Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 02:39:35 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686662
  • Total Topics: 118119
  • Online Today: 815
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Combat Zone rules overview + AAR  (Read 2160 times)

Offline Anatoli

• Scatterbrained Genius
Combat Zone rules overview + AAR
« on: January 28, 2011, 03:27:02 PM »
Finally got the time today to write down a overview of the Combat Zone rules, and included a small demogame Battle Report to it as well to illustrate how the game play flows.

Check it out on my blog: http://anatolisgameroom.blogspot.com/2011/01/combat-zone-how-rules-work-blog-special.html

Offline mattblackgod

• Mad Scientist
  • Post Apocalyptic Nut Job
    • Post Apoc Wargames Forum
Re: Combat Zone rules overview + AAR
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2011, 09:14:35 PM »
Great re-veiw and batrep. Combat Zone is one of those games I keep returning too.
Mattblackgod's world - Games and minis blog.

Offline commissarmoody

• Galactic Brain
    • Moodys Adventures
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2011, 11:05:52 PM »
YES!
"Peace" is that brief, glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading.

- Anonymous

Offline Bako

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Loopy as a clock-work orange.
    • Hitting Dirtside
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2011, 10:29:49 PM »
You've really got me wanting to get into Combat Zone now :D. Terrain and figures were both top-notch!
Everything is better with lizardmen.

Offline Pil

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • One shot at glory
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2011, 12:33:12 AM »
Nice review and battle report. I hope you don't mind my nitpicking but I found some parts in your text where I felt I could elaborate.

It could be a typo but Elites have 7 action points, not 8.

Shooting will never cause a figure to rout, a 'to wound' roll that is 1-3 less than the targets toughness will panic the target. A target can only get a rout reaction in close combat (by the method you described) or from a failed reaction test. Also, a figure that receives a rout counter in close combat can be automatically taken out of the game by spending another AP to attack him again, this is where a lot of troopers and ganger die.

You cannot spend 3 actions to remove a reaction, you have to remove the reaction by rolling on the reaction test table. A model succesfully removing a reaction has only three action points for that turn (as he recovers) but otherwise acts normally. If the reaction is not removed the model stays panicked or routs.

There is a difference between squad leaders and gang leaders. Gang leaders have better dice in close combat (2D8), a higher toughness (8) and a reroll. Squad leaders have normal close combat dice (2D6), normal toughness (7) and no reroll. Both squad leaders and gang leaders are 'leaders' and can keep squads coherent. They also both give bonuses on reaction tests and initiative. Only gang leaders have the higher stats and a reroll and are more expensive as a result (15 points rather than 7). Squads always have a leader and a sub-leader, gangs only have a gang leader and can never have sub-leaders. This basically means that gangs have a better fighter in them but squads are more organised as they effectively have two leaders in each squad and if one gets killed one you can still maintain squad coherency. You can read more about squads, gangs and their leaders on page 5 of the rules.

Communication units have to bought for all members of a squad, otherwise they don't work (they can't speak to each other). This makes them an expensive but very handy upgrade.

I also noticed that you haven't used some actions yet: you can burst fire for 2AP firing all your shots in one go (at different targets if you wish), so your gun runners firing two assault rifle shots could have fired three for the same amount of action points. You can drop down for 1AP and give the enemy a -1 to hit, this is usually very handy! Also, turning around costs 1AP so walking around a building and diving back after shooting can be a costly affair.

I hope this helps a bit, I really enjoy Combat Zone too from time to time and I hope you have many happy games with the rules, and don't forget to post them here 8)
Let me hear the battle cry
Calling on the wind
Let me see the banners fly
Before the storm begins