses. They aren't especially accurate if put under intense scrutiny but they are thick, the sections can be cut with some effort and when painted up they look superb. As a result I bought up a number of these 1/72 buildings as a source of parts.

Attention terrain makers. Affordable and readily useable pantiling is an unfilled market niche.
Em dezembro de '81
Botou os ingleses na roda
3 a 0 no Liverpool
Ficou marcado na história
E no Rio não tem outro igual
Só o Flamengo é campeão mundial
E agora seu povo
Pede o mundo de novo

Offline Sangennaru

• Galactic Brain
  • The Lazy One
    • The Lazy Forger
Re: southern europe tiles
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2011, 11:23:01 PM »
Attention terrain makers. Affordable and readily useable pantiling is an unfilled market niche.

i know them, that's why i'm planning to cast them! XD

i made many other moulds and casts, some of them will be soon available to be bought, some  alredy are...

i agree that it should be a hell to make them for scratchbuilding projects, this roof is for a modular casting projects for some 28mm WWII houses

i think that everyone should need some 28mm houses around, expecially if the quality of the sculpt is pretty good and the price affordable. and of course they will also have the insides, so they can be used for skirmish games.

thanks for the comments... any suggestion?

Offline Sangennaru

• Galactic Brain
  • The Lazy One
    • The Lazy Forger
Re: Southern Europe Tiles - Suggestion and Comments needed!
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2011, 06:39:35 PM »
painted the tiles!

not really satisfied for the paintjob but it gives an idea.
and forget the upper right tile... just damaged for my distraction! :P

Offline carlos marighela

• Elder God
  • Flamenguista até morrer.
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2011, 12:30:07 AM »
Just let me know if you plan on selling completed roof sections.

Offline Cheeky Monkey

• Librarian
  • no matter where you go,there you are
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2011, 02:47:44 AM »
Hirst Arts has a mold of that type of roof tile that is really quite good
http://www.hirstarts.com/molds/moldsroof.html
If pro is the opposite of con, what is the opposite of progress ?
http://miniaturerealities.weebly.com

Offline Sangennaru

• Galactic Brain
  • The Lazy One
    • The Lazy Forger
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2011, 08:01:57 AM »
Just let me know if you plan on selling completed roof sections.

i will, but i have some other stuff on the workbrench, so it will take a while.

@Monkey, i never liked Hirst Arts moulds. of course they are useful for a simple scenery, but i really don't like the quality. and they are really,.... like a child toy, i don't know the proper word in english... :-\
if you want to cover a whole city they are probably the best choice, but if you want a good quality piece for a nice house, i would never reccomend them.

anyway, i'm planning to make the roof for this project (will be on sale, soon or later! :) ) http://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=25857.0

Offline havre

• Lurker
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2011, 09:02:44 AM »
many people used strains of corrugated cardboard, or parts of straws for the single tiles.

i decided to use some lead film, cutted and bended in single pieces.

tell me what you think
i'm really interested in your comments, because i'm planning to make a bigger version of them (for a 28mm building), but before start i need to have in mind exactely what to do! :)
Interesting technique you got there, Jack. As you're going to cast it I guess weight is no issue. The scale looks spot on. I've seen this done with all kinds of materials, including italian pasta. I found that plastic tubing made for a self watering system had the right dimentions for the job, only needing some cutting and sanding. I also found the placing of induvidual tiles somewhat time consuming, especially as roofs like these normally contains a second bottom layer of tiles turned the other way around in addition to yours. Here's a visualization over at TG. I guess the second layer makes for somewhat more difficult casting, but it could maybe be remedied by the use of greenstuff or filler?

Here's the endresult of my own experiments.

And another one here.

Offline Sangennaru

• Galactic Brain
  • The Lazy One
    • The Lazy Forger
« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2011, 09:09:15 AM »
firts of all: Wow, what a wonderful project you're making on terragenesis, congrats!

and really nice tiles too, i love them!.

i don't care about the lower layer, i just need to fill the holes for avoid undercuts all around! :)

thanks again for the links, you work is really inspiring!